1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do my political views make me a bad person?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FR7 Baptist, Mar 3, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
  1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Since a lot of people on here like to bash "liberals", I thought I'd ask the question.

2. Walguy

Walguy Member

Bad, no. Wrong and seriously misguided, yes.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That statement certainly cuts both ways ... depending on where the individual stands. :smilewinkgrin:

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, if they're bad political views. Politics basically states when the state will use its overwhelming force to coerce its citizens. A liberal is a tyrant, a conservative is a liberator.

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does one's political view make one a bad person? In the vast majority of cased i'd say no. There are exceptions, however, in my opinion. The Nazi German leadership, hard-line communists, politically-driven terrorists, and the like.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Political views don't make a person bad. Did "The Nazi German leadership, hard-line communists, politically-driven terrorists, and the like" (to use Arbo's examples) only become bad after formulating their political stances? To say they did is surely putting the cart before the horse.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the question means, do my political views reveal me as a bad person?

8. mandym

mandym New Member

I don't understand this thread or its real purpose. What is it you are trying to accomplish here?

9. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I disagree with you on your views, but I don't think you are a bad person. When I first joined you sent me a PM welcoming me and I appreciated that. Although I think your wrong on most things, I commend you for sticking by your convictions especially here where you are in the minority.

10. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

David Lamb- I'm not sure if this is a rebuttal to my post, but if it is, I read the question as Aaron has.

Clarification- I should have been more specific in my examples (nazis, commies, et al). I meant those in leadership and the "true believers".

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul, I don't remember the exact quote, nor who said it but the following, I think, is applicable to you - based on what I've read of your past posts.

"If you aren't liberal when you are young, you have a hard heart; if you aren't conservative when you are older, you have a soft brain."

I think you are on the road to realism; you just haven't had enough real-world experiences yet for you to realize the pitfalls and futility of liberalism. That will come, I hope, as you mature and you honestly observe the results of liberal policies.

This is not to say that conservatism is perfect by any means, just that it's far better that the other option for society as a whole over the long haul.

(I'm glad it's you on the short end of "experience" with me on the long end - not interested in a repeat.)

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks, Arbo! No, it wasn't a rebuttal to your post - I just quoted your examples of "exceptions" - it saved time typing them out again. :)

Re your clarification, you actually said "The Nazi German leadership" in your earlier post.

But I apologise for misunderstanding the OP. Now that both you and Aaron have said that "make me a bad person" means "reveal me to be a bad person," I reckon I was being too literal. Sorry!

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Wow. Just wow. What a guy.