1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do we have the real Bible today?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by MISSIONARY, Jan 10, 2006.

1. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

Some fundamentalists say we only have a copy and that the original manuscripts were the only inspired documents.

Yet others like me, believe that the original documents were inspired, yet God preserved His Word for us today.

Next debate is which Bible is preserved. They can't all be. They don't all say the same thing.
    Some leave verses out, or change them.

What about the curse God gives to any that tamper with His Word.

What do you think? [​IMG]

MISSIONARY

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Of course we do. That's a silly question. In addition, the real bible is available in several translations and dialects, in numerous languages.

3. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

Pardon my silliness, Is that a word?

But my Brother, If it is God's Word and He says that you cannot add to or take away from the Word. How do you explain the differences in the different translations.

If it is God's Word you cannot change it! So that leaves me to believe that SOME OF THESE BOOKS ARE NOT BIBLES.

BROTHER SILLY LOL

4. natters

natters New Member

God's word existed in 1605. Yet they made the KJV anyway, which is also God's word despite it's differences.

5. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

But if God's Word is THE TRUTH and I believe it is, how can we accept one saying one thing and the other saying something else. One has to be true and the other not. Can't have it both ways.

MISSIONARY

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I fear you're guilty of lacking discernment. Translating from one language to another is not an issue of adding to or taking away from the Word.

If we are forbidden from changing God's word in the manner to which you refer, then no translation is a Bible. That goes for the KJV, Tyndale, Geneva, Nederlandse Staatenbijbel, Das Gutenburg Bibel, Riena-Valera en Espanol, and all others.
    If the translation is faithful to the source text, then there is no "one saying one thing and the other saying something else". There may be differences in phraseology, but not in the message, context, or delivery. There is no one English translation that is scripturally authoritative over any other english translation. To imply that such a translation exists would be to add to scripture.

edited at members request

[ January 10, 2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's Word doesn't change because it is HIS Word. Translations of His Word change because men make mistakes.

Take the KJV of the Bible for instance, it underwent hundreds of changes through several revisions from 1611 to 1769 while the Church of England tried to cleanse it from human error.

HankD

8. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

God's Word was given to us originally in the Biblical languages. Of course everyone knows that. What we have are translations of that Word. No fundamentalist doubts the preservation of God's Word, yet we disagree on which translation is most accurate. In my opinion, and I have a very high view of Scripture, our English translations are but "crumbs under the master's table." As long as the translation is a faithful translation (formal/word-for-word) then we have a faithful translation. But it is still only a translation.

I know some may not agree with this yet I give my humble opinion.

Phil310

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed. Missionary, please read the rules for the Versions and Translations Forum. If this thread is in complienc with their rules, you are free to restart it there. However, this is not a proper topic for this forum.
    Keith Robertsson, Squire of Lower Ducis Abbey
    Administrator and FBF moderator.