1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do We Love the Brethren?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Hank,

Your one of guys in here Ive always have had total respect for. And I agree with your over all assessment. I wrote the thread to remind us all that there is something called civility & decorum, especially among the brethren. There is also something known as forgiveness, but thats another issue for another time.

Thanks for your contribution. Bless you!

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why can't we just follow Paul's instruction?

Ephesians 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, who is the head, even Christ:

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Not to get testy, but I get really tired of people telling seminary-trained pastors that their seminary degree is something to be set aside. If you've never attended seminary then you would really have no idea exactly what was taught or how. I've found over the years that ignorance is a large booster of confidence, but often mis-placed.

What makes you believe that i do not see Christ as the "Successful Savior" or :Glorified Redeemer," etc.? Have I given you any indication that such is true in my life?

As to "universality of salvation" all I can say is, not according to Peter, John, James, Paul, and the writer of Hebrews. There is no "universal salvation" in the way you describe. Each person must become a Christian in the biblical fashion, aka, the Apostle Paul's conversion on the Damascus Road. There are no "automatic" exceptions to that rule in Scripture.

I actually do know where you are "coming from." I disagree...

True that. You've minced no words with your position. I also have no problems with Christ redeeming people of all types. That is clearly a biblical position.

Will you be the one to break the news to the Apostles Paul and Peter? Or perhaps to Christ Himself, who COMMANDED us to go into all the world with the good news of the gospel?

In this, you are apart from the 2000=year-old orthodox stance of Christianity as seen in both OT and NT.

You suppose that we are relying on very human efforts to "seek and save the lost." But you fail to consider that God TOLD us to employ those very human efforts, which would be empowered by the Holy Spirit (and are/were by ample evidence in Scripture and 2000 years of testimony).

Just "teach"? You claim an intimate familiarity with the Scriptures. Is JUST teaching what Jesus calls us to? Did Paul, "just teach"? Or, did he go on church planting mission to seek and save the lost, preaching, teaching, convincing, convicting, and then, yes, reaping the harvest from among the elect of God?

I can actually somewhat support this line of reasoning. Mission boards and the like are merely pragmatic means that we have employed over the centuries to further the work of the gospel. They are not specifically biblical, but they are also specifically not non-biblical either. We see the rudiments of a mission board in the Church at Antioch, which sent out Paul and Barnabas, and in the Jerusalem Counsel, who heard the reports of salvations among the Gentiles and who sent word back to those new churches and believers as to how they ought practice Christian doctrine (returning as it were, to the Noahic Covenant requirements instead of to the more detailed Jewish Law).

As far as "depending entirely on the Holy Spirit" for his education and the Creator who creates out of nothing for his support..." I doubt it. That, through history, has proven to be ineffective for more than one reason. First, it tends to breed heresy, for people APART from gospel community often fall far astray from God and do not end up doing great works of mission. Even this point is biblical. The church supported Paul, Peter, and the other apostles. While Paul did not take money from some of his young church starts that does not mean that he took no money at all. It is obvious that he did.

In the end, I find your beliefs rather "cut off" from main stream Christianity. You do not favor unity, community, mission, or other valuable and biblical means that God has given us to reach out to the whole world with the gospel. If it works for you, so be it, but to push your own very closed system on the whole world of Christendom is in error.

4. mets65

mets65 New Member

All these arguments miss the point. Why do we get held up on a difference or two? Why can't we praise God for what he has done? I find it disheartining that one of the sections posted in the least is the prayer request/praise section, that's the section we should be in the most!

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I agree. There is little true "brotherhood" on this board.

We have a much larger expression on the off-road board that I am a part of.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of the mouthes of a Mess fan too! We should be ashamed.

Sorry Mets65.....had to do it....Revenge for Willie Mays...LOL (long story)

Your on the money though. Most people prefer to spend their talk time Praising & Glorifying their Savior together rather than having a political debate with Uncle Fred / the lunk head at the Thanksgiving table. Turns into a food fight (sometimes they can be fun though) ROFL. Pass the mashed potatoes.:tongue3:

7. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

My thoughts exactly!! I love the Lord and the grace he bestowed....

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now....go tell that to the Pharisees & Theologians on the Board......."The People have spoken" :thumbsup:

9. mets65

mets65 New Member

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill torward men.

10. calvin

calvin New Member

:thumbsup::applause:

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks EWF and you as well.

It's better to throw water on a fire than gasoline (besides being safer).

Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

HankD​

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have a good weekend brother!:thumbsup:

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EWF, I relate with much in your post, really. However, I've never been poor or destitute, always had what I needed, never lacked for anything. It's the hypocrisy that pinoy experienced, and me also, that I'm referring to. It had everything to do with me coming to the Old Baptists. And that same ol' exact hypocrisy is alive and well on this board.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive got Questions KY, but I will take them private.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Request permission to make your questions public so that I may answer publicly. (have to go now, be back later)

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but thanks for having the decency to ask.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies to you brother. I should've had the decency to ask that in private, but the fact is that I considered them very good questions. I can see now where you wouldn't want them brought to this thread. I simply wasn't thinking.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sweat Brother. And as stated before, I have always appreciated the decency in the way you've always comported yourself with me.

Thanks

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You too Bro. EWF.

I intend to - Deo Volente - of course.

HankD