1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do slimline/ultrathin bibles last long?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Paul Rittman, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Paul Rittman

Paul Rittman Member

I am thinking of getting a new bible, in a slimline version (you know, the kind that is about as wide as your thumb, with tiny print and few pages). If I do get it, I would get one primarily for taking to church on Sundays. For my private devotions, I would use a larger volume at home; for study I use software.

Do slimline bibles last? They look pretty flimsy to me. As I said above, I wouldn't put it to much use at all (and I do have a cover for it, regardless). What experience have users here had with slimlines?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess the first thing to do when purchasing a bible is deciding what you want to do with it.

If it is just a 'bring to church bible' and your eyes are good, a thin-line would be fine.

On the up-side:
    • it's light and portable, even stylish.
    • It's not going to get heavy use just going to church
    • You don't need extensive study notes or reference material.

On the down side:
    • There is very little room to write notes.
    • It's hard to take notes on the thin-tissue-like paper
    • There may be some bleed-through or even transfer of notes to the opposite page.
    • As you age you may begin to have trouble seeing it in a few years.
    • Expensive bibles are harder to give away to someone who needs one.

Rob

3. Dolour

Dolour Member

Ive spent quite some time looking for a portable Bible, to carry with me to church, and finally settled with this one.
    Gotta say that it exeeds my expectations.
    Its really suprisingly thin(when i unpackaged it i first thought they sent me the NT only) and pretty sturdy.
    Optically its just "ok", only has one marker ribbon, has rather little room for notes, but its standard print, and doesent come with any comments or footnotes, which sort of was an important point to me.
    Print quality if pretty good, the paper is remarkable sturdy for its thinness, and it only costs a fortune(for a leather bonded bible).
    I can really recommend it, even tho i at first was sceptical due to the fishy publisher(whos mother company publishes the satanic bible), and even after a long search i couldnt fing anything that suits the purpose better.

#3 Dolour, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

I agree with what's already been posted on this thread with this personal observation that would apply especially to Bibles.

Probably the biggest expense for practically any hard copy Bible that you'll purchase will be that of its binding.
    As a general rule, the better the binding, the higher the overall cost for the Bible.

6. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

I recently purchased a slim line one as a gift for my sister. She likes it and uses it to take back and forth to church. She had a older, bigger one but she prefer the thin one now. I guess it all depends on the use. I am thinking of gettng myself one now.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

I don't have any complaints with those types of Bibles. I believe they would last long, depending on how you take care of it. Actually, it doesn't matter if they are hardbound or just slim line, what's important is what's written on it, and how much you'll invest time in reading the scripture.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If Nelson ever prints THIS BIBLE again it is well worth it. It cost about $100 when they were printing it and mine is still in nearly mint condition despite regular use.