1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do it! I double dog dare you!

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by Spinach, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll do it! I'll try to make them tonight.

3. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Wow. I wonder who made that recipe up--they must have been desperate!! But I admit, I'm curious, and may just have to try it. LOL

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Perhaps it was someone with a gluten allergy---or someone trying to incorporate more fiber---or someone who simply didn't have any flour left in the house and needed brownies NOW!

5. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I have a friend with a gluten allergy, and I'm going to email this recipe to her. She loves brownies, and hasn't found a tasty, gluten-free recipe. Maybe this is the one!

BTW, I wonder if it would work with Splenda?

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I've not used Splenda----does it work well in other recipes?

Fructose is supposed to be a little better on the system than plain ol' sugar, and I've used that before.

Honey could be used, but that would change the texture quite a bit.

In place of the oil, applesauce can be used, but that changes the texture as well (it gets rid of the cholesterol, though).

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

I use splenda all the time, made brownies last night. Works pretty much like sugar, a slight difference in taste, but not bad, not bitter, all in all pretty good. We like it anyway.

I don't know if it's me doing something wrong or what, I have found a few recipes spelnda doesn't seem to work well in, like cookies. I think some recipes may need a spoon of regular sugar. In some recipes it requires sugar for the reaction to the other ingredients. Still haven't tried it though to fnd out. And I beleive I read somethng like that online before.

8. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Same here, Donna. Tried Splenda with some things, and it just didn't turn out right. My mom is diabetic, and the fructose and honey won't work for her. So maybe I'll give the splenda a try!

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I just got these out of the oven and we're eating them right now. They are good! made the recipe as directed, but left out the coffee. If I hadn't put the beans in myself, I wouldn't have known they were there.

These areren't quite as dense and moist as the regular kind, but they taste just fine!

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I'm getting a slight bean aftertaste, but not enough to ruin the flavor or anything. I think I'll add the coffee next time, it should fix it.

My favorite boxed brownie mix is called "No Pudge." It is to die for! If I remember correctly, all you add is plain yogurt. They even have a mint chocolate mix. It is expensive, like $4 a box, but it sure is yummy!

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

No Pudge, sounds fat &/or suagr free.
    I have to make everything dessert/ sweets from scratch.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'll have to try that too, sounds good!

One of my favorite Asian things is the little THINGS, don't know what they are, filled with sweet red bean paste.
    Oh, and sweet bean soup...yummy!

13. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is it pastry, Gina, or like a bread?

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Black beans are very good for diabetics and we don't use white flour for anything anyway.

I would have to change some of the other ingredients too, but I'm going to try them.

If they turn out good, I'll post my recipe changes here to make it diabetic and heart healthy.

15. Spinach

Spinach New Member

That's really cool! I'm glad you were brave enough to try. I may try if I can find some black beans here.

As for the aftertaste, perhaps more cocoa, a little cinnamon, vanilla, or the coffee would help.

16. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Please do.

I'd love to hear reactions from kids and husbands. Did they enjoy them? Did they even know the difference? That kind of thing.

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

They aren't bread OR pastry. Let me think how to describe it because it's really common and I know you know what it is, but I don't know the name.

It's white and a tiny bit translucent, but not white like bread and the texture is not at all the same.

The texture is like bread dough, except more jello like, although nowhere near like jello.

The taste is more like wet rice, except chewy, until you get to the bean paste.

Ya know, even to me that's sounding pretty yucky!
    I think I'm gonna have a hard time convincing anyone of how good they are after all this!

18. jimc06

jimc06 New Member

Gina... Could it be Mochi?

Kathy

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I looked it up and I think it is! Now I know the name. LOL
    Whenever I went shopping it was usually just written in Chinese or something, so I never knew what to call half the stuff I bought.