1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you have a degree?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 22, 2009.

?
  1. I have not completed high school or gotten my GED.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have a high school diploma.

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. I have my GED.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have an associate's degree.

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. I have a certificate in a course of study.

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. I have a college degree (four year).

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  7. I have a masters

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  8. I have an earned doctorate

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  9. I have an honarary doctorate

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Other answer.

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Following is my response to this topic on another board, and several comments here seem to agree in different verbage.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JWP I find a lot of truth in your post. I had a good friend in Bible School and he was one of the best down to earth preachers I've ever known. He went to seminary and over the months you could see the seminary doing it work - he became a blithering idiot in the pulpit. He took a pastorate and finally outgrew some of his learning :tongue3:

There are sour grapes on all sides.

However the danger of the educated is looking down their noses at the uneducated but this has an evil twin called the uneducated looking up their noses at the educated.

I've experienced some that have little education feeling superior to those that have more education and the smell is not much different that the educated that feel superior to the lessor.

A balance is for each individual to gain the education that GOD directs them to be it lots or little and accept other folks as God had prepared them.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Somewhere, sometime, in the dim dark past, I read/heard a statement that kinda sums up what you are saying regarding the "uppity" feeling of some from gaining a lot of formal education: --
    Unfortunately, there seem to be many who call themselves "PREACHER" that fit this category; along with many other professions I might add.

A true pity too, because they are in a position to be of help to so many others if they could just get "PRIDE" out of the way!

I would venture to say that your last statement would solve this problem if applied!!!!!!:godisgood:

4. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BSEd in Mathematics and an MAEd in Education. Now that I am no longer teaching, neither of these degrees really relate to my current job.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

What a load of ....

If God calls a person to the Ministry, it behooves that individual to prepare himself through study. An uneducated man has no business in the pulpit. Of course, his education can be through Seminary, internship under another Pastor, or both.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I have heard that Ph.D stands for either Post Hole Digger or Pizza Hut Delivery. :thumbsup:

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've seen overwhelming amounts of this and scant amounts of the opposite.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BS
    BA
    MA
    Certification in Counseling
    License to Preach
    Ordination
    D.Min.
    Ed.D.
    Ph.D. (in progress, but suspended due to health issues)

This makes me very similar to the temperature in Wyoming. 5 degrees above zero.

(BTW, Ph.D. = Piled Higher and Deeper)

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

BA in Religious Studies
    BTh, which I am finishing the last little bit of writing for.
    Some Biology stuff (no degree)
    MA in Religious Studies
    M.Div. in Biblical Studies, currently in progress.

I also have a couple of certificates from various things:

Certificate in Creationist World View from the Institute for Creation Research (CEU)
    Way of The Master Diploma in Biblical Evangelism
    Certificate in Leadership from FEMA

I also have some construction related things: Scaffolding certification, etc.

Seriously, I believe a Minister should be a lifetime student. It is easy for a Pastor to become "stale" when all he does is teach others. DE is great, as is several Pastors conferences (my personal favorite being Together for the Gospel, of course), J terms at many Seminaries etc.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhetorician Response

I guess the main issues are to me;

1. Will your education open doors where you think your calling and gifts are; &

2. What education does God what you to have to open those doors where you fell called?

And as many here at the Bb can testify, our education has been an unfolding thing over many many years. :smilewinkgrin:

"That is all!?

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

It's interesting...

I have tech training...I have two years of college but opted careerwise for a tech school although I have taken courses on systematic Theology and others related to the books of the Bible.

My husband has severl degrees...B.S., Doctorate, and is working on his Th.D now. YET...

We are pretty equal in our scriptural knowledge and scriptural interpretation in our various "specialties" and he loves it. (He is a widower and he told me just last night that he prayed for a wife he didn't have to constantly teach. lol.) We have gleaned insight from each other. My point?

It doesn't matter what you have posted on the wall. It's how diligently you've sought God's answers from His Word on your own.

Secret formula: Learn about God - don't try to become one. Stay pliable.:praying: