1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe that God still heal's? James Chapter 5 13-18

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Mar 18, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

We live in a culture in which we turn on the TV and we see different preachers or evangelist praying for many who are sick and they are healed. However, when we really look at things not that many are actually healed and many actually leave those ministries the same way they came in.

This prompts many to go over board on the healings are not for today and they critic anyone who either has experienced a healing and say its not biblical or anyone who has actually prayed for someone and they got healed.

As a body we cannot critizize or judge everyone just because most televangelist are faking it. What do you think, is healing for the Church today? Please note I am not saying that I think its God's will for everyone to be healed but based on his word I would think that some can and will be healed through a prayer of faith as James says. What do you think?????

JAMES CHAPTER 5 VERSES 13-18

Meeting Specific Needs

13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

Yes, some can and will be healed, even in miraculous ways.

The problem is that God does not heal everyone. Why does he heal some and not others? That is the hard question.

Is God still God? He better be.
    Does God still have the power to heal? Of course he does.

Then why didn’t he heal so and so? Why does it seem sometimes that the wicked prosper and the faithful suffer? When we talk in general terms we can give flowery deep explanations about not knowing the mind of God and that God has a view we can never understand.

But when it is specific, when the question is, “Why did God let my baby die?” I have no answer other than to grieve beside them.

3. 2serve

2serve New Member

Though this may be over simplified it is the best way that I know of to understand or explain BIBLICAL healing.

The most common way to get from ElPaso Tx. to San Diego Ca. Is I10. Is I10 the only way to get from E.P. to S.D. ? No! There are other ways.

Likewise there is more than one way to be healed (ie. Doctors, Medicine, Healty diet) However there is only one Faith Healing route, James 5. With that said the reason that I think that we don't see more true Faith Healings lies in a proper understanding of what the Bible is talking about when it says Church and when it says Elder. If you will get a Strongs concordance and look up every occurance of both of those words and read them all I think that you will get great understanding in this area, I know that I did.

I hope that that was a help. If not then just ignore it.

Ok then I'll be waiting on the Stones:tonofbricks:

4. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Can you please share the meaning by the strongs concordance?

Thanks!! :wavey:

5. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Yeah I agree.. I dont think healing is for everyone. However we cant just dismiss healing and say thats its not for us today. I mean there are clear instructions in God's word to pray for the sick and to have faith. God can do anything he wants, when he wants and we cant limit him. My little sister, well she is not little anymore. When she was 12 years old she was diagnosed with terminal cancer and it was in her tiroids and it spread to her chest area. Well, one day I took her to Church and Pastor so kindly prayed with us and for the Glory of God. She was healed, she is now 17 Years old. Beautiful as ever and completly healed. God's ways are higher then our ways and he can do miracles.. but we must all remember that the biggest miracle of all is Salvation.

6. 2serve

2serve New Member

It's a reference book available at your local book store.

isbn#0-7852-1195-0

7. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Curious to know others thoughts on James 5. Do you think the sick person in this passage could be a little 1 week old baby?

James 5
    13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. 14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. 17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

8. 2serve

2serve New Member

I'm not sure that I understand the relevence of the age.?

9. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Look over the verses and see if you think this is talking about an infant. The releavance of the age has to do with the child the words in bold.

James 5
    13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. 14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. 17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

All healing is of God. If I have a headache and take an aspirin for it and in a few minutes it is gone. God was faithful. It was He who created the ingredients of the aspirin and it's use has one property, to remove pain. God gave man the knowledge to figure it out. If I burn myself and go to the flower pot to pluck an aloe sprig and rub its ointment on the burn and the heat is drawn away, the healing is of God.
    I have gout. It has devestated my feet over the years and have had to have surgery to repair damaged bones. My Dr is very skilled in her medical arts and all is healing very nicely. It is of God. Her skills and the mending of the incisions are the works of God's healing. However there is no cure known to man for gout. I have very seriously thought of calling for a healing service based on this passage in James. I've seen it work before when an uncle had a shoulder that was keeping him out of work and he did not have the money for a Dr. He called for a healing service and he regained the strength in his shoulder and was able to go back to work. Charles Spurgeon had gout and he had called for healing yet God saw not to heal him of this painful problem. The gout eventually effected his kidneys and he died at the age of 57 of a kidney disorder.
    Why God does not heal when all that is tried for healing does not have an easy answer. When the mother is taken from her family because of breast cancer after all the prayers of her children for her healing. All the methods of modern medicine are used but nothing stops the hideous progression of it's growth throughout her body. No easy answer other than God indeed has healed her. She now will have a body that is free from all sickness. The healing is complete. Give God the glory.