1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do SBC Churches Support The BF&M?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Dec 5, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder how many SBC churches actually abide by the following excerpt from the BF&M?

“VI. The Church”
    “A New Testament church of the Lord Jesus Christ is an autonomous local congregation of baptized believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel; observing the two ordinances of Christ, governed by His laws, exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by His Word, and seeking to extend the gospel to the ends of the earth. Each congregation operates under the Lordship of Christ through democratic processes. In such a congregation each member is responsible and accountable to Christ as Lord. Its scriptural officers are pastors and deacons. While both men and women are gifted for service in the church, the office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture.”
    “The New Testament speaks also of the church as the Body of Christ which includes all of the redeemed of all the ages, believers from every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation.”

I find it interesting that the BF&M states, “Each congregation operates under the Lordship of Christ through democratic processes.”

To suggest that there was a democratic process is to suggest that godliness is through a democratic process. A democratic process is not biblical nor is it necessarily godly. A democratic process can be very ungodly if the voters are ungodly.

How many SBC churches are actually applying, “While both men and women are gifted for service in the church, the office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture.” I understand that to mean that women can be deaconesses, but not pastors. We do not call teachers, teachers and teacheresses. There seems to be a big issue over female deacons.

#1 gb93433, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democratic processes in the N.T.

Acts 6:5 "The statement found approval with the whole congregation: and they choose Stephen...."

The twelve brought the matter before the whole church, gave their opinion, and the whole church decided it was a good idea.

Acts 15:22 "Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them....."

James gave his opinion on what should be done about gentle converts. The apostles and elders approved, and then the whole church appoved of what James had decided.

Concerning the question of female deacons (servants), I find scripture, particularly the I Tim.3 passage, to support female deacons as long as they do not teach or have authority over men.

The role of the deacons was always meant to be one of a servant to the church. It was not meant to be a position of leadership or power within the church.

Scripture supports the multiple elders model of leadership,IMHO.

Concerning your specific question, I doubt if 5% of Southern Baptists have ever read the BF&M, much less know particulars stated withing.

peace to you:praying:

#2 canadyjd, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  3. donnA

donnA Active Member

our church does not allow women pastors or deacons.
    are you disagreeing with autonomy? seems so.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've always understood the BF&M as a statement of shared beliefs but not explicit commands.

I'd be suprised if 5% of our faithful parishioners knew anything about the BF&M much less that it existed.

This can be the case for every kind of congregational polity. While congregational polity isn't perfect, it is the more biblical example we have available to us. I am worried about too many baptist churches taking on episcopal polity and guising it as some kind of modified congregational.

Probably because there are a healthy amount of SBC churches that have female deaconesses. You've got to choose your battles wisely. :)

Just for what its worth, in two of the churches where I have served they chose not to adopt the BF&M 2000 and have stayed with the older version. Being SBC, at least for me, doesn't mean you impartially adhere to the current common confession. We can definitely disagree over the BF&M and still cooperate. But I think you and I might agree on this. :)