1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured do you like Robert Jeffress?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by The Angel of the South, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Indeed, especially if you're specially calling someone out like Jeffress.

It's all about candidates man. It's misguided to think otherwise. You can't change anything unless you vote the right person into authority. Otherwise it's all talk.

Lincoln was necessary for the emancipation, and Christians got political and elected him into office.

The whole premise of your argument is naive. What makes you think you can separate issues from politicians? Wicked politicians would love Christians to do this, for it would ensure they would win every election. Thankfully most Christians don't buy the apolitical argument.

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing mutually exclusive about doing what you say AND dominating the political landscape.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This country was founded on those political sermons. We need our churches involved in these very important political issues. So long as the sermons are expository in nature and stick to the context of scripture and the word is rightly divided then there is no problem with being "political".

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen quite a bit of evidence that Trump is a Christian.

5. John D. Wright

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm for preaching the issues. I just believe getting into the endorsement business is not good. Inevitably, people will let you down. We should preach the truth and let people make up their own minds on politics. I think if our preaching is well done we should expect a good result.

As for me, I'd prefer to just leave particular politicians out of the discussion.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not endorse anyone. Trouble with it is if I were to do so then later some skeleton in their closet comes out and I have mudd on my face. Having a politician at my church is not an endorsement.

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At Jeffress’ First Baptist Church of Dallas, Trump Support Is Part of a 150-Year Tradition

I think this article is sort of lop-sided, but nevertheless makes the point that political support is not something new that Robert Jeffress started.

James Britton Buchanan Cranfill, an ordained Baptist minister, was the 1892 Prohibition party candidate for vice president of the United States. At some point in life he was a member of First Baptist, but probably not at the time he was running.

#47 rlvaughn, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Candidate support and political sermons were a regular part of many churches at the founding of this country.

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I remember my Baptist history, Baptist preacher John Leland was an exceptionally strong supporter of Virginia politician Thomas Jefferson.

10. John D. Wright

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. That is my point. And of course personally we all vote and pray and hopefully seek God's will in all these matters.

11. John D. Wright

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know that much about the church and I don't mean to single out Jeffress as a singular example. Lot's of preachers get political. I don't think it helps the cause of Christ. I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular.