1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do More with Less in the workplace..?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MR._MESSY_AKA_GLA, Oct 5, 2006.

1. MR._MESSY_AKA_GLA

MR._MESSY_AKA_GLA New Member

Hi everyone. Can Baptists or believers "Do more with Less" in the workplace..? Is this possibly a case of "downsizing?"...I am not sure.

To me this topic may be similar to what happened in Exodus 5.
    .....Here is an overview of Exodus from Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Bible: LL.D. F.S.A., (1715-1832), "Exodus 5 - "Moses and Aaron open their commission to Pharaoh, Exo_5:1. He insultingly asks who Jehovah is, in whose name they require him to dismiss the people, Exo_5:2. They explain, Exo_5:3. He charges them with making the people disaffected, Exo_5:4, Exo_5:5; and commands the task-masters to increase their work, and lessen their means of performing it, Exo_5:6-9. The task-masters do as commanded, and refuse to give the people straw to assist them in making brick, and yet require the fulfillment of their daily tasks as formerly, when furnished with all the necessary means, Exo_5:10-13. The Israelites failing to produce the ordinary quantity of brick, their own officers, set over them by the task-masters, are cruelly insulted and beaten, Exo_5:14. The officers complain to Pharaoh, Exo_5:15, Exo_5:16; but find no redress, Exo_5:17, Exo_5:18. The officers, finding their case desperate, bitterly reproach Moses and Aaron for bringing them into their present circumstances, Exo_5:19-21. Moses retires, and lays the matter before the Lord, and pleads with him, Exo_5:22, Exo_5:23." [a free download from http://www/e-sword.net ]

....I was prompted to start this thread because of 2 of my good male friends, Baptists, are going through this. One is in a state government planning, developing, or constructing highways. Another is in a city or town street department plowing snow off the streets, etc. The rules or work conditions for each man has changed with a new elected offical(s) and the leader(s) for each department.

For the state employee with a new government leader, then the procedures have changed with a new political party in charge. There seems to be more to do with less resources. Perhaps refunds for speaking in another city or state has been reduced. Perhaps refunds for traveling to the same for "continuing education" of some kind has been reduced. Job morale seems to be way down. More could be written about his details but this will have to do for now.

For the city employee when an employee quits or retires or dies, then that employee is not replaced. The same work must be done but with fewer employees. Their holiday days, vacation days, and sick days may be combined. So then the employee has much fewer holidays off with pay. Again, job morale seems to be way down. Some city union employees may have to bit on keeping their jobs but doing it under different rules, different benefits, lower wages. In my words...how low can you go?

This could be broadened beyond governmental workers. Perhaps this is true of service industries, of manufacturers, of newspapers and other publications, etc.

Americans seem to be competing with other players, with other nations.

I may not be thinking straight. I may not be seeing the larger picture.

Back to the beginning....I am still concerned about my two working brothers. The city employee is in his 60's and may be retiring in a year or two. If and when he retires, then it will made it harder on his fellow remaining workers. He might be
    replaced but with 2 part-timers, being paid less hourly wages than he is now receiving for maybe 20 hours weekly or less with no insurance benefits, etc.

Again, does this relate to the Exodus 5 that I referred to?

Yes, I have multiple choices...and not a single question. I feel that it is all related.

Thanks, mr. messy or MR._MESSY_AKA_GLA. :tonofbricks:

2. MR._MESSY_AKA_GLA

MR._MESSY_AKA_GLA New Member

Mr._messy_aka_gla

Please email me if you want to. thanks. :tonofbricks:

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think there is a difference between the Exodus 5 account and the "do more with less" that's going on today. Exodus 5 was about retribution. Today it's about economy. Not that I sympathize with it in either case.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This has been happening since the invention of the printing press. The richer have always farmed out their labor to the poorer. It just seems to be happening in America and some are feeling the pinch. The highly skilled are doing well though.

Sometime when you get a chance read "The World Is Flat" by Tom Friedman. The picture is much bigger than our little world. It is global.

5. LorenB

LorenB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know how it is. I am the principal of a small Christian School. Our enrollment has been steadily decreasing over the past 3 years and I have had to cut staff and double up the teaching loads of my teachers. I also have gone from teaching 3 hours a day to full time teaching, doing the janitorial after school and helping with the after school program. It is not because those in authority are without compassion. They probably have no choice.