1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do some doctrines steal from the Glory of God?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Skandelon, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your rationale is irrational because we believe sin is by God's permission not by his pleasure in sin and what he permits He does within the broader guidelines of His ultimate glory, although that may not be apparent presently. Hence, no contradiction for us to claim that sin robs God of His glory in the temporal sense as the scriptures plainly state that (Rom. 3:23 "come short of the GLORY OF GOD") just as the scriptures plainly state that ulitmately all things permitted by God will glorify God as anything that would not work to that ulitmate end would be restrained by God (Psa. 76:10; Rom. 8:28).

You are simply inventing a straw man argument to burn.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    InTheLight

hello ITL...let's see what is on your mind:type:

ITL...can you name anything at all...that has come to pass, or that will come to pass...that is {not ordained of God} could you offer a biblical explanation of this how God is God, and yet...in your mind things happen outside of His control. be specific if you can.

ITL.....are you saying that you are not one of God's elect?
    The way you post this indicates you see being elect of God as a dirty word, or something you can speak with contempt about.
    Are all , everyone, who believes by God given faith...ELECT..??
    Again...answer and offer some bible please..like here;

1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ,

according to the faith of God's elect,

and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

I enjoy this teaching and am thankful everyday for it...are you?
    Do you believe you are elect of God?

If you can show where i make such a claim...post it. i do strive to know as much as i can know and have much to still learn.

Is it possible you are trying to undermine me personally as if to dismiss what i post because we are not in agreement? Be a big boy and offer where you think i am in error,and offer scripture to demonstrate if I offer something defective....i will read and consider it..I will surely do that.

Do you think it is just possible that you do not like the teaching itself..on an emotional level.So you think that by trying to portray me in such a way as you have done you think it will all just disappear? maybe think that over a bit more. ITL...offer whatever critique you want...i welcome it if it is meant to correct me.:thumbs:

ok..let's once again look at your list here...
    Yes he does....
    30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

ITL....where does it say God has to save all men.he has not purposed to do so.That he saves any is His business.He has chosen to save all he can jstly save according to His Holy purpose.I trust God is doing just as he has Covenanted to do...Do you believe so...or do you find fault with God..Rom9

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
    you seem to indicate there is ITL
    15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

ITL..could you speak to these verses and explain your understanding to me, rather than try to diminish me..based on your speculation on my character.

Show me how these verses do not say what they clearly say on this matter as you find this idea .....not correct.
    free will does not exist...so this starts on a wrong premise.

The God of the bible declares himself to be...do you believe He is ITL, or do you think of a god who can only do what you approve of?

Did Adam do it? or did God send angels to tie him down and force feed him?
    God gave Him his word and the certainty of what took place...Adam sinned.
    God did not sin.
    This whole let's blame God for Adams sin...comes 24/7 from those who turn from the biblically revealed truth.
    the context defines it to anyone who is honest about it.
    there are no contradictions...but there are many other misunderstandings.:thumbs:

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Skandelon writes:

Response:

:type: :type:

#23 preacher4truth, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bumpity-bump.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Rom. 7:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

Your argument is based upon the very same premise of this objection against Paul claiming God can harden whom he wills and have mercy on whom he wills and raises up men like Pharoah to use how he wills so how can God condemn what He purposed to glorify him?

Your argument is based on the very same false premise. If God permits sin then how can he judge sin if it ultimately works to His own glory. If God raises up such to do his will than how can God condemn them for doing exactly what He willed. If God is glorified by sin then why should we or God oppose what glorifies God. Arminianism is the system of the objector to Paul.

#25 The Biblicist, Jan 16, 2014
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You said arminianism is sin. Who created arminianism' in the determinist's model? Nobody is talking about permission.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Look at what you are asking! You first admit that we consider Arminianism as what? ANSWER: "sin". Then you ask who created "arminianism" or "sin" in the determinist model? Thus you are asserting that sin must have been created rather than permitted.

However, in my system "sin" is by permissive decree only and eventually overruled (Psa. 76:10). In my system of interpretation God is not the author of sin, although he created the mechanism that necessarily gives permission for the entrance of sin - accountable free will in Adam (not outside of Adam).

