1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you Calvinisticate or Arminianize?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BobinKy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

A word about my posts from the Oxford English Dictionary that appeared on page eight of the thread Just what are you?

First, the historical usage (quote) in the OED entries demonstrate the “great debate” has been with us for many centuries.

Second, the quotes also demonstrate both Calvinism and Arminianism emerged shortly after the time of both Calvin and Arminius--not centuries later as is often put forth.

Furthermore, there is much harmony (if not wisdom) in the centralist Baptist distinctive of incorporating concepts from both Calvinism and Arminianism.

Finally, my favorite terms in the OED are the following.

Calvinisticate

Arminianize

A bit of fun with theology-speak.

And now for Church. Will I be Calvinisticated or Arminianized by the pastor? Probably both!

...Bob

#1 BobinKy, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surprise Surprise. I kind of like the Calvinists' original moniker in the internecine Dutch religious squabbles that precipitated Dort: the Gomarists.

Dictionary of Religion, p. 476:

Gomarists or Anti-Remonstrants. —The opponents of the Arminians. They take their name from their leader, Francis Gomar, who was born at Bruges in 1563. He commenced his studies at Strasburg and Heidelberg, and in 1582 came to England, and went first to Oxford and then to Cambridge, where he took his B. D. in 1581. In 1594 he was elected Professor of Divinity at Leyden, and he is chiefly known for his violent opposition to the doctrines of his colleague Arminius. He was present at the Synod of Doit, in 1618, and was the main instrument in getting the Arminians expelled from the Reformed Church.

3. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Naw, I'm a 10 point Calvaminian.