1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you ever doubt what lead to your conversion?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Sep 22, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Was there something which led to your conversion? An answered prayer or something like this which you think is from God? But what do you do when I suddenly get doubts and think what if this wasn't God, what if this was a coincidence and God had nothing at all to do with it? For example let's say a man is walking in the woods and it's getting dark and cold and he doesn't find his way out of the woods anymore and he might die if he doesn't find a place to spend the night and then he prays to God for help and suddenly he finds a cabin. Then he'll first of all be very happy and thank God but later he might think what if this wasn't God? What if I would have found the cabin anyway? :confused:
    I mean how do you know if God answered a prayer or not? What if you think he answered it but he didn't and it was all just a coincidence or luck? How are you supposed to distinguish between this? Maybe the man would have found the cabin also without praying, does this mean that God wasn't involved in answering this prayer?

2. orthodox

orthodox New Member

When you think about leaving, you have to have an answer first for Peter's question in John 6:68. Since you won't have an answer, you must push on.

3. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I didn't really have a specific incident that led to my conversion. It was a combination of things. Neither of my parents were practicing Christians and my Dad was actually pretty hostile to Christianity. Over the course of time, as I was growing up, I was invited to church by various friends at school and went to stuff like VBS and youth camp. In high school, a couple of my best friends who went to the Christian church invited me to camp in the summer and when we got back, the youth pastor invited me to church. At camp the next summer, I gave my heart to Christ. My parents came to the baptism, but never came after that and never spoke about it.

I believe, if someone comes to Christ through a specific incident or event, that it is the will of God that brought you to that place or circumstance, and not coincidence.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Do you ever doubt what lead to your conversion?

No . . . great discipleship and study of the Word of God prevents the enemy from using fear and doubt . . .

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But the problem is how do you know that it was really God and not just a coincidence or something else? You can't prove it and this means that these questions can always come back and harass you... :(
    I mean not everything which we think is from God is also from God. Sometimes I thought something was from God and rejoiced and later on I found out that it wasn't positive but negative and I only thought that it was positive at first and my perception that it was from God was obviously wrong. What if we always think everything is from God and god has nothing at all to do with it?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It doesn't really matter "what" led to your conversion does it? Isn't it a sincere heart that matters? God promises salvation to all who place their faith in the shed blood of Christ. If you did that then the circumstances involved in leading you to God take a back seat. There's no reason to doubt God's promises. If you gave your heart to Christ, you're saved, period. No need to analyze it. I think you would do well to heed El Guero's advice about discipleship. Get into God's word. You will find all you need to know there.
    Blessings,
    Amy

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But it matters to me. If God had nothing to do with my conversion then how do I know that he even wants me? You see, it does matter.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:godisgood:
    God has everything to do with your conversion.
    John 6:44 "no one comes to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him"
    We are drawn to God by the Holy Spirit because God loves us and wants us to come to him. You can be assured that the world doesn't draw you to God and Satan doesn't draw you to God so if you desire God it is only because He has given you that desire. It's still up to you though whether or not you answer His call.
    Blessings
    :godisgood:

9. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I know that the main reason I have to believe Christianity that I share with others is not the reason I accepted the Gospel.

It is based upon information that I did not have before college.

To be honest, I do not remember for sure why, when I turned from atheism, I decided to become a Christian. I originally intended to build a hybrid faith from selected major world religions.

10. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

You get doubts about your conversion? Or was that a Freudian slip?

Since you asked about our individual experiences -- No, I do not doubt my conversion experience -- when I understood that I was a sinner, responsible for my sins, and God loved me enough to send His Son as a gift for my salvation. My acceptance of His gift of grace started my growth in Christian fellowship. I pray the same acceptance will be there for you.