1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you stop listening...

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Sep 17, 2008.

?
  1. Yes. Absolutely.

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. No, not necessarily.

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  3. Other answer.

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do you stop listening to someone's music because they have "sinned"?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have to say, I do choose groups to listen to not just based on their music but their lives. Having met numerous artists, I can say that some really live what they sing about and others just don't. We had a music festival that we did a bunch of years ago and one band came and were HORRIBLE. It was not a big "sin" like the homosexuality or adultery or something but just an attitude. They were mad because we had the wrong water that the contract called for (because we couldn't get it), they were snotty to the "help" and they just had an attitude of entitlement. To contrast it, we had another band come who came out and met with people before hand, prayed with a couple of our kids, spent quite some time in prayer before the concert and then gave one young man a coat because he didn't have one. Which one do you think got my business after that?? That's continued.

I'm a person who carries a grudge. Seriously - I know I need to get over it but when I hear that someone is basically thumbing their nose at God yet still claiming to be a Christian, it bothers me. I won't listen to their music anymore nor will I purchase anything of theirs. I'd have to see a big change and hear a public apology before I'd listen to them again. It's not just the music but the image that they portray. They are in a place of being an example. That was their choice - and they need to be held accountable for what they do.

3. billreber

billreber New Member

"For all have sinned . . ."

Therefore, I will not "refuse" to listen to music recorded by someone who has "sinned" -- because we all have! By the same token, I have to agree with Ann that I will not choose to listen to music recorded by someone who is "in His Face" anti-God in their behavior or songs.

A few years ago, I was visiting a church on Sunday evening, and the youth were presenting a program they had been working with to the congregation. The music they played was what I would call "hard-rock Christian", and one of the elderly members of that church got into a very angry conversation (after the service had ended) with the daughter of the music leader. The elderly woman "could not understand why that devil-music" was being played in church. I "moderated" for a while, helping her find that some of the youth in attendance that night had come to be saved by listening to that very same music. Some even admitted that they had introduced some of their friends to Jesus using the same music! The elderly lady was smart enough to acknowledge that she had learned something that night, and would support the youth ministry in using thre music "that would reach the lost"! (BTW, I agreed with her on one matter--that music was TERRIBLE!)

Is music by an avowed homosexual (Ray Boltz) off-limits? Maybe, but can it reach someone who is looking for Jesus? That is not for me to answer. MY job is to tell people about Jesus. If a good song does the job, I will use it. If the singer violates God's will, I can only tell listeners that the singer was wrong, but that the song is still a good message. "Does He Still Feel the Nails"?

Bill :jesus: :godisgood:

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

To me, the way that the polling question is literally worded would have to include any genre of music (NOTE: It didn't specifically say "Christian" music).

I listen to a variety of genres of music, several of which are not necessarily "Christian" as such.

Actually, my favorite genre isn't what most folks would classify as "Christian" music at all. It's generally referred to as "Classical" music.

Applying the "because they have 'sinned'" criteria, that probably would have to eliminate all of the music that Tchaikovsky (who many claimed was a homosexual) composed (e.g., The 1812 Overture [a Fourth of July favorite]; The Nutcracker Suite [a favorite of the Christmas season]; not to mention his Piano Concerto #1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23; or any of his 6 symphonies).

I guess any work that the late Leonard Bernstein (who died of AIDS) conducted would have to fall into this "because he has 'sinned'" category too.

And what about the many composers who probably were never born-again Christians? Fellows like Mozart (who died in what many claimed was a drunken stupor) composed several Masses and other avowedly Roman Catholic musical works [This isn't to say that NO RCC's aren't saved, but I venture to say that the majority of devout practicing ones probably aren't--but that's the subject for another thread.] come to mind. Haven't they "sinned" because they probably never received Christ as their personal Savior?

So where do you draw the line? As billreber reminds us, "All have sinned." If you've ever told a lie, you've violated one of the Ten Commandments just as much as if you've murdered some one or committed adultery.

