1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you agree with Spurgeon?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Hadden Spurgeon was mistaken

One way to get around the mistaken views of Calvinism is to claim the Calvinism view and the Biblical view are both true. No, one is mistaken.

1) Is the non-Calvinism view that God cannot override any and all decisions of man? Nope, so Spurgeon uses a strawman argument.

2) Is the Calvinism view that God ordains (predestines) whatsoever comes to pass? Yes, yet Spurgeon says that view is bogus.

3) Anyone can see God predestines some events and circumstances, yet allows other events and circumstances to occur as a result of the autonomous decisions of people.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither Calvin nor Spurgeon would qualify to be Calvinists today.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the "buy the pig in the poke" argument for Calvinism, never mind it is nonsense, just trust me that when we get to heaven, it will make sense.

1) No where do we find [in scripture] that everything is fore-ordained [predestined]. We do not find that God predestines our each and every sin, making Him the author of sin.

2) No where do we find [in scripture] that humans are responsible for all their actions, for example sometimes a person will be responsible for hardening his or her own heart by the practice of sin, but at other times we see that God hardens a person's heart for His purpose.

3) Thus, when scripture is viewed through the prism of Calvinism, it is contradictory, but when looked at biblically it all fits together perfectly.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You are just as bad as some Calvinists. You are just as arrogant and love conflict. In fact I believe you feed off of it.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typical "finding fault with others" post, devoid on any on topic content. This is how Calvinism is defended, not with truth, honest discussion and brotherly love.

The OP asked the question, was Spurgeon wrong, and I responded with yes, and here is why. But rather than discuss the merits of my observation, we get a slanderous personal attack.

1) Is the non-Calvinism view that God cannot override any and all decisions of man? Nope, so Spurgeon uses a strawman argument.

2) Is the Calvinism view that God ordains (predestines) whatsoever comes to pass? Yes, yet Spurgeon says that view is bogus.

3) Anyone can see God predestines some events and circumstances, yet allows other events and circumstances to occur as a result of the autonomous decisions of people.

4) No where do we find [in scripture] that everything is fore-ordained [predestined]. We do not find that God predestines our each and every sin, making Him the author of sin.

5) No where do we find [in scripture] that humans are responsible for all their actions, for example sometimes a person will be responsible for hardening his or her own heart by the practice of sin, but at other times we see that God hardens a person's heart for His purpose.

6) Thus, when scripture is viewed through the prism of Calvinism, it is contradictory, but when looked at biblically it all fits together perfectly. ​

#25 Van, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev, how so?

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a Calvinist. Your response is what is known as a red herring fallacy.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon believed the Sovereignty of God and the free-will of man to be paradoxical.

Calvin did not teach limited atonement.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he did not. Spurgeon did not believe in free will. Have you ever read his sermon Free-will a Slave? He did not believe there was any such thing as true free will. He said that human responsiblity and God's sovereignty are hard to reconcile in our finiteness. But those two truths have no need to reconcile --they never had a falling out! ;-)

Scholars such as Paul Helm, Jonathan Rainbow, Roger Nicole and J.I. Packer say Calvin most certainly held to definite atonement. They have studied his works thoroughly.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The system of truth is not one straight line but two. No man will ever get a right view of the gospel until he knows how to look at the two lines at once…Now, if I were to declare that man was so free to act, that there is no precedence of God over his actions, I should be driven very near to atheism; and if, on the other hand, I declare that God so overrules all things, as that man is not free to be responsible, I am driven at once to Antinomianism or fatalism. That God predestinates, and that man is responsible, are two things that few can see. ~ Charles Hadden Spurgeon

Really? You want to have a duel of the scholars? Your appeal to authority is considered a logical fallacy.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RM, you apparently want to make it a duel between Spurgeon and Spurgeon. What I had paraphrased from Spurgeon is the truth. He opposed the doctrine of Arminian free will , as Calvinists today do as well. He upheld God's sovereignty. All people are accountable for their sins --they are held responsible. That is not the same thing as free will.

C.H.S. believed that the two truths are hard for the human mind to fathom. But both are true. Just because we can't completely wrap out puny minds around the immensity of the subject doesn't negate the fact that both are taught in God's Holy Word.

My appeal to authority is a logical fallacy? Come on. Get real. Most BB members --including Calvinists claim to have read littkle to nothing of Calvin's works. I have. I see no need of running away from reading his writings because a stigma has developed over his name associated with the doctrine(s) of grace.

Those who have diligently studied his works know what they are talking about. "Appeal to authority" Ha,Ha. Of course! Should I appeal to detractors who would rather disparage at a distance and haven't the honesty to read his material as a discipline? That would be nonsensical.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Appeal_to_authority.html

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not an appeal to authority. And I will forego the taunting smilies.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I did not say you were a Calvinist, I said your constant fault finding with behavior is like the way Calvinism is defended. So again, your fictional charge against me is what is known as a red herring fallacy.

Spurgeon was wrong, and was peddling his bogus view using strawman arguments, logical fallacies, and misdirection.

4) No where do we find [in scripture] that everything is fore-ordained [predestined]. We do not find that God predestines our each and every sin, making Him the author of sin.

5) No where do we find [in scripture] that humans are responsible for all their actions, for example sometimes a person will be responsible for hardening his or her own heart by the practice of sin, but at other times we see that God hardens a person's heart for His purpose.

6) Thus, when scripture is viewed through the prism of Calvinism, it is contradictory, but when looked at biblically it all fits together perfectly. ​

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it is.

In ordinary day-to-day life I am sure you have read up on information by experts --because they know what they are talking about. They know whereof they speak. Would you dismiss their knowledge --as an appeal to authority? Your position is nonsensical.

The subject of so-called "limited atonement" was not a pressing issue in the era of John Calvin. With repect to John Gill, the subject of so-called "duty-faith" was not an issue. Although I don't think a legitimate case can be made for him to deny the duty of everyone to repent and believe the gospel.

But getting back to Calvin and specific redemption, or definite atonement --scholars who have devoted many arduous hours to the study of his theology have come to the conclusion that he did not hold to unlimited atonement. Why would you be so dismissive of their findings? Should those who have not done nearly their level of scrutiny be trusted?

Spurgeon and Calvin are at one with each other in many areas of theology --including their mutual belief in specific redemption. C.H.S. regarded Calvin as a hero of sorts. And he also admired John Gill as a great theologian.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honeslty I am a bit surprised by you on this. No its not.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you are driven by philosophy.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that calvinists would not have an issue seeing a difference between Man free will, and God being sovereign, as we would see it more along lines of man still being responsible/accountable with God being still soveregn...

As we do not see the need to defend full/real free will of man, has some here seem to want to do!

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea well you are a closet Arminian anyway. :smilewinkgrin:

Some do but they are few, outside of this board I know of no one who would hold to that.