1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you 'open up your pulpit'?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by MRCoon, Mar 28, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! 3 times in 2 years as an intern is very little!

As soon as I knew I was called to preach at age 18, the pastor--my Dad--let me preach on a Wednesday night. I said everything I knew in 15 minutes! [​IMG]

2. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Mt Vernon Baptist Church has a very nice facility that is only about 5 years old, and is definately not on a dirt road. What are you talking about??? </font>[/QUOTE]That wouldn't by some long shot chance be Mr. Vernon Baptist of Vienna, GA, would it? Way out in the country?? They support us. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Not accoeding to his profile

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, wonder how many Mt. Vernon Baptist Churches out on country roads there are in the South? [​IMG]

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

As a pastor, I very seldom was asked to relinquish my pulpit to anyone I did not know, except during Black History Month, when our church's Education Committee would often press hard for speakers of their own choosing. (You have not HAD a church conflict until you have tried to argue that Ash Wednesday and Lent take precedence over using EVERY Sunday in February for Black History Month!). But it was not only that I was stingy with the pulpit, and not only that I wanted quality and not untrained meandering in every service, but also that I was a series preacher (that's "series", but if you want to spell it "serious", that's all right too), and too many guest preachers on random dates play havoc with trying to develop continuity.

We generally had several persons in preparation for ministry, but I did not give them Sunday mornings until they had had some training and/or there was an occasion for which their contribution would be appropriate. Preaching is not the only arena in which ministerial candidates need training, and I found that teaching and organizing ministries was also good exposure for them.

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Another thought along this line ... one poster mentioned opening his pulpit to persons of like faith and order. I personally am not completely opposed to stepping outside those boundaries (the preacher for my installation service 20 years ago was a good friend who was an Episcopal priest), but I have been intrigued at the tendency in African-American churches to call on preachers from a wide range of traditions, even Roman Catholic, to fill their pulpits. It feels as though "negritude" is the criterion rather than doctrine.

I would appreciate replies by any BB members who are African-American. Full disclosure: the church I served was 90+% African-American, but I am Caucasian.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church is in a Mt. Vernon "area" that isn't even incorporated.

7. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Amen! 3 times in 2 years as an intern is very little!

As soon as I knew I was called to preach at age 18, the pastor--my Dad--let me preach on a Wednesday night. I said everything I knew in 15 minutes! [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I had to talk to the man who mentored m the other day and he asked me a question...

When you taught the kids, did you have to work any harder to make sure they could understand it, than you would have for adults?

He observed that my first sermon was dry and accademic, at about a college level, the second was much better at H.S. level, and most got the point, the third was very good and nobody left without the point.

So, he had a plan, while I wanted more pulpet time. He said he taught new preachers to preach to everyone.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting way of mentoring. Evidently it suceeded with you. I kind of like it, though I would not do it the same way. At any rate, we do have to learn to put the bread on the shelf where all can reach it.

I trust God will give you many more years of fruitful service for Him! [​IMG]

9. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I try to preach/teach at as many different age groups as possible. Our Church has been consistent in training our "preacher boys" through Children's Church or AWANA Counsel Time. Once proven and licensed then you get to preach in regular Church Services. I still enjoy teaching in Sunday School and Bible Studies but get the most joy out of preaching in the pulpit to the whole spectrum of ages. :D