1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do we have poets in here?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Jimmy Higgins, Nov 9, 2001.

1. I've been known to be able to make the opposite sex swone to my words. Anyone else?

2. the 'I AM' hath sent me

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimmy Higgins:
    I've been known to be able to make the opposite sex swone to my words. Anyone else?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Roses are red, violets are blue
    this place is a madhouse,
    no really its a ZOO!"

No pictures, no comments...Thank you, thank you very much.

3. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bendecido por Dios:

"Roses are red, violets are blue
    this place is a madhouse,
    no really its a ZOO!"

No pictures, no comments...Thank you, thank you very much.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That poem moved me. {tear in eye}

I don't think I'll ever best that. :D

But seriously, anyone in here write poetry, soft, happy, horror, love, silly?

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, I've had poems published in national and international anthologies, and I published a book of original poems a few years ago, entitled *Songs of Solitude*.

5. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    Yes, I've had poems published in national and international anthologies, and I published a book of original poems a few years ago, entitled *Songs of Solitude*.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much material do you need to publish a book? Do you need a theme? Is it random? Or were you able to publish because of previously published works?

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I LIKE to write poetry! :D Whether or not I'm a poet is questionable.....
    da Gina

7. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gina:
    I LIKE to write poetry! :D Whether or not I'm a poet is questionable.....
    da Gina
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you like to write about?

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It's not really what I like to write about. It's pretty much impossible for me to pick something...something will just hit me and I'll slam it down in five seconds, if a pen and paper isn't there it's gone. So it usually turns out to be all different things. God, emotions, the seasons, an orange, silliness, addictions, blessings, and fits of anger have had their turn on paper. ;)
    da Gina

9. Five seconds? Yipes. Maybe you should carry a pad and pencil around with ya. :D

It sounds like you just toss the words with ease. I can't do that. Usually if I find a theme or word or structure, it takes me usually an hour to get the poem right.

Do you use rhythm or do you just write words?

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Almost always comes out in a rhythm. although sometimes it doesn't....once there was a three page I don't know what it was! Just a freestyle, intense, view on mental anguish caused by spiritual separation, kinda written with an echo from the physical side. Guess ya had to have seen it, rofl! It scared me that that came out of me though, I tossed it after a friend threatened to print it. Most of my stuff I won't share because it's way too personal, the way I write it comes because it's usually something that's going on at the time, so what I write is a direct reflection of WHAT I am, not just any old thoughts that come to me, so going public with that would be way too personal. I can't do it. I threw a few lighter ones in the newspaper where I used to live a while back, and I've put a few of the simpler, less revealing ones on here and other boards. Other than that they get tossed or put in the safety box...when I'm dead people can read them and go "Wow! We knew she was nuts but this was beyond even what we imagined!" ;) I'll go down in the psychology books as an example.......
    What about you? What inspires you? Music seems to trigger a lot for me. Whose work do you like to read? And do you think that Frost had more than one good poem? :D And do you think that that one good poem is highly misunderstood?
    I'll hush now. See what happens when you get me talking? I'll go on and on and on and on......
    da Gina

11. It sounds like your poetry is mostly your way of writing a diary.

As for me, all my "love" poems are inspired by reality. Then my reality poems are heavily inspired by current trends. Those poems usually don't have as good of a meter for me. I really like death as a topic, or perhaps not death but the final moment that transcends life and death. I'm fascinated with the mentality of it. One thousand thoughts in your final thought, its what determines how you go out feeling like.

And then there's personafication. I really want to write a poem about paranoia. I have been wanting to for a long long while, it just hasn't happened yet. I've done darkness. I really enjoy relaying an inanimate concept into words.

I really enjoy love poetry. Only problem is that its getting tougher and tougher to come up with new parallels to use in it so they all won't seem repeatitive repeatitive.

I haven't written a poem in a while. Been busy with research and other side projects, but when I get a line, I know immediately if it will work. Then I mold the poem around that line or meter.

12. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my youth, I wrote many poems. They were mostly on Biblical theme or loved ones: like my parents who went to be with the Lord, and siblings (including our dreams and aspirations). I haven't written any lately though, no inspiration or time allocated itself the past 45-50 years. Too busy doing other things. [​IMG]

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm not really a peot. I think up a lot, but never write it down. Usually while going down the road. But I entered a contest on line, and they are printing my poem in a book. Now I'm in line for $1,000. and $10,000. prized. So pray for me.
    I'm glad they sent me a copy, I don't think I had one, I wrote it in about 10 minutes just for the contest. It's called Whispers of Love.

14. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katie:
    I'm not really a peot. I think up a lot, but never write it down. Usually while going down the road. But I entered a contest on line, and they are printing my poem in a book. Now I'm in line for $1,000. and $10,000. prized. So pray for me.
    I'm glad they sent me a copy, I don't think I had one, I wrote it in about 10 minutes just for the contest. It's called Whispers of Love.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Katie, most online poetry sites are scams.

More info for online Poetry scams

I entered a poem and got a letter saying it was qualified for the grand prize, and they would publish it, etc... I even got an inventation to the award ceremony for the Poet of the Year award. That just smelled funny to me. According to the site above, it is worse than a scam.

I let them publish it so I could say I was a publish poet, however, I was very weary of the praise I got. I know I'm an excellent poet, however, my style isn't the rewarded style of the present right now.

Whatever you do, DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM.

Don't get discouraged. Poetry is a fun hobby, but people that win the real contests are literary geniuses. Enjoy it and if you want to enter your poem in a contest, feel free to do so, however, the legitimate ones do charge an entry fee so that they can have a purse for the rewards.

Enjoy writing!