1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think God has a sense of humor?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Brett, Aug 15, 2003.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Read carefully. Do I say that you believe that comedy is sinful? Nope. I make the statement that laughter in and of itself is sinful is nowhere to be found in Scripture.

What I did say about you is this: "It appears to me that you are encouraging other Christians in your church to not enjoy the Christian life, and it is no wonder that so few young people go to your church, honestly. I know that I would not want to. I wonder what type of example it sends non-believers when you tell them that the only time God laughs is when He is destroying something."

2. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Scott,

You have taken the words of the Bible out of context, my words out of context, and now your own words out of context. LOL! Here is what you actually said:

"As to laughter being sinful in and of itself, the passage just doesn't exist. I do not understand why you continue the 'argument from silence.' It appears to me that you are encouraging other Christians in your church to not enjoy the Christian life, and it is no wonder that so few young people go to your church, honestly."

Now any man who read that would conclude that you had accused me of believing that it is sinful to laugh.

Mark Osgatharp

3. ScottEmerson

That's what I said. The first sentence goes with the ones before. The second and third sentence go with the ones afterward. You're trying to hang on to a string here.

4. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

All right you guys. There are two entirely different aspects of humor being talked about here. Can God experience humor and can man experience humor. Of course we all know that we experience humor and that is the way God made us and he didn't make us junk! It is therefore a good thing for us to laught and humor is indeed an effective coping mechanism.

But God Himself? Can He experience humor - directly? It is difficult for my mind to see how that could be. After all, He is in eternity, all knowing, all seeing. There can be no surprises for Him. He transcends all languages; how can He experience a pun? Perhaps there is some way He can experience humor but I must confess it is beyond my ability to comprehend how that could be.

But to say that God cannot experience humor is NOT to say MAN should NOT experience humor! Man SHOULD experience humor! God made us that way.

As for Jesus, surely, in the days of His flesh, Jesus could experience humor and jokes.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't think God "laughs" (merriment, humor) would suggest you reread my post on page 1 of this thread.

6. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Scott,

The next time you make a post why don't you follow it up with a commentary so everyone will know what you really said. LOL!

Mark Ogatharp

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's not necessarily true. [​IMG] I still watch old Seinfeld and Simpson's episodes, ones that I've seen a million times before. And yet, when it gets to a particularly funny part (that I have, of course, memorized), I still laugh. [​IMG]

Homer: My name is Mr. Burns, and I believe you have a letter for me.

Post office guy: OK, What's your first name, Mr. Burns?

Homer: I don't know.

That still makes me laugh every time. :D

Ergo, methinks we could make God laugh.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Brett, There's an outstanding book out called, "The Gospel According to the Simpsons", which examines the rich religious content (specifically the Christian content - there's a lot more there than you would think) of the show.

On a lighter note, one of my favorite bits from the show is where Homer has just walked into the kitchen where Marge has left a plate of freshly baked cookies to cool.

Homer folds his hands and closes his eyes in prayer and says, "Dear God, if you want me to eat these cookies, give me no sign whatsoever...((waiting))...((waiting))...Thy will be done" and then attacks the plate of cookies.

8. ScottEmerson

Sorry. Didn't know such simple words needed such explanation. Who knew that my writing was so complex!

9. Brett

Brett New Member

There are lots of funny Simpsons thigns having to do with religion. [​IMG]