1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do You Know Of...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, Dec 6, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Didn't God Himseld give us an invite thru prophet Isaiah "Come let us reason together, says the Lord!"

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why on God's would you ever say this to fellow believers?

I guess you're just trying to illicit a reply or something, because that is a ridiculous statement to make.

Well you're gonna have to point out where this is on the page because I read the article twice and couldn't find it. I appreciate the ministry of the Founder's group by also recognize some of their doctrinal hyperbole isn't helping the Baptist cause in America. Some of their proponents have been carelessly less than charitable.

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

What would we call that done by Billy Graham all of those years?

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Begging the question happens when you ask a question for which you already have an answer in mind. It does not state any particular position for the answer to that question. So, yes, I did see your question and your stance, hence my response.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I don't have an issue with your "begging the question" remark, so it is.

However, you've assumed my stance was one that believes the altar call to be off limits as you stated:

I don't hold to your assumption.

- Peace

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would they? I think you answered your own question:

LOL I wouldn't want to read all that, either.

The accomodation passage is toward the bottom, under "Practical Suggestions for Local Church Reformation".

7. preacher4truth

You're correct again. Careful now!!! :thumbsup:

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thanks for the correction...

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The Lord saved me during an invitation.
    I know many people who were, and are still faithful in their service to the Lord.
    There was no manipulation in the invitation to which I responded.
    And the vast majority of believing Baptists made public professions during invitations.

I repeat. I am not against the use of invitations. I am against the mis-use.

Now, let me ask a question or two here: How many people do you have on your church roll?

How many of those members will attend on any one Sunday?

I have checked a bunch of SBC churches over the years. The average is around 40%.

That means that 60% of those church members do not attend regularly. Wonder why? They claim to be saved, yet the evidence is pretty skimpy.

That raises the question: What is the basis for their belief that they are saved? What kind of exhortation was made to them that caused them to "walk the aisle?"

What kind of conversation did they have with the pastor or counselor when they arrived where he was?

Why did they just drop out of church? Why didn't they persevere?

Could it possibly have been that the call to Christ was an uncertain trumpet?

10. preacher4truth

I hear you, but we cannot conclude that the 60% were altogether those who had "walked an aisle."

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You are right. Some people I know were saved in their homes, some while they were in military service, others nowhere near a church. But at some point they presented themselves to a Baptist church, made a public confession of faith and asked for baptism.

That would mean the large majority of that 60% actually did walk down an aisle, since that is standard in a large majority of Baptist churches.

So we still have to ask that question: Why did they go out from us?