1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do messianic jews have to keep the law?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Feb 19, 2008.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And then there is always the Malachi 3 statement where God accuses His people of "robbing God" by withholding the tithe.

There are a number of places to find the law of tithing from scripture if you use all 66 books.

in Christ,

Bob

2. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Sorry Bob. Strike 3, again.

Anybody else reading this: please read about Linda's experince and her admonition to read Galations and let the Holy Spirit guide you.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good point!

in Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anybody reading the words of Christ in the Gospels "as if" they can then "cancel Christ with Paul" in Galatians -- is misreading Paul.

5. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Galations 6:12 As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. 13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. 14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. 15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. 16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

As compelling as that kind of logic is --- as a response to the specific question regarding Paul in Acts 21 -- I will stick with scripture.

Having said that - I am not arguing in favor of the Messianic Jewish focus on the ceremonies. My point is that those who argue in favor of "sola scriptura" methods should not be "going everywhere BUT Acts 21" when a question comes up regarding that text.

There needs to be something more than "lip service" paid to the "sola scriptura" claim in "test cases" where a text is brought up that "does not immediately please" -- some solution other than "avoiding the text to answer the question".

in Christ,

Bob

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

In my own experience with the Messianic Jewish movement, I have seen situations similar to your sister's...and the more "gentiles" who get pulled into this movement (which, I believe to be just another branch of Judaism), it is becoming more the rule than the exception. I worked for a "gentile" Christian who actually "converted" to Rabbinic Judaism...went through the ceremonies and the whole nine yards...to become Jewish. As far as I know, this man is still gentile, unless some Jewish person gave him a blood transfusion! At the present time, he is the "Rabbi" (that's what the Messianic congregations call "pastor") of a Torah Observant congregation in Fort Collins, Colorado...still gentile too!!

I pray that the Lord will convict your sister.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. In Matt 5:17 the word for "to fulfill is πληρῶσαι.

2. In Rom 3:31 "we established" is ἱστάνομεν.

3. We surely not talking about the same word here, and the meaning certainly is not the same.