1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you have to be baptized to take the Lord's Supper?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor David, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

As the occasion arose, yes. But issues like this can only be handled case by case.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe both Baptism and the Lord's Supper are ordinances of the local body!

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Exactly!! :applause::applause:

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I have notice that those who practice communion 'closed" tend to see "church" meaning local assembly of believers only, while those like us who practice it open, tend to see a Universal Church in view!

As I can takeit within confines of any church body locaslly that upholds core Christianessentials, regardless baptist or not, as we would still be one in Christ, part of His Church!

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think your first paragraph is about right. It appears that OldRegular and I are in the minority regarding closed communion. And I grant that any congregation may decide for itself whom it will invite to the Lord's table. But given my views, I could not in good conscience participate in another congregation's observance.

Paul, in I Cor 11:2 urged FBC Corinth to "guard" the ordinances. By definition that must mean exercising some discretion regarding whom it invites to participate, and may, indeed, involve excluding some.

For example, in his first letter, he scolded FBC Corinth for allowing a member who was having an affair (with his father's wife) to stick around. He demanded that they exclude him, and, in fact, told them not to even eat with him.

In that day, the fellowship meals were followed by the Lord's Supper, so it's obvious that Paul was saying, by no means allow this man at either your fellowship table or the Lord's Supper table.

How can a congregation "guard" the ordinances if it allows each one to decide for himself, particularly non-member visitors who may not be known to the members.

And what if somebody shows up whom you know had been disfellowshipped from another Baptist church for flagrant sin (or any reason, for that matter)? Would you allow him to participate, knowing that his own church would not?

What about one of your own members whom you had disfellowshipped? He shows up on Lord's Supper Sunday. Do you allow him in the building, much less take the Lord's Supper.

Finally, since i hold that the Universal Church does not exist, and there are only local congregations; that Paul's instructions regarding the LS were written to a local church; that when Jesus initiated the Lord's Supper, the table was limited to the eleven (Judas had left); for all those reasons I hold to closed communion. And the Body of Christ with which I commune is the congregation I serve.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. There is a Universal Church, not in the Roman Catholic sense of a visible body, but made up by all true believers. Water Baptism does not get one into the Universal Church, which is the Bride of Jesus Christ; Salvation does.

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that the term "universal" should not be applied to the Church Of Jesus Christ. There is nothing universal about the body of Christ since we are all considered the same both Jew and Greek. Our focus should also be the same. Denominations are non existent where Christ is concerned.
    MB

8. JesusFan

there is indeed a "catholic" Church, Full Body of Christ fir those saints who died and those still living, NOT the RCC!

Its ALL of those who have been saved by the Grace of God, through Cross of Christ!

9. JesusFan

We are open communion, but WOULD NOT allow anyone known to be involved in continual sinning, not showing any remorse/confession to take it...

We believe that the person needs to meet 2 requirements...

Be genuinely saved, and be confessed to known sins, evidence of being saved life...

Not perfect, but showing remorse/confession.going forward in walk with Christ!

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Ah, so you're really not open communion. There are some whom you would exclude.

I submit there's some inconsistency in a church's policy which invites a stranger to participate in the Lord's Supper, but will blow of that same person's refusal to obey Jesus' command to be baptized.

11. JesusFan

We stronglt encourage them to be batized if saved, its just some need to be taught why should be from Bible, we have a class to take before it happens...
    Also, some will be , but at a later time

Also, its a requirement for church membershio, but not Communion, as we understand the Bible!

12. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Can you demonstrate where in the Bible that Communion was shared with someone not of the local church?

13. JesusFan

Who were instructed to take the communion?

Christians...

So IF you are saved, following Jesus in your walk, than you qualify to partake of it!

14. matt wade

Where do you see the instructions given to Christians? All the instructions I see were given at a local assembly level.

Could you also please attempt to answer my question, instead of simply posing your own question.

Can you demonstrate where in the Bible that Communion was shared with someone not of the local church?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did Paul share in the Lord's Supper with the different churches that he visited?

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Ann, the scriptures are silent regarding your specific question.

This occurred to me. Paul, in I Cor 11, raked the congregation over the coals for its behavior at the fellowship meals and the LS. From this I deduce that Paul had never shared the LS with them, otherwise he would have corrected their behavior personally. I think he had either heard about their problem or somebody wrote him about it.

And, because of my views about closed communion, which I based on my reading of scripture, to be consistent, I must say no.

I will say this. A congregation's views on access to the Lord's table is not a test of fellowship for me. If it were, I would not be a member of the church I serve, because it is close communion, but not closed. So my view is a minority opinion, even in my own church.

17. matt wade

There is no evidence that he did.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 20:7-11
    7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. 8 And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together. 9 And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead. 10 And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him. 11 When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed.

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Nail Sunk to its Head!

I would have to agree with this understanding. Communion is and always should be based upon 1 Cor. 11:28 "Let a man [thoroughly] examine himself, and [only when he has done] so should he eat of the bread and drink of the cup!" the Amplified Bible.

Anyone can come to the table simply by the word that they have confessed their faith. The same is true when it comes to baptism. We baptise believers upon their confession of faith and their personal request, desire and need to follow Him in baptism.

Personally speaking....church membership, the card holding member types, will not stand the test of time or faith.

When we stand before God, you can be sure that He is not going to admit one soul to heaven based upon the membership card they carry with them.

This entire born-again thing is based on one's confession of faith, and it is that very same confession (following self-examination that admits any individual to the table, the water, and to sit in the pew of a church and be called a member. Membership should be based upon nothing more and nothing less.

To go beyond this (confession of faith) is to make members by way of the principles of church catechism!

Never in my years as a pastor serving communion have I held a card check point. Never have I made a person "prove" their status before taking the bread and cup. It is solely up to the individual and God (For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are representing and signifying and proclaiming the fact of the Lord's death until He comes [again]). If they partake of the elements, and they are not right with God, they eat and drink condemnation upon themselves (So then whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in a way that is unworthy [of Him] will be guilty of [profaning and sinning against] the body and blood of the Lord).

This comes back to us being called to be witnesses, NOT the judge and jury system here on earth!

20. matt wade

The breaking of bread talked about here is simply a meal.