1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do "eyes full of adultery" or anything else in 2 Pt 2 mean someone isn't saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Former Member Amorphous, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Former Member Amorphous

Former Member Amorphous Nephilim Slayer

I've been troubled at times by 2 Peter 2, specifically verse 14. Sometimes it has caused be to question the things I thought were my testimony because sexually immoral thoughts are one of my struggles that I pray often against. Can a saved Christian be described by the characteristics in 2 Peter 2?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter 2 is undoubtedly describing unsaved people. You don't describe your exact predicament, and to be honest, you'll be better off talking to your Pastor than baring your soul on this board.

You know the Sermon on the Mount. If you have a sin that is as dear to you as your right eye or your right hand, you need to cut it out of your life. I may be quite wrong, but I'm assuming you to be a young, single man. I would advise you to look for a godly young woman and marry her. 'It is better to marry than to burn.'

Don't give in to sin. Don't 'let go and let God.' Treat your sins as so many Agags and strike them down without mercy before the Lord. Read Holiness by J.C. Ryle.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amorphous, when I have a question about a passage, I look at the whole context ....

At the end of 2 Peter 1 (starting in verse 16), Peter gives testimony as to why his readers can trust what he says to them:
    • His testimony as an apostle who actually saw Jesus and the things of Jesus, specifically the Transfiguration.
    • The fulfillment of prophecy and then he explains how to have assurance in the interpretation of prophecies - listen to the Holy Spirit and not the private interpretation of humans.
    So NOW, beginning in chapter 2, Peter tells them that just as there were false prophets back in the day, that these new Christians are going to encounter false teachers and to beware of them.

Peter describes the false teachers in chapter 2. It's a long list, whew!
    • They bring destructive heresies and deny the Lord.
    • They bring destruction on themselves.
    • They blaspheme the way of truth and they have many followers.
    • They teach covetousness (it's all about ME) and exploit their listeners and deceive them.
    • God is going to punish them just as he punished Sodom/Gomorrah and angels who sinned.
    • God is going to deliver the righteous from the false teachers.
    • They are fleshly, unclean, and despise authority.
    • They are presumptuous, self-willed, and not afraid to speak evil of authority when angels won't even do that.
    • They are like animals.
    • They speak evil and will perish in their own corruption.
    • They "carouse" in the daytime.
    • They are spotted, blemished, have eyes full of adultery [or keeping his eye on the adulterous woman and looking for ways to practice sexual immorality], and cannot stop sinning and entice others to sin with them.
    • They are accursed and have a heart trained for coveting. They have followed the way of Balaam.
    • They allure their listeners through lust of the flesh and lewdness and with great swelling words of emptiness.
    • They promise liberty when they, themselves, are slaves to corruption.
    The end of this chapter is Peter's warning of following these false teacher because once someone is saved and they listen to men like this and fall back into wicked living -it's like a dog returning to eat its own vomit.

This whole chapter is about the false teacher. Peter is giving a warning not to listen to the lies of these false teachers and not to fall back into the behaviors

All people struggle - that's why Peter is giving the warning here. While this list is about unsaved people - the false teachers, it doesn't mean that if a Christian has the occasional struggle with a behavior or two here that they are lost. It means they struggle.

We are to be self-controlled and self-disciplined. We are to master sin or it will master us.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As mentioned by others, the false teachers say sinning is not sinning. For example, sex outside of marriage is sinning. But a false teacher will say it is ok, everybody does it, and so forth.

But to restate the obvious, we are saved, spiritually in Christ, where we are continually washed with His blood. When we sin, because we are justified, it is just as if we had not sinned. Some might say this gives us a license to sin, so grace might abound all the more. May it never be. We are to strive every day, to follow Christ in paths of righteousness.

I used to avoid going down to our pier, and walking because there were all these teenage girls in skimpy bathing suits, and my mind to jump at the chance to consider how great it would be to do bad. But I knew the instant such a thought flashed through my mind, it was sin. I never tried to rationalize it. I shifted my attention to something else, a bird, the smell of bar-b-qued fish, anything to change the subject. I do not watch R rated movies. My TV has settings that stop most - but not all - vulgarity.

You might have a worry if you did not feel convicted by your battle with fleshly desires. And some people do a whole lot better in this area than others. All any of us can say, for we all stumble, is to never give in, strive every day to follow Christ. We are to be diligent, not sinless in our estimation. We know we are sinless in God's estimation because of the blood of Christ, but every day we are to try to close the gap between our behavior and Christ's sinless behavior.

• Agree Agree x 1