And, speaking of adultery, didn't Jesus Himself suggest that "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her" (John 8:7)?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I was thinking the same thing, we wouldn't have music in this case.

6. Reformer

Reformer New Member

Yes all have sinned, so I listen to the music of sinners.

At the same time if someone is openly and unrepentently living in a completely sinful lifestyle. Then no I will not support them in anyway,(other than Prayer) until the fruits of repentance show themselves in their life.

So in short it depends on the nature of the sin and repentance involved.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So you say there is no way to love the song and not condone the lifestyle of the artist? Jesus himself loved the sinner but not the sin. Certainly we can follow his example.

8. Reformer

Reformer New Member

nope not what I said

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have and then realized that I am in no position to judge them. If a person shouldn't sing and praise God because of sin in his life, then none of us would be able to praise Him. I've met several people who thought they were perfect (I was married to one of them:laugh: ), but I don't think anyone other than Jesus has ever actually been perfect.

I can enjoy the music and its message without thinking about the person's sin. I don't concentrate on the person. I concentrate on the music and the message in it.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd rather not know whether an artist is liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican, tree hugger or gas-hog, drug addict or tea-totaler ...

I want to enjoy their music.

When an artists actions and 'verbage' overpower the beauty of their music, the magic is lost and I stop listening to them.

Rob

11. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

This whole flap reminds me of the storm of controversy when Amy Grant first divorced her husband to marry Vince Gill and then started to "cross over" into the pop music realm.

Then we also had Sandy Patti and Michael English who had their own share of problems. I'm sure that there have been others too.

Why is it that some people are so quick to write these people off? Someone once said that it amounts to "shooting the wounded."

I'd almost kinda like to send Ray Boltz a card, but I can't send him a Hallmark card because now they print cards for same-sex marriages. I couldn't include a gift card to him from McDonalds because some of Ronald McDonald's people are on the board of some gay organization. In fact, I probably couldn't send him a letter at all on the remote possibility that it might be shipped on a truck made by Ford, or that the mail sack in which it may be placed might also include a packet of tickets for someone to visit Disney World.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Thank you.

13. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot in good conscience purchase or promote music by a Christian artist who is openly living in sin and is unrepentant about it. For me, it would be like listening to a pastor preach who was openly cheating on his wife. If I can't respect the messenger, how can I respect the message?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My feeling exactly. Shooting the wounded? Nah - just being discerning. I'm not attacking them. I'm just using my right to no longer listen to their music or support their job. Nothing wrong with that.

15. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Considering my own experience with being divorced from an adulterous woman and the rejection and condemnation I experienced from deacons, I know how judgmental "Christians" can be.

I seriously doubt that very many gospel singers' lives are what God would want them to be. However, they are singing His praises, and hopefully He is getting glory and honor from it. If we listen only to those whom we KNOW are Spirit-filled and sinless, we won't have anyone to enjoy. I only know of one Person who lived a sinless life on earth.

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Are you able to read the Psalms? David sinned and was a sinner.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We're not looking for sinless perfection. But someone who pretends to be something that they're not, then that makes a difference. I'll listen to someone like the Ramones (love their music) because they are what they say they are - sinners. But if someone comes along claiming that they're Christians - new creations - being made into the likeness of Christ - yet live in BLANTANT, IN YOUR FACE sin, then that's not someone I want to support. What did David do when he was shown his sin? He cried out in repentance to the Lord and begged his forgiveness. He didn't say "Well, God made me this way so I'm going to glory in it." THAT is the difference.

As I said, I've met many different Christian artists and some are who they claim to be and some are not. I've seen some step out of the limelight to work on personal issues with sin in their lives so that they will not be a "role model" to sin. Yes, we all sin but to be blatant about it and to say it's OK is wrong. That's against Scripture. People in the industry end up being kind of like elders to others. People look up to them whether they like it or not. They become someone to emulate and those who understand that and work humbly for their God are those who will get my money as I purchase their music. The others? The ones who were nasty to us? The ones who openly sin and say there is nothing wrong with it? Nope. I'll practice my right to say "no" and not support sin.