1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do I get what I want for Christmas ?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Nov 27, 2014.

?

Read post # 1 for the Question

Poll closed Jan 5, 2015.
  1. Susie - Ask outright for a gift you want

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Woody - Drop hints (as many as needed)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Terry - Appreciate what you recieve

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The tradition of some families (even if all are adults) is tell what they would like and basically they know they will get it.

For example Susie will tell mom - I would love to have a cocktail dress to wear to the New Years Eve party. By specifically asking for the dress, Susie knows she has a 99.9 % chance of receiving it.

Now over at Woody's family, no one would ever think about asking outright for something - but they do use subtle hints. For example Woody's wife gets in the pickup truck with him, and Woody states -"Boy, these floor mats are in bad shape. I need to buy some new ones - I guess I'll have to go to the Army-Navy Store and take another look at those military style ones I saw the other day.

Finally we have Terry's family. No one even suggests what to get one another - as they believe they should know each other well enough as to buy a practical and needed gift.

So which family would you most likely fall in line with?

#1 Salty, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    madre always asks. I bought her a hideous sweater once. She's been very specific since.

Believe it or not she's been asking for kitchen stuff. Got her some knives a few years back. Last year was a 14 inch fry pan. She's getting a meat slicer from Cabelas this year. Picked it out her own self to boot!

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I would be very careful not to cross madre

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe in telling - especially if asked or if you KNOW someone is wanting to buy you a gift. Why get a hideous piece of jewelry that you will never wear?

[​IMG]

With extremely close family and friends, it's the best way other than giving money. Who wants to go back and return things? Ugh!

However, I believe I should be grateful for whatever I receive even if I re-gift it.

Gratitude is the key to a happy season of giving.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm with Suzie. In our family, I ask for lists of what people want and then I will work from that. Just because it's on the list doesn't mean you're going to get it so it's often a surprise. :)

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Wife and I haven't bought gifts for each other in several years. We usually just get something we both want/need. Last year was a Ninja Blender. I think the year before was a vacuum cleaner.

Our 20 something-year-old sons get the same thing every year, gift cards.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I buy my gift and my wife buys hers. She wraps them and we both get exactly what we want.

The tradition started one year when she intercepted a package from Amazon I purchased right before the holiday. I figured it would come afterwards but she wrapped it up and gave it to me. It was a surprise and one of the best gifts in years.

Rob