1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe Ezekiel 37 was fulfilled in 1948?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thermodynamics, Feb 1, 2009.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since a myth is not necessarily fiction...absolutely :thumbs:

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Deuteronomy 30: 1-8
    1 And it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt call them to mind among all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath driven thee,
    2 And shalt return unto the LORD thy God,
    and shalt obey his voice according to all that I command thee this day, thou and thy children, with all thine heart, and with all thy soul;
    3 That then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee.
    4 If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will the LORD thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee:
    5 And the LORD thy God will bring thee into the land which thy fathers possessed, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers.
    6 And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
    7 And the LORD thy God will put all these curses upon thine enemies, and on them that hate thee, which persecuted thee.
    8 And thou shalt return and obey the voice of the LORD, and do all his commandments which I command thee this day.

God had nothing to do directly with the Jews returning to Palestine. This occurred primarily as the result of a guilty conscience by the western powers over the Holocaust.

Before God will return Israel to Palestine they must "return unto the LORD thy God" as noted above. That means they must embrace Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Actually only about 3% of the Jews in Palestine are even believers in God as revealed in the Old Testament.

3. Thermodynamics

Hi OldRegular,

I would agree that the process is not complete, that is to say that I believe many more Jewish people will turn back to the God who they have turned their backs on. However, I do believe that what we are seeing in this generation is the start of that process. I do not believe that God is in any way done with the Jewish people and I believe that God in His grace and mercy will never discard His Chosen People.

One does have to admit that what happened in 1948 (and the almost 1900 years that lead up to 1948) is unique in the history of the world. There is no other example of a nation being wiped out and scattered to the four corners of the world and still holding on to their cultural identity for such a long period of time, nor is there an example of a nation being destroyed in ancient times and coming back into existence in medieval or modern times. Things like that just don't happen!

I just can't understand how a person could read Ezekiel and look at the events we see happening today and not see God's hand in it.

4. OldRegular

God will never discard His Chosen people, those elected, before the foundation of the world, to salvation in Jesus Christ. The Jews or Israel are no longer Gods chosen people. They were chosen as a nation for the purpose of bringing Jesus Christ into the world. Once that took place they had fulfilled their mission. Only the elect among Israel [the believing remnant or Spiritual Israel] were chosen to salvation. With the coming of Jesus Christ the elect Jews formed the nucleus of the New Testament Church. The non elect among Israel just like the non elect among Gentiles are left in their fallen state.

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Because the events of Ezekiel resemble nothing of modern day Israel:

Eze 37:12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.
    Eze 37:13 And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves,
    Eze 37:14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.

Resembles nothing of modern Israel.

6. Thermodynamics

I say give God time to finish the work. If I am wrong I'll come find you in Heaven and admit that I was wrong. I don't think I am wrong, but if I am it will not be the first time so I can deal with it.:laugh:

7. Todd W. White

Todd W. White Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with MB.

I also believe that the Battle of Gog & Magog will occur at the end of the Church Age, that the Rapture will immediately follow, and, in the aftermath of the war and the disappearance of so many people worldwide, the AntiChrist will have a perfect platform to take over.

Oh - and I believe in the "mythical" 1000-year reign of Christ on the Throne of Israel. I like how Dr. R. G. Lee put it - "..and Jesus is going reign for 1000 years...that's a Bible teaching, and I believe it - I don't care who denies it!"

8. OldRegular

I will go you one better. Surprise, Jesus Christ is reigning now. He will not reign for just 1000 years but will continue to reign[~2000 years and counting] until He returns in Power and Great Glory at which time the General Resurrection and Judgment will occur. He will then continue to reign as one of the Triune Godhead in the New Heavens and Earth throughout eternity.

9. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thermie:

I believe the creation of Israel in a day was quite obviously a fulfillment of PART of Ezekiel 37. In the latter part of that chapter, it is clear God is speaking of national Israel. He says so Himself, as recorded by Ezekiel. One can deny that "Israel" of today is not "Old Covenant Israel," but this misreads (or denies) Paul's clear, plain teaching in Romans 9-11.

Israel is reconstructed/reconstituted, much as the bodies were in Ezekiel's Valley of Dry Bones vision, but they have not, as yet, received the "breath" of God that will cause them to live again (Ezekiel 37:8). But they WILL. Not only Ezekiel affirms this, Paul does also in Romans 11:26.

JDale

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe there is anything mythical about the thousand year reign. Scriptures says there will be and I believe it. Is the Bible mythical?
    MB

11. OldRegular

The Bible is not mythical but many people are as confused about the millennium as they are about the 144,000 virgins!

12. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

100% agreement.

Mr 13:28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch (Israel restored as a nation) is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, (valley of bones come together) ye know that summer is near:

29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.

30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Jesus spent "two days" with the "Samaritan woman/people" (Prefigure/foreshadow of the Gentile Bride of Christ=Church) before returning to the Jews.

Ho 6:2 After two days (thousand year day) will he revive us: (Israel) in the third day (7th/MK)he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

From the first Adam until Abraham, Father of the nation of Israel, was 1948 years,

From the second Adam, Jesus, until Israel was restored was also 1948 years.

With "hindsight". it's easy to see that scripture prophesied when Israel would be restored, at least within a generation.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You need to read the definition of myth...the Bible is indeed mythical.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think the term "myth" is usually intepreted to mean something that does not have complete objective truth. When people use or hear the word "myth," they are not thinking it refers to something historically true.

15. OldRegular

MYTH: A traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some superhuman beings or some alleged person or event with or without a determinable basis of fact.

I always wondered what was wrong with your doctrine now I know!

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always wondered what was wrong with your reading comprehension, now I know.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...that's due to ignorance, as we see with OR's post