1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do some versions "wrest Scripture" in I Peter 5:13?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by EdSutton, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, "Church" it is then...

So why the controversy?

This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me.
    Don’t we have the right to food and drink?
    Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas?
    Or is it only I and Barnabas who don’t have the right not to work for a living?

1 Corinthians 9:1-6 TNIV

Rob

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The only controversy is what Ed offered in why he doesn't understand the "omission" of ekklesia while the enitre context and theme of I Peter is the elect/chosen/church.

BTW, what was Peter's wife's name? Then explain why he didn't refer to her by name but did Marcus? I think "she" might get mad!

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Obviously, you did not actually read my posts (Should I actually be surprised, here?), :rolleyes: for I never said anything like that. In fact, the question I asked is almost directly opposed your "rewording". :BangHead:
    Perhaps I should have said "virtually" no textual basis, in which case I apologize for not making myself clearer.

I do not take responsibility for what any others have said, on the thread, for my own question is very straightforward.

Ed

#23 EdSutton, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Um, you offered only two and both negative concepts into the actuality of the Epistle.

Your objective is more than translucent.

I see nothing as far as your suggestion of "bad eisegesis", "tormenting", or"'twisting' scripture" could be considered as valid. In fact I see directly the opposite when the context is taken into consideration.

What I have learned from you is your bias to suggest that there might be something "amiss" but nothing to substanciate your suspicions.

My stand is substanciated by the context and the familiarity of I Peter to know what is more the implication being the "church" verses that rather than the obverse.:godisgood: