1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you feel there is a unforgivable sin

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Willow 2, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was healing people. The Pharisees, rather than attack HIM personally or reject Him or His message, attacked the "power" or authority, the Spirit, by whom He worked.

Jesus said that if they had spoken against him, rejected him, etc, they could still have been forgiven. Hey, I was like that - for YEARS I rejected Christ and spoke against him, would not believe in him. THEN I was regenerated by His Spirit and repented and believed.

Here, however, Jesus is drawing a distinction. Since they had claimed it was a DEMON (ba'al-zebub was a demon cult in Palestine) that had empowered him and gave him the authority to heal, they would NOT be forgiven that sin.

Ever. Those pharisees are in hades today awaiting the lake of fire since they attributed to a Demon the power and work of God.

God doesn't mess around with "no other gods before ME", does He? :eek:

2. Me2

Me2 New Member

There is a "sin" that is unforgivable.

its the sin of stupidity.

Believing that God doesnt or cant forgive sin.

its not that Jesus Christ has died and has already covered the sin in question. its the belief of the "believer" that Christ forgot one.

the sin the believer is holding on to.

which actually uncovers the "real" sin.

the sin of stupidity.

its like believing that God doesnt exist.

which really, when one thinks about it..
    cant be forgiven

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasn't that fellow that said "Stupid is as stupid does" from Louisiana, too? :rolleyes:

4. Me2

Me2 New Member

when a believer in christ no longer relies on christ to forgive sin...

thats unforgivable. (temporarily)

until we are invited to the "woodshed". (again?)

1Pe 4:17 For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God?

5. crazycat

crazycat Member

The unforgiveable sin is that of rejected Christ precious gift of salvation

6. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Dr. Bob..What you wrote....I have always swayed back and forth on Pharaoh's heart being hardened. I know this is a little off topic...but...since it was brought up...isn't it possible since God hardened Pharaoh's heart for His purpose, isn't it possible Pharaoh could have been forgiven and be in Heaven? This has always been confusing, and there are always good arguments on both sides.

Sherrie

7. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

[ May 20, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Istherenotacause ]

8. Istherenotacause

I know your question was directed to Dr. Bob and I hope I can input this. Pharoah hardened his own heart several times, then as God had allowed Pharoah the same grace He allows every sinner, Pharoah saw he had "respite", that is a relief of the passed judgement. Finally the LORD had enough of Pharoah and turned him over to his own heart, a reprobate, and hardened Pharoah's heart and that w/o remedy.

Did Pharoah have opportunity to be saved? Yes, just as every sinner has the same opportunity, else the LORD would not be just. He is JUST!

Did Pharoah blaspheme the Holy Ghost? Yes, that's why the LORD finally had enough and hardened his heart.

Was Pharoah a man? Yes, and God said He would have all men everywhere to be saved, but man chooses whom he will serve, and by that choosing he either decides to go to hell or to Heaven.

9. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Istherenotacause...oh goodness, anyone was welcome to answer...thank you for answering.

I do agree with that statement, but have also been known to be confused when most say, Judas or Pharaoh could not have possibly been saved. I wonder how they came to that assumption. Because Pharaoh knew who God was, that was not the issue for him. So I really wonder if he would deny believing, Jesus Christ is who He says He is.

Sherrie

10. Istherenotacause

All those who deny that Jesus Christ is Lord will one day bow and confess that He is Lord: Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess, Jesus Christ is LORD!

I think you may have replied to my post I had made before I realized I hadn't finished. Go back a post or two and see if this happened I edited one out completely and posted the other.

Judas had just as much a chance to repent as any man, or else God would not be perfect and just. Just as Pharoah, Judas failed to respond to the grace of God.

In His Holy Service,

Brother Ricky

11. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yes, I do agree with that.

Sherrie

12. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 26
    23   And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me.
    24   The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.
    25   Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.

Hi Sherrie. I lean toward this scripture reference re: Judas ...
    PJ

13. Flippo

Flippo Member

The only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. With that said, what is the ministry of the Holy Spirit to the unsaved? It is to draw them to Jesus Christ and show/convict them of their need. When unsaved reject that calling they are rejecting Christ thence the only unforgivable sin.

Phil

14. Istherenotacause

"Rejecting Christ", now that's a broad subject, not limited to salvation only, but also dying to ones self, crucifying the "old man" of sin with Christ. Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is rejection of anything and everything He is trying to work in anyone's life, saved or not.
    For a lost man this would include rejection of the finished work on Calvary, but on the part of the saved man, it also includes those things that are rejected and to be dealt with at the Judgement Seat of Christ. Good thing we can remain sensitive to He Who is most sensitive and get right with God about things now and don't have to see them burnt as wood,hay, and stubble! You make a crown with gold, silver, and precious stone, all to be cast at the feet of Jesus, He is Worthy!

15. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Flippo I agree, well put. [​IMG]

16. Flippo

Flippo Member

Notice I said to the "unsaved".

17. Istherenotacause

Yeah, I noticed, but what about those sins of disobedience to the Spirit working in our lives to mature us? Those things will become wood, hay, and stubble and will destroyed under the judgement of God at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Is this too sensitive an area to discuss under "Unforgivable sin"? I mean, if we are going to discuss unforgivable sin, this area deserves just as much attention too, doesn't it?

Salvation isn't the stopping point, it's the very beginning of eternal life. There are battles to be won, victories to be had, there is to be joy unspeakable and full of glory! [​IMG]

Oh well, complacency [​IMG] seems to over-ride desire to press towards the prize of the mark of the high calling, except for a few. :rolleyes:

18. Flippo

Flippo Member

Yes I agree that all Christians will stand before the Bema seat of Christ and will be either rewarded or their works will be burnt as wood, hay, and stubble. It is not a judgement to determine if they will be in heaven or not (that is already set if you are taking part in this judgement, if you don't it will be the Great White Throne judgement).

Once a person is saved (believes in his/her heart that Jesus died and rose again to pay for his/her sin and puts their trust in Jesus for salvation), we still must follow the leadings of the Holy Spirit. Does that mean we will never make a mistake? No. 1 John 1:9. Unconfessed sin will not mean we lose our salvation but will put a damper on our relationship with Christ which in turn will have an effect at the Judgement Seat of Christ.

Again, I was not trying to ignore the whole picture, was just focusing on the unsaved part.

Phil

19. Michael Estes

Michael Estes New Member

God will forgive all our sins but one if we ask Him to. There is only one sin that is unforgivable-blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. This can happen in a few different ways. When a "saved" person later rejects Christ and goes on to die in his sin without repenting, when one accepts the mark of the Beast during the Great Tribulation, or, when one hears the Gospel and never converts. Do any one of these and you're done.

20. Willow 2

Willow 2 New Member

Michael I was brought up believeing once saved you are always saved, Can you tell me did you find this in your bible or what?
    Willow 2 [​IMG]