1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you live near a bible college or seminary?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Aug 19, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

A student in another thread asked for help in locating certain books for class. It occurred to me that this might be a wonderful mission for people living near places where ministerial students roam - getting churches or church members to set up a "textbook" or "reference book" section just for bible-students to use for a semester or year, or to help the students purchase textbooks and references books.

I know some of the books can be purchased at used book stores. There are probably former students who "kept the books" and never open them.

What do you think guys? Can we start setting up the Baptist Student Unions or sections of local libraries to help out the ministerial students?

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I too am a sudent at Bible College Sky, and although I am privilidged to be able to get any book I wish, I do acknowledge that it can be quite a financial burden on students.

I hope that all churches consider assisting their local Bible College with financial support, as well as with having students come and work with them in ministry teams, that is often a huge blessing to a church when seminary students are given an opportunity in ministry.

As for the books, ABE books can be quite helpful at locating low cost second hand books.

http://www.abebooks.com/

3. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

In my opinion, the student should endeavor at all costs to purchase and keep the books. Churches should help students from their church purchase them, if necessary. It is a wise investment. College is not just about the classes, but also about obtaining the tools and techniques that will equip you for a lifetime of personal study. Your tools are your books. I heard a quote from an old-time English preacher once. He said, "American pastors have cars and nice houses. English pastors have libraries."
    We should be studious as pastors.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Fundamental Dan,

I think it would be really wonderful if churches helped the students pay for books so they could keep them.

5. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Amen!

[​IMG]

6. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I think it is a great idea. I am a mature student and I have been so blessed with people giving me books or finding books at bargain prices. Fortunately, I also have a discount card for a couple of Christian book shops which stock most of the books I need but there are some books which take a bit of tracking down.

Books over here in the U.K. are very expensive, some prohibitively so for some students, which is very sad. The group I was in always tried to share our books with others to help out wherever possible.

Blessings

followinghim

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Tex

I am there with ya'!