1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

do you believe or experience "ghosts"?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Aki, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    i certainly have not experienced any! but i have a friend who shares me her ghost experiences, and given our friendship and her personality, i can believe what she says. one such ghost is a headless white lady. she is the only person i personally know of seeing/experiencing "ghosts".

there are free seminars near my work that offer opening of the third eye, but i'd rather not.

while i don't believe that souls of the dead remain or visit this world, i do believe in "spiritual beings" showing themselves in our days.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

No.

But there is nothing like telling a good ghost story at the campsite.

3. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Aki:

"there are free seminars near my work that offer opening of the third eye, but i'd rather not."

I don't know what this is exactly, but it sounds like something that I know I would not want any part of.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ghosts are real - real demons not real dead people.

And that is a "real" problem.

In Christ,

Bob

5. Brett

Brett New Member

No.

All ghost stories can be explained by some plausible explanation - whether creeky buildings, tricks of the light/camera, runaway imaginations, etc.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ghosts roaming the earth? The BIBLE says...

Luke 16:19-31
    19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

7. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I agree with Bob Ryan. The things she is seeing are demons, not ghosts of dead people.

You are in an area of the world that, although there are many believers, there are also many who are still into witchcraft. As far as the "third eye", I "think" it has something to do with transcendental meditation.

STAY AWAY FROM IT!! :eek:

working for Jesus,

Tam

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I agree with Bob and Tam. [​IMG]

I know that I have had a few weird things happen too. One time after reading a book about the lake waco murders, (and not too long after the guy who was tried and convicted for the LWM was put to death for his crimes) As soon as I finished the last page of the book I had a thought about ghost. The next thing I hear was the tape in my VCR "going in" (it was ejected and sticking out and the remote was by the TV also so there was no way to exsplain how it done that) and oddly enough it began to play "Casper the Friendy Ghost"! :eek: This was the first time and last time this happened. This is also when I learned not to entertain thoughts like that ever agian. :eek: [​IMG] ;)

Music4Him

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Beieve in ghosts per se? No.

But, I believe that there are instances that are unexplainable, that people will perceive as a "ghost". In most cases, it's an explainable phenomenon. In cases where it is not explainable, it is likely benign.

Most ghost sightings are likely cases of mistaken identity or perception. At least, I hope they are [​IMG] But Saggywoman is right. A campfire is not complete without a good ghost story.

10. Lori

Lori New Member

I think they are perhaps demons playing and being mischevous(sp?). The only thing I don't understand is why a demon would play grandma and make a person feel comforted by it. That is puzzling(again sp??).

I once smelled a perfume/scent that was only something that came from my grandma while I was at work, but after a day or two it went away.

What I do want to know is has anyone else seen little orange glowing lights when they were children and what would that be all about? They'd wake me up in the middle of the night and just kinda bounce along right outside in my peripheral vision and I'd turn my head to follow until they disappeared. I suppose it could have had something to do with my weak eye muscles.

Okay. Y'all can get up off the floor now and stop laughing at azw...no really....my straightjacket has been off for at least 30 minutes.. :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D

azwyld
    <*}}}><

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We need to be careful, however, to not attribute something to Satan that isn't of Satan. "unexplained" is not automatically of Satan. If we attribute it to him, he'll be happy to take the credit and the power. By the time we realize that "grandpa" was just a magnetic disturbance, a shadow, or a reflection off a window, it's too late to take back from Satan what we already gave him.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

....an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!

13. Lori

Lori New Member

Huh? DianeT I am confused by your post. Was that for me, if not it's cool I just got confused by what you wrote lol.

JohnV what you say really has merit in that I think Satan is the ultimate opportunist and I agree that he would gladly use unexplained phenom's to his advantage. I suppose I made an assumption that what I was smelling was not from such a good source instead of thinking first that maybe someone just passed by in the hall with her brand of perfume. I guess maybe I jumped because it really smelled more like having her stand over me the whiff was that strong, but again I digress...it could have been any number of smell combos that came together to create that which I smelled.

Thanks for keeping me in check-...mate! lol

azwyld
    <*}}}><

14. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well another thing is.... the devil likes to attack the mind and keep us in fear don't he?

I don't know if any here has heard of Jesse Duplantis? But he tells a story of when he waas still young in the Lord and was staying the night at a ministers house while he was on the road preaching. He says how he awoke in the night to a dark figure looming in the corner of the room. So he said he would rebuke it and after a while it would get still but would not leave. He said he would not leave the bed and confront the figure either. (too scared i guess LOL) But any how he was up all night yelling at this thing and when it began to get daylight he realized he had been rebuking a coat on a coat rack that was sitting by the central heat and air register. ROTFLOL

Just thought you could use another good ghost story..... [​IMG]
    Music4Him [​IMG]

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I believe the explanation for seeing or hearing ghosts are one of these 3 (this would apply to UFO sightings as well):
    1. A natural disturbance
    2. Imagination, delusion or hoax
    3. Demonic

It is more likely one of the first two most of the time.

As for the third eye -- good grief! That comes from Hinduism and made its way into the New Age and the occult. It is supposedly an area that can be developed and allows psychic powers. Have nothing to do with anyone who is teaching about that!!

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In 1 Sam 28 we have a first class ghost story. Saul seeking out the dead. Here we find demons impersonating the righteous dead. In 1 Chron 10 we find that it was not Samuel at all that is speaking to Saul.

In Christ,

Bob

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I do think it was Samuel because he gave a prediction that Saul and his sons would die in battle the next day and that the Philistines would win. Also, Samuel rebuked Saul for disobeying God in the matter of the Amelikites (sp?). A demon could not have done these two things.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I also meant to say that I believe God caused Samuel to appear, not the medium. But God used Samuel to rebuke Saul, and Saul was condemned for seeking out the medium.