1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do we all really believe in a 'limited atonement?'

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

These were questions that help me realize the errors of my ways. ;)

BTW, many Cals here claim to have been non-Cals prior to becoming Cals, so this charge COULD be leveled against any argument/question they raise too. Is that what you are suggesting needs to happen on a forum meant to debate these types of differences?

BTW, I noticed no one attempted to answer it...??? Wonder why?

#41 Skandelon, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

He lost fellowship with the church. He was later accepted back in.
    2 Corinthians 2:7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.

Are you saying he was saved (eternally), lost his salvation, and was later saved again?

Rather than asking ME questions in hopes I'll guess what you're talking about, why don't you explain what it is you believe, plainly, because I don't have a clue.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my last post. Comment if you wish,

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He lost the temporal aspects/benefits of his salvation, but retained the eternal aspects of his salvation.

Why is that hard to understand?

And yes, I'm well aware he was brought back into the fold, 1 Cor 5:5 is a snapshot of what his condition was going to be at that time, At that time Paul didn't know that he would repent.

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Saved sheep" = God's redeemed born from above children brought into a covenant relationship with their Saviour.

"Lost sheep" = God's redeemed born from above children without a covenant relationship with their Saviour.

In the NT the word 'lost' is always in conjunction with 'sheep'. Somewhere along the way 'sheep' was dropped. Nowadays, most believe that 'lost' implies goats bound for eternal destruction.

#45 kyredneck, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How can one be a redeemed, born again, child of God and yet have no relationship with Christ? That makes no sense.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, Christ did not atone for all one's sin. There is the one sin that he must right on his own.

Unless you are going to assert that unbelief is not a sin.

8. Skandelon

The concept that Christ's work paid just so much for just so many is not even supported by classical Reformed teaching...

Asked and answer on the first page. See post #6.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then it's the first one. Christ did not atone for all one's sin. There is still the one act that one must do to be be saved.

10. Skandelon

Even Calvinists affirm this. People are NOT born saved bro...not even in the Calvinistic worldview. But nice try. :)

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they don't, bro. Calvinists assert that belief is a birthmark. They had as much to say about their second birth as they did their first one.

12. Skandelon

Calvinists believe election is unconditional, not salvation. We all affirm: "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Whether that happens because someone is effectually caused to believe or not, it still has to happen.

13. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yet another strawman.

"Calvinists" equate election and those who are elect with the fact they will be saved. Each one. Unconditionally.

All the elect will confess this with their mouth.

There is still this pretense in non-cal theology that this applies to some secret mystical group of those not elect, and that 'they too will be saved.'

None who are saved are 'non-elect.'

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I notice you once again offer no scripture as was requested for your accusation against God. God spelled out the terms to Adam.Adam rebelled and receives the promised consequences. God did not "make"adam rebel....he broke the terms of the covenant.
    You twist it once again to "blame God'....calvinists do not blame a holy righteous God for adams sin. You do not seem to like our God. You always blame him...just like the first adam did...the woman you gave me

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Not cool Icon, not cool...and you KNOW it.

#55 quantumfaith, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was an excellent post; concise, truthful, and with the application of scriptual type included.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do we get criticized for seeing God doing what only God can do?

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you say, "Can God make me become a Christian?" I tell you yes, for herein rests the power of the gospel. It does not ask your consent; but it gets it. It does not say, "Will you have it?" but it makes you willing in the day of God's power....The gospel wants not your consent, it gets it. It knocks the enmity out of your heart. You say, I do not want to be saved; Christ says you shall be. He makes our will turn round, and then you cry,"'Lord save, or I perish! (C.H.S)

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Glad You saw it that way, I did not.

20. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Spot on answer, and as you say, no Scripture.

I really can't see why quaff decided to butt in here and offer support. Anyone offering support against what you said is at enmity with the truth you've expressed. That type of trite behavios I don't pleasant at all, nor profitable behavior for those confessing believers.

Tell me, why is this the typical response and attitude of non-cals towards the reformed brethren?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.