1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you have questions about evangelism?The Way of the Master Moment Mail call Q&A

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok then...I'm not even sure you can disciple....at least I wouldn't take you seriously.

It would take someone with tremendous maturity for me... honestly, haven't found that in my area if truth be told....lots of weirdos but nobody with maturity, level headness and gravitas.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EWF -- there's a difference between discipling and disciplining. Discipling involves teaching and growing; disciplining involves correction, sometimes punishment.

The apostles were disciples, taught to be messengers of Christ. This is the context of which Ann was speaking.

It also involves more than one meeting at a library. Jesus sat with His disciples for 3 years....

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Jesus did.....But we don't have Jesus here do we? We have .... ah don't make me name names....:laugh:

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure I can disciple???

I have someone for you to disciple EWF.

[​IMG]

Try and be more encouraging and edifying in your speech instead of putting me down. Thanks..

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just telling you the truth.......you cant handle the truth apparently. And I don't like stupid bunny rabbit junk either. GROW UP! Then maybe id respect you.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus gave us the responsibility of discipling people.

Matthew 28:18 - Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Paul practiced it -
    2 Timothy 2:2 - The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

God saves people, but we are to train those who come to Christ. That takes more than a 1 time taking them to a meal.

7. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch.

it's not always possible to disciple the people we win.

for example, my friend won a guy to the Lord in an airport at 2Am. The man was a 21 year old chinese guy going to Beijing, my friend was going to Zambia.

I've found with many converts, it's really hard to get them to want to go through discipleship.

seems like every time I try to do a bible study Satan has some excuse or activity for them.

Perhaps the people I am winning are not being saved.

but my point is, especially in America with our entertainment fast paced society, it is really hard to disciple people, especially if they aren't motivated.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not trying to be cute here.....but just what does it take? See I'm not a modern, so I'm not particularrly enamored with modern type churches. I would be more at home with Primitive Baptists....they represent me much better than anyone. When I tell these modern churches that I get a dead pan reaction. In fact telling them I'm a DoG believer generally is all that's needed. I used to be disappointed but these days, well I'm greatfull.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your opinion is they are not motivated they are not saved?

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I think you need to do a little growing up yourself. Grow up and stop complaining about a lack of churches in your area. There's plenty of churches in your area, but you are dead set on finding a church that caters to your every whim, rather than a church you can serve in.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The operative word here is "think " whereas id rather know. Visited with enough to know they are apostate.

12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what being modern or being primitive or being anything have to do with helping a new born baby Christian to learn how to grow in the Christian life. There's a reason why the Bible talks about new believers being babes. And that they ought to drink milk before they eat the meat.

That's what discipling someone is about. It's about teaching them how to study the Bible, how to pray, how to develop Christian disciplines, how to talk to someone about Jesus, how to minister in a local church and be ministered to. You have to teach your children how to read, how to hold a hammer or anything like that. Discipling is helping a baby Christian grow into a mature believer.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can already read and study the bible....And I've been praying all my life, so why do I need you when I have the holy spirit? Maybe ivejust seen some really poor examples of ministers, but when I evaluate them I don't see the take away....And I've not been enriched by them. Again maybe they are poor examples and I haven't hit one.....though God knows I've tried.

However all my encounters with PBs have been amazing. Maybe cause they think much the way I do and prise the things I do and pray the way I do. Personally would love them to plant a church or two here in northern nj.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiosity Jordan, what do you consider entertainment?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I only have a second between unpacking groceries and going back to feed hungry horses. :)

Discipling includes teaching, encouraging, praying with, "sharpening", etc. Practically, I disciple a few women and while we don't meet weekly necessarily, we are in contact regularly and I am able to help encourage them in their walk with the Lord. One is a pretty new believer, another is a seasoned believer who is young and has been having marriage trouble. I'm going to be starting to meet with another woman who has been saved for a little while but who has not had anyone to walk alongside her and as such, she didn't realize some of the sin that is still defining her life. She also struggles with depression so I want to make sure she is in the Word and growing in the Lord to help her through some of her depression (and I have also referred her to an excellent counselor who happens to be a believer and a good friend of mine).

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your saying Christ isn't enough then.....you need a professional counceler, the pastors wife as a prayer buddy, group meetings etc. :)

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

So you are saying there is no need to attend church.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I'm looking for you to give me a good reason to attend one!

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a boy my mother said if I didn't go to church Iwas going to hell...it's a mortal sin to not go. Do you agree?

20. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth from your POV period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.