1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you take an NSAID?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by PJ, May 28, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, I take a prescribed NSAID

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Yes, I take an over-the-counter NSAID (such as Aleve)

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. No, I have no need for NSAIDs

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An NSAID is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug used to reduce pain and inflammation. It is most often used by patients who have arthritis. There are both over the counter NSAIDs (such as Aleve) or they may be prescribed (such as Flurbiprofen). To use NSAIDs continuously is not recommended.

If you take an NSAID, please tell us what it's called and what condition you take it for.

Thanks ...

#1 PJ, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
  2. historyb

historyb New Member

I take Aleve once in a while for headaches when I can't from the Excedrin

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I would take prescription pain medication for my arthritis and bursitis if I could afford it, but I just suffer the pain. I do occasionally take a generic store brand medication off the shelf that does very little for the pain but does seem to help a little. Unfortunately, my health insurance isn't good for much, although it's better than no insurance at all.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I take Wal-Mart's "Equate" brand Ibuprofen with NSAID for headaches and arthritis. There are some products that I stay away from...NSAID with high sodium count I won't take.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Equate is the one I use. I also use their sinus medication. Why pay $12 or more for 100 pills when the store brand is a third the cost and works just as well? More expensive is not necessarily better.

6. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will normally take Ibuprofen for major toothaches or if I am feeling bodyaches when I have the flu. The problem is, I quickly build an immunity when I take Ibuprofen for toothaches. One time, I was taking three 200 mg pills about three times a day for about four days. When it got to the point where 600 mg a dose wasn't working, I decided to lay off the pills until my immunity went back down. I just had to endure the pain & look up at the ceiling while in bed.

When I take it for bodyaches with flu-like symptoms, it even though I am still miserable, I can move around & do what needs to be done. I don't like calling in sick at work even if I'm feeling achy. Generally when I get to the point of sweating profusely in an airconditioned room / building or having chills, that's when I will go home & get into bed.

Something that I found that works when you are having chills, is take the clothes you are wearing & put them in the dryer for about 5 to 10 minutes. This will make your clothing warm. You'll be able to stay comfortable longer than by covering up & uncovering with a blanket. The best part is you won't have to keep getting out of bed to adjust the airconditioner.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've had that 'discussion' so many times with people. The active drug is the same, whether it be store brand/generic aspirin, ibuprofen, acetamenophen, as opposed to Bayer, Advil, Tylenol, respectively. But brainwashing can be hard to shake. A commercial has someone's story of having a heart attack and taking a Bayer aspirin and living to tell-- thus, Bayer aspirin can "save your life." It's not false, but it whitewashes the real point-- any aspirin might save your life under the right, and very rare, circumstance.

And I doubt if it's only in my part of the country that the large majority of medical and dental offices recommend Advil by name as the OTC med if needed. I think they get kickbacks for that.

8. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

The VA prescribed Etodolac (Lodine).
    It sort of works but I wonder about all the warnings. I don't take it often.

#8 Carolina Baptist, May 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
  9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I recently got a prescription for one, up until I occasionally took Ibuprofen.

10. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carolina Baptist and SaggyWoman, is arthritis the reason you're taking an NSAID?

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Arthritis is not the reason to take mine. He gave it to me for a form of tendonitis in my heel, but it sure helps everything else. Diclofenac Sodium.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I take Aleve if my back is really hurting, Advil for headaches (is Advil an NSAID?).

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you take Advil instead of cheaper ibuprofen? And I'm sure there is less expensive naproxen also.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Because the Advil works better. :love2:

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Yo for the generics!!

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've actually tested them and come to that conclusion?

17. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, it is ... :type:

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I've tried other things, yes.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not trying to give this thread an unfriendly tone-- knowing that happens to too many-- but by "other things" you have tried, are these generic/store brands of ibuprofen, or do you mean other drugs like aspirin and acetamenophen? The real test of this would be to have someone else prepare your Advil and generic ibuprofen such that you don't know which you are taking and you record any results. But the big pharmaceutical companies, like Wyeth (maker of Advil) work hard to see that many or most consumers do not even give thought that "cheaper is just as good." So we have all their television ads, like someone with a 'pounding headache' takes the product and is all smiles and playing with grandchildren or something; and the colors and grahics on their cartons or bottles lead the eyes to their product instead of the 'plain' store brands. All this works to keep people brainwashed, and obviously it works well. Until you get a hold on it and do your own testing or research.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's one for you: look at the website http://www.advil.com/ and you will see on the home page the word ibuprofen is not even mentioned. Look at the FAQ's and it is there only in the final one in which a type of coating is described-- and not anything Wyeth calls Advil's coating. It's obvious they want to keep as many people as possible ignorant of what Advil is. They want consumers to segregate in their minds Advil as opposed to simply ibuprofen. Notice also, they do mentioned Tylenol by name in referring to a 'test' of how quickly both products relieve pain. If they said "acetamenophen" instead of Tylenol, that would lessen defeat of their chief competitor.