1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe that healing revivals are real?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If you are born again, you are indwelt by the HS and he is your teacher as you read. You don't have to figure out every sentence. Read a portion over - look at the context -- read it again. Pray and ask for help in understanding.

There are also some good basic study guides to the Bible as well. The Bible is not that difficult - some parts of it are -- but overrall, a believer can read and understand most of it over time.

2. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Almost everyone of his posts are questioning faith, God's Word or his existence, Christian doctrine and beliefs in general. Asking questions like:

1.) What do you do if you simply cannot trust that God is always acting right?

2.) Did Constantine pervert the bible?

3.) How do you know you have faith?

4.) Do you believe in the end times?

and over 700 like them would seriously indicate that this person may not be a Christian. This person has no problem with asking many questions but can't seem to give a strait answer when asked any himself. He's been asked numerous times if he belongs to a church, fellowships with anyone, seriously studies the Bible, etc, and when people try to provide answers, links, or advice this person usually only comes back with more questions.

Is it that he really doesn't trust God to act right, believes his Bible is perverted, doesn't know if he has faith, or believe in the end times? Or does he want us to question that?

xdisciplex, you are either playing us for fools or you are a seriously messed up and confused Christian. Mabye you should take a break from the internet for awhile and do some serious soul searching and self examination to find out where you stand with God, if you believe in him that is. I will pray for you. Lets all pray for xdisciplex, whoever he/she is.

xdisciplex, in the end you either believe it or you don't.

#22 Chris L., Aug 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

So is it God's will that you be sick?

4. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Maybe you should be a little more patient as a Christian and be thankful that xdiscplex is here asking questions about the Faith, giving us an opportunity to help him learn.

5. Link

Link New Member

I have heard that there were many witnesses to the miracles Wigglesworth did. That was quite a while back so a lot of them are probably dead by now. If you really wanted to research it, maybe you should find some witnesses.

That is the Biblical way for establishing facts of what happened, having witnesses that is.

You want to know why the miracles always happen overseas and not here. Well, I doubt you'd go to any African country where everyone has seen a miracle, but that doesn't mean some of them aren't happening. So sure, someone could go to where miracles happened and ask someone on the street who had never heard of it. Contrary to popular belief, if a miracle or healing occurs, not everyone hears about it and believes in it.

I heard that happened, btw, with a revival on Timur In Indonesia (I'm not sure if it was Indonesia or the part that went independant since). This Indonesian preacher wrote a book about all kinds of supernatural things happening as a group of villagers were filled with the Spirit and went around preaching the Gospel, water into wine (or was it tea into wine), walking on water (up to the knees, though) etc. I've heard some people went there and did not find evidence of the miracles. On the other hand, i met a man from there who had done his Bible school thesis on the miracles and interviewed a number of witnesses. I never did get a copy of that thesis before I moved, though he was willing to share it with me.

In the US, if someone gets healed, it may be explained as a wrong diagnosis or going into remission. I would imagine a lot of doctors don't want healings publicized for fear of ridicule, or at least wouldn't announce it, especially if they don't believe in healing.

Evander Hollyfield was diagnosed with a heart condition. You'd think that a heavy weight champion's doctor would be very careful about diagnosing something like that. He goes to a healing crusade, the condition is gone, and suddenly his previous diagnosis is said to have been false. You'd think they'd get the diagnosis right if getting it wrong meant millions.

To answer your question, yes I think unbelief is a big problem. Reading the Bible, I get the impression that there may have been more miracles in places where the Gospel is being preached for the first time. Also, unbelief in a city can prevent miracles from happening as we read about Nazareth in the Gospels.

On the other hand, there are loud preachers who make a lot of claims when there is very little evidence. Some of this is because they are trying to encourage faith. Some of these preachers are from a Word of Faith type background where they don't believe in saying anything negative and believe in saying positive things.

Some of these preachers come from a church subculture where hype is very much appreciated. This turns a lot of people off, and makes them more skeptical of healing.

And God can even heal people in meetings of people who are a bit off, and maybe seem flaky. At some of these healing crusades, people get healed hours before the preacher shows up as believers in Christ pray for them.

People say Benny Hinn is supposed to be a healing evangelist. But I've only seen one scene where he was supposed to have laid hands on someone someone who got healed, a guy with a cast in Iceland. The rest of the time, people pray and sing. Benny Hinn doesn't ask questions like, "Could you walk without the wheelchair before you got up on stage?" He asks "What did you feel go through you?" So if an air conditioning or heat vent comes on, some sick person might go up to the front because he felt a physical sensation. Some of the preachers who do these crusades don't screen the testimonies they give.

I knew one guy who had the incurable type of diabetes. He went to a Benny Hinn crusade and Benny Hinn got a word about someone in his section being healed (maybe from diabetes, memory fails) as his church friends prayed for him. The guy being prayed for fell down. He stopped taking his insulin, over the objections of these church friends of his. He was fine. He didn't have diabetes.

But then he pigged out so much he ended up getting the other type of diabetes, the borderline kind, not the incurable kind. (I mean types A and B.) I've seen this guy eat before, and I could see how that could have happened.

I don't agree with a lot of things Benny Hinn has said, but I don't think that necessarily keeps people from being healed in his meetings, especially since Christians are praying for one another for hours beforehand.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Link, I hope you don't believe all Benny Hinn says, because he has preached heresy, and is a false prophet according to Deut. 18.

There has been NO medical verification for any healing claimed by Benny Hinn. None. Zero. Zilch.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    X let me commend you for your search for truth and looking to God to obtain that truth. While it may be difficult you are on the right track.

Pr 8:17
    I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.

Pr 2:1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; 2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; 3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; 4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; 5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. 6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. 7 He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly. 8 He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints. 9 Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.

What so many people miss is that seeking after God is not promised to be easy. Being tired is a result of a diligent search. And that is a good thing. Being frustrated is a result of a lack of patience, and that is not a good thing.

Proverbs 2 tells us that we should be willing to seek after wisdom, truth, and God as if we are searching for treasure. Treasure hunting was never easy and requires so much digging and work. When you think of how tired you are after studying then apply that to your Pastor and apppreciate his work whe he goes to the pulpit.

God has not promised instant answers. But he does promise that they will come when we seek him with all of our hearts.

It has been asked long before you "Where do I have to go to find God?"

The answer is simple but hard.

You must go to the place where you have nothing left in you but to rely completely and totally on him. You must be broken, you must be defeated, you must have nothing left in yourself to move another inch.

In the alcoholics anonymous program a person who is willing to stop drinking is refered to as having "hit their bottom". It is called this because they have gone to the lowest point in ther life and realize they are powerless to continue on in their own power.

God is waiting for that moment from you X. And the very thing that will let you know that you have found God is that you will fear him. You will understand that you are standing on the edge of death and a slight wind will put you over the brink. You will know that God is God and you are a miserable sinner. You will be so very mindful of your miserable state and bow at the feet of God as did mary in the Pharisees home.

At that point is the begining of the knowledge of God.

Pr 1:7
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Pr 2:5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God

Pr 9:10
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding