1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you know Dr. Charles Stanley?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 30, 2007.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nothing, per se, but it may give an indication of why Abraham 'stopped' at 10 righteous persons, in his bargaining with God, and interceding for Sodom, which he well knew about. He may well have assumed the Lot had a great influence on his own family, at least, in leading them to righteousness. As I said, Scripture gives Lot as a 'righteous man' 'chronologically' before Abraham.

Lot, Lot's wife, two daughters at home, and three or more married daughters with their husbands, equals a total of at least ten (or more) individuals. I'll grant the Abraham's motives and/or thinking is not revealed in Scripture. I do believe the minimun number of Lot's family is.

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I agree with you. Another thing is that I see no indication that Lot was ‘dragged’ out of Sodom. Because an angel takes one by the hand and leads them out is no indication to me of any unwillingness for Lot to be obedient. He may have not understood perfectly the ‘exact’ time frame the destruction was going to start as the angels apparently knew, and might have been simply reluctant to leave behind any family members until all efforts to persuade them was exhausted. No unrighteousness or sin there that I can find in Scripture.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Scripture says that Lot 'delayed' or 'lingered' in getting out of Sodom, after the angels told him to "head for the hills", as we would say, and even requested to stay in a small suburb of Zoar.

(Still lingering, the angels took him and his family 'by the hand', and sweetly begged them to 'come on now'?? I don't think exactly that is what is implied.)

Ever wonder why that was, that Lot asked to go to Zoar? Ya' think it mighta' been because he didn't really want to leave?? Only after the destruction of Sodom, did he go on to the hills.

Ed

#104 EdSutton, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Hebrew word for what you refer to as "taking by the hand" is chazaq...which means to seize, bind, restrain, conquer. Doesn't seem to have an indication to gently lead by the hand whatsoever. Definately a physical dragging took place.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: When the Holy Spirit physically moved the apostle Paul from one place to another in a manner inconsistent with his natural abilities, does that in any way indicate sin, unrighteousness, or even an unwillingness to obey on Paul’s part?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apostle Paul was not disobedient to the Lord...Lot was. This is comparing apples to oranges.
    Lot was living for himself, Paul was living for Christ.

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Says who?