1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured do you like Robert Jeffress?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by The Angel of the South, Jul 8, 2018.

1. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you feel about Southern Baptist pastor Robert Jeffress, who has become somewhat better-known outside Baptist circles in recent years over his political associations? I have my opinions on him, but I think I should hold them back, because my familiarity with and understanding of Jeffress may be limited. I have known of him for only about five years, since the assistant pastor at my church showed Jeffress' "How Can We Know?" video series (also a book, which I later read) in our Wednesday night class.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know him, and don't have any opinion on whether I "like" him. I disagree with him on what seems to me to be too much defense of some things I see wrong with Donald Trump (or maybe just being too political in general). On the other hand, I have heard a few of his sermons on the radio that I thought were pretty good Bible teaching.

3. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Jeffress is the man! Love him. Like his theology and his unwavering moral convictions which often manifests in political opinions. I wish more were like him. The Church has lost its testimony in fighting atrocities like abortion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know virtually nothing about his particular theology, other than that my own pastor called Jeffress "Mr. Baptist"; but clearly, Jeffress has gambled that strongly and vocally supporting Donald Trump won't alienate Jeffress with other Christians outside his own church. Jeffress must think we needed Trump's Cyrus-like friendliness to Christianity (I do compare him to King Cyrus) so desperately as to supersede concerns of Trump's personal morality.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite pastor. Watch him every week.

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Love it when he goes of Fox and he's sick of all the CRAYP that's going on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Calminian

Site Supporter

I like Trump's morality. He has his sins and his rough edges. He may not be saved, and I pray for that, but Trump is helping people and trying to end the abortion holocaust. He's fulfilling God's purpose for government, in punishing the guilting and ministering to the innocent. That's quite a brave and moral stand, a lot braver than the Christians that sat out this last election.

In fact, the Christians claiming the moral high ground in opposing Trump, really owe him an apology, considering all he's done. I think they need to repent and apologize to keep their testimony.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. He tells it like it is. This nation would not be in the mess it is in today if pastors had taken a stand 60 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    I completely disagree that not supporting President Trump would invalidate a Christian's testimony, whatever that means exactly. (I get the general idea--you're suggesting a Christian's witness is no good if they don't support him. Testimony = your witness - right?). But fortunately, it doesn't apply to me--I voted for the man, if only because I certainly wasn't going to vote for the treasonous criminal Clinton (and was horrified when some Never-Trump conservatives even claimed they would).

10. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure the Christians in my church who dislike President Trump are intentionally claiming the moral high ground. But I think they're stuck in the old paradigm that a Republican who promises to pursue Christian-friendly policies must be virtuous and a Christian himself. Of note to me is that the people I heard grumbling about him are senior citizens.

11. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see anything wrong with him or what he says.

I think he has more guts than most pastors of large churches. I thought it was funny that Mitt Romney asked him to retract his saying that Mormonism is a cult. To which he replied, no.

Most of the "controversial" positions he takes, I agree with wholeheartedly.

Marty

• Like Like x 1
  12. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Robert's wording is "motivated by pride rather than principle." In other words, many people who agree with the positions Trump takes vote against Trump based on the fact they can't have such a "lowly" and "sinful" man be the President. The Bush's voted against him because of how he reduced their legacy - not based on principle.

So Senior citizens may not like him because he was caught on tape saying bad things, didn't look presidential, or something similar rather than voting on the issues.

Marty

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ideally or practically. Ideally, I agree. Practically, not supporting him is supporting the evil agendas of Chuck, Nancy, and Hillary.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Calminian

Site Supporter

Heard a sermon recently on how Christians should never argue. Don't think Jeffress would agree.

15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He enjoys a good debate.

16. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sermon, wherevr it came from, obviously acknowledges the difference between arguing and debate. Debate is constructive, arguing isn't.

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

That was one of my biggest concerns, no distinction was made, and no contrast no balance. Christians should not be involved in arguments. Very broad brush.

I would agree with you, there are good and bad arguments to be engaged in. There are issues you should take up, and issues you should overlook. There are times to contend for the faith, and times to be silent.

My point was, I think we're at a point in our culture, where the Church needs to be contending for the truth and for morality. I don't think now is the time to be silent about important issues. I think we need more Jeffresses and less pacifistic pastors who don't want to ruffle any feathers.

#17 Calminian, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Calminian

Site Supporter

An interesting article: I Wish Christians Would Argue More

19. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be careful what you wish for. The most likely result is more "speaking the truth" rather than "speaking the truth in love." I just started thinking of the time I heard the late Jerry Falwell needlessly make a [jerk] of himself on Hannity's radio show. He came on to debate Newt Gingrich's lesbian sister Candace on some issue (whether homosexuality or something else, I don't remember). Instead of using kid gloves, he behaved like a bull in a china shop, talking over her with "sinful, perverted lifestyle" etc. Gee, that must have strongly encouraged her, and any homosexual listeners, to receive Christ and then perhaps leave the lifestyle. And then Falwell was obnoxious enough to quickly follow up the ham-handed criticism with "God loves you"--e.g., after discouraging her from taking that seriously. Someone with less arrogance and more people-handling skills might have led her to Christ and left it to Him to convict her about her lifestyle.

20. Calminian

Site Supporter

I didn't see the exchange. I like Falwell (both late Sr. and Jr.) and Newt. But yes, you are right to be concerned about that, and we're all susceptible to that. Curious, if you checked out the article I linked. The author made that point as well. Meekness is a difficult balance.