So, where does your imagined inconsistency exist in my system????? The only way you can find any inconsistency is to falsely charge me with believing that God created sin. However, I have provided in another post a complete answer to this that Skandelon nor you can answer or at least have yet to answer and that is God IS life and thus life is not created by God. God necessarily cannot create another God and so all beings created by God are necessarily dependent upon God for life. Hence, death is not created by God but is merely the absence of life when created beings separate themselves from God by sin! Sin is merely the mechanism for separation from God as it is choosing against God's revealed will. Hence, sin is not created by God but is merely the absence of righteousness or in this case the choice for unrighteousness. God IS righteousness and therefore righteousness is not created by God and unrighteousness is merely the ABSENCE of righteousness by choice.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

ITL...the entire post above can be put on your pile. :) There is no permission in a decree, pure contradiction.

God determines everything.
    Arminianism' is sin.
    God didn't determine that...He permitted it.

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

So you believe God decreed sin since you allow no permissive decree for sin! I make a distinction between what God delights in versus what God hates but permits for ultimate good. The former is a positive decree while the latter is negative or decree to permit as God could have decreed no sin could enter his creation.

If you and your system want to make God the author of sin then that is entirely your choice to defend. I do not make God the author of Sin although I do make God the author of responsible free will which demands the permission for sin to enter into God's creation.

#29 The Biblicist, Jan 16, 2014
  10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

My response above describes the premise of Skadelon's whole argument and demonstrates the objector's to what Paul is teaching shared the same premises of Arminianism.

Now, if webdog and others want to depart from the OP and talk about the origin of sin on another thread, I will be more than happy to entertain them. However, discussing the decrees of God or the origin of sin is not within the boundaries of this OP.

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

So, the Israelites being temporarily hardened in their rebellion so as to accomplish redemption for the world is now being equated with the Calvinistic campaign against Arminianism?

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Regardless of what type of sin you choose to use, your premise is the same as the objector to Paul in Romans 9:15-20 and especially the objection voiced in Romans 9:19.

13. Skandelon

Do you affirm bare permission, or do you believe as some Calvinists that God is permitting that which He ultimately determines?

14. Skandelon

So your answer is not to deny the substance of the objection or even attempt to reconcile the apparent contradiction, but instead to simply appeal to Paul's response under the presumption that it was originally intended to answer the same type of objection that I'm raising today, correct?

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Your question presumes that Paul's response is indequate to the very same premise existing behind your argument.

16. Skandelon

My question was meant to merely be a restatement of your position. It presumed no inadequacies...stated or implied.

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Neither does my response presume anything different than which Paul stated or implied.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe no such thing, I'm not the determinist here. I adhere to Gods permissive will as defined...not as I redefine it.

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Then why attribute a view to me that I do not hold? I also adhere to God's permissive will in regard to evil. I also do not see any conflict between God's permissive will in regard to evil and God's will of purpose to work all things for the ultimate good of his people (Rom. 8:28) and His own glory (Psa. 76:10).

20. Skandelon

I beg to differ. Paul was addressing a specific situation where by he was cutting off 'the elect' (Israel), while grafting in the Gentiles. In order to ensure God's purpose in electing Israel God reserved a remnant of Jews from the hardening process and they carried the gospel to the rest of the world. In short, some from the lump of clay (Israel) were cut off (hardened) and used for a common purpose and others for a noble purpose (apostleship), but still both groups served to fulfilled God's purpose in electing Israel...which was to bring redemption to the world...and both those used for noble purpose and common ones were still able to be grafted back in and saved.

The objection is one that a hardened Jew might bring to Paul for teaching this doctrine. It most certainly would be a clear abuse of scripture and a violation of every known rule regarding hermeneutics to apply Paul's answer to that objection to the one being discussed here.

To do so, you'd have to presume true the Calvinistic interpretation of Romans 9 (which we obviously don't) and then you still would have to establish how an objection of a non-elect individual for being made non-elect somehow parallels the objection of how a false doctrine can both steal God's glory and be unchangeably ordained for His greatest glory at the same time. It is a fallacy of non sequitur, pure and simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.