1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you speak Christianese?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, May 11, 2006.

1. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

To me, Waldrup sounds sincere. Sometimes preachers actually feel things.

His line "you ought to be ashamed" seems pretty mild. "Y'know what I see hittin this altar? The youth of this church. Some of you older ones oughta be ashamed."

Spruce Pine, NC is about as rural as you can get without getting lost in the Great Northern High Plains. Pastor Waldrup's style is local; he'd never make it on national radio, but he's really kinda ordinary and hardly remarkable along the lines of this thread's topic.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How about "I am resting in Jesus." Yes, and the phrase literally means to most, I am sitting in the pew, not paying attention when I am there, and doing absolutely nothing to support the minsitry of the church. (for 40 years +)

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Pipedude, I'm quite familiar with the style. Heard it for years throughout PA and OH.

I know some do feel things. [​IMG] However, listen to it more carefully. Having heard this style for years, it's pretty easy to pick up on the sincere and not-so-sincere.

For example, listen to the sermon, and you'll hear false emotive voice such as going from struggling to speak for supposably being so weak from the overwhelming emotion that has him in tears, to ZOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM he's pounding that pulpit and preachin' it! It's a practiced method of presentation.

I've heard preachers cry ten times a sermon and mean it. Some just do that.

And yes, that "you aught to be ashamed" line is a guilt trip. Why should they be ashamed? It's not a contest or a show. PLUS...how can they look at the teens up there if their eyes are closed and nobody's looking around? [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

If you mean that men rehearse crying before time to preach, I have to wonder how you know. I can say from personal experience that nothing in that sermon's delivery (I listened to it) was inconsistent with sincere, extemporaneous emotion.

But, for that matter, he sounds a little like Swaggart--so you never know. But I'd be afraid to accuse a preacher on the basis of that delivery alone. There's nothing incriminating in it.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Jesus is comin' again, ay-mayan? You better be ready, ay-mayan? You better get on yo' knees and be saved, ay-mayan? Well, ay-mayan, Preacher Jones, if you won't ay-mayan that kinda' preachin', I'll just ay-mayan myself.

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Here's one that someone brought up on a completely unrelated discussion on a whole nother site: "help meet" as in, "This is Agnes, my help meet." Some people will corrupt this term further, saying "helpmate."

No no no. Meet is an archaic synonym for suitable or appropriate.

It's not pious, it's not a cute affectation, it's just silly.

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

providence

How do we know the whole issue of Hezekiah wasnt providence and that God had determined all of those details before the foundation of the world! Its us whose minds often need to be changed, not God's! When we pray our goal should be to get our minds aligned with God's, not the other way around! Remember that His view of time is totally different from ours and He sees beginning to end at once. Our view of time is sequential, progressive and definitely needs much change to be aligned with God's view and will! A great book on that topic is John Bunyans, Prayer.

8. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

Ransom, you should look right at the husband and say, "Forsooth? And how long hast thine help been meet for thee?" Or something along those lines.

9. Karen

Karen Active Member

Another thread just started brought up one of the new terms I see overused:
    "missional".

Other often-used terms include: "traveling mercies" and "whisper a prayer".

Karen

10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

2B, I can see we have a lot in common. Bunyans' little work on prayer is the best one out there IMO. Written as a counter to the thing that more or less sent him to prison - the Book of Common Prayer of the church of England. Incredibily, at that time in England, praying from one's heart during a church service was considered a criminal act. Thank God for men like Bunyan that stood up!

11. Karen

Karen Active Member

"Evangellyfish" is another overworked term.

Karen