1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do These beliefs take NT Wright Out From orthodoxy then?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't think N.T. Wright is unorthodox (although he may be wrong). I'd suggest reading his theology rather than reading on his theology. While many disagree with him, despite their disagreement some (e.g., John Piper) note his commitment to Scripture. What he is saying is not a denial of Paul's words, but a questioning of our interpretation within the context of the epistles (and IMHO he makes some very good observations).

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I concede that I do not know, based on the law of probability in how they exhibit his views, it is easy to level the accusation. It is quite obvious that many here who hate on Wright have not read much of him, only what others say about him.

What I find childish is that you know we are right (Yeshua1 has not read him) but you don't like that so you use this "childish" argument.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have not said that he was not orthodox within his views, as he does hold to Deity of Jesus, death/resurrection, but so see him straying from vital areas such as the scriptures/atonement views, and water baptism!

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I misspoke to call him not within orthodoxy proper, as do see that he upholds the truths of deity of jesus, death/resurrection, BUT also do see him making bad mistakes in areas of Bible, nature of salvation, and in water baptism!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can there be any other legitimate view on the scriptures than those held by conservation Christians though, and still be true to the text?

And how can we let slide by a view that hints of roman sacramentalism?

And how can he argue for paul's views on justification, yet disregard as erroneous those views held by historic Christian since Reformation?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've read of him I don't know that he has made that many mistakes. I think that there is validity to many of his observations. Keeping in mind that he is Anglican, there are some areas where I disagree with him and I am not certain of some of his conclusions regarding Paul. What has he wrote regarding the nature of Salvation that you view as a mistake? (I have not read very much of NT Wright).

#26 JonC, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does "hate on Wright" mean. How is he hated? Just because he disagrees with him does not mean he hates him.

You do not know what I like or do not like. If you cannot tell the difference between hate and honest disagreement to the point that you want to shut down any criticism at all through the intolerance of " you have not read him" well then that says more about you than anyone else.

8. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    To "hate on" is a colloquialism for being overly critical of something. So I can tell the difference. It is just an expression. I don't want to shut down criticism. Not at all. In fact, I would encourage it. But I have yet to see someone be critical of Wright's view (for example the NPP) who has adequately explain his view form the foundation (like the wrong view of a works based righteousness/salvation of 2nd temple Judaism) as well as admit his contributions to theology and history (particularly the Quest). If one has read him, those 2 things would be obvious. Thus, the accusation. If that "says" something about me... fine.

#28 Greektim, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only criticism that I can think of for NT Wright is that I am not sure that he has defined grace adequately in the Jewish religion. He rightly describes Jewish salvation by grace (salvation, to the Jews, was a matter of Covenant rather than works…and Reformation thought has ignored this fact) but I don’t know that he adequately presents a picture of how they understood that grace (e.g., Arminians, Calvinists and Open Theists all hold to salvation by grace…but they understand that concept differently). Reformation and Lutheran theology does seem to deny the idea of grace that is prevalent in OT Judaism, here I agree with Wright 100%. I believe him to be correct in stressing God’s covenant with Abraham. But I don’t know that Wright’s leap towards a similar view of that grace in Judaism had been defended (or presented/expounded) by Wright.

(Just wanted to say something critical so you can mark that off the bucket list. NT Wright’s view, IMHO, is less problematic than the traditional position - but both take for granted to a degree ideologies within 1st century Judaism that have yet been adequately demonstrated). Wright at least attempts to place Paul's words in context of the early church rather than the Reformation. I may be wrong and I would welcome correction hear (perhaps he has provided what I'm missing and I just .... missed it).

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sir, that is incorrect. You, in fact, do want to shut down debate which is made clear by your use of the exaggerated statement "hate on Wright".

The only other option is that you do not have a true and reasonable understanding of the proper use of the word "hate".

11. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

I missed something:

Is 100% adherence to the Reformed expression of Penal Substitution Theory of the atonement in all of it's details a mark of Orthodoxy now??

I didn't receive that memo.

12. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must not run in the right crowds ;)

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he makes water baptism as the way/means that we enter in the Kingdom , and he sees election in a corporate view, not individual basis, and that he also seems to infer that we really have no definite salvation, as we need to have that final assessment in judgement day, when God weighs out our good works!

he also avoids the Bible being inerrant, and wants to impose a different sense of authority from them, and also seems to want to deny/walk around, penal substitution !

14. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you get his corporate election view?

He would not say that salvation is not definite. His point about justification is that its emphasis is future and our works are our vindication. However, if you understand Lordship Salvation, then this is not a problem. God enables disciples to live as a disciple. Therefore, the future vindication is assured in present justification. He says as much.

Your inerrancy thing isn't important. I'm not sure to which authority you are referring.

As for the atonement, can you watch this video and tell me where Wright is off on the atonement? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA8CY5iC_ww

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you will provide reference to his material I’d appreciate it. I’m not saying that you are wrong EXCEPT perhaps that you infer that he implies we really have no definite salvation - his writing seems to indicate otherwise (see, for example, Justification: God’s Plan & Paul’s Vision, pg. 250 where Wright states that “all those who are ‘in him’ are ‘reckoned’ to have died and been raised with him, so that from God’s point of view their sins are no longer accounted against them and they stand on resurrection ground” and “The present verdict [justified] gives the assurance that the future verdict will match it”). I do not see Wright denying definite salvation.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He, to me, would be someone trying to create a 21st Century "new theology', that seeks to bring back together Christiandom, as he seems to be more in line with what catholics and others state concerning the nature of the atonement and the church/kingdom than Evangelical Christians are!

17. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

#smh :BangHead::BangHead::tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may be right and I may be missing something, but I simply do not understand where you find this in his work (it seems so far from what I understand of his theology). I do not agree with him on some issues, but I have not heard or read anything of Wright leaning towards that direction. What did he preach or write that leads you to this conclusion?