1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you tithe?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 7, 2013.

?
  1. Yes [up to ten percent]

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I give less than ten percent, as times are tough.

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  4. I tithe [10%] and give occasionally

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. I tithe, and give generously

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Our church takes an offering with offering plates passed

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  7. Church collects offering after service in buckets at rear of church

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  8. I give my tithe to other ministries, as our church is well off!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I do not believe the tithe is mandated in the NT church

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  10. No opinion - see my comments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

So, if proportional giving is an option, what proportion of our income are we talking about? Is it an arbitrary figure?

How do we interpret I Corinthians 16:2 "as God has prospered you...."?

Seems to me that the tithe is a pretty good guideline for proportional giving.

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Since God's tithe was never money, and since God's Word tells us that His tithe was abolished, how can it be a good guideline?

If it were a guideline, then how so?

Under the Law, only agricultural produce and livestock were considered titheable. Which means that not all peoples were required to tithe.

How is that a guideline?

Under the Law, God's tithe was limited to one nation... Israel.

How is that a guideline?

One can choose to give 10% of one's money to the Church, but as Brother Daniel stated, it is not a tithe by any Biblical definition. It is merely 10% of one's money... an offering, if you will, but not a tithe.

By the way, 1 Corinthians 16 wasn't even an offering for the Church in which it was collected.... it was for another people in another location.

1 Corinthians 16:1-3 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.

The instruction was concerning a collection, but it was not for the benefit of the Church at Corinth. Rather, it was a collection that would be sent to those in need in Jerusalem. Also, Paul, being a Benjamite, would not have been eligible to receive tithes. Only Levites could receive tithes. Clearly, what Paul was encouraging in his epistle to Corinth was not tithing.

#22 Steadfast Fred, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Well said. There are examples of tithing outside of the law. There's nothing wrong with a person tithing as long as you give cheerfully.

Well said

The NT command is that "Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 cor 9:7

4. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

There's a very good article on this from Billy Graham:

http://www.billygraham.org/articlepage.asp?articleid=1785

Billy Graham answers: The Bible says we should give because we want to, and "not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7). At the same time, churches and other ministries need money to operate; to be blunt, if they don't have any, they'll go out of existence.
    Even Jesus' little band of disciples had a treasurer, and the Bible mentions several women who "were helping to support them out of their own means" (Luke 8:3).

The matter of your giving is between you and God, and He always takes into account our circumstances. (Thank goodness!) He knows when they are beyond our power to direct and control. The important thing is that we see giving as a privilege and not a burden. It should not be out of a sense of duty, but rather out of love for the Lord and a desire to see His kingdom advanced.

This makes me feel better because I have some friends and family members who have made me feel pretty low when I sometimes cant afford to give as much as I'd like. Sometimes I'm only able to give maybe $5. (I'm unemployed). But I always try to give sometime.

5. Steadfast Fred

Giving and tithing are two separate things . Tithing was abolished in the 1st century according to the Word of God.

While giving is encouraged many times after the cross, tithing is never encouraged after the cross.

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Jesus gave 100%.

Just saying.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Haha. Thats what I call a Grand Slam home run!

8. Steadfast Fred

Thanks.

To quote ktn4eg, "Jus' sayin'"

9. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Indeed. The apostles did as well. If you REALLY want to 'give' as the apostles did then go sell EVERYTHING you have and bring it to the church on Sunday. Any takers?

BTW, I do not believe that was normative so no we shouldn't do it today.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

So, if you don't buy into tithing, how DO you decide how much to give?

Do you have a set percentage? Do you give whatever's left after the bills are paid? Do you sometimes skip a Sunday because you want to spend it on something else?

Do you give more than 10%? Do you give it all to the church or do you divide it up among different ministries?

If the tithe was abolished for Christians, why did Jesus endorse it?

What Scripture passage abolishes the tithe?

Didn't Jesus say he didn't come to abolish the Law,but to fulfill it?

Just askin'.

11. Steadfast Fred

Whatever I decide to give, I give. Be it 1%, 6%, 10%, 20%, or more.
    No, no set percentage.
    Scripture encourages us to pay our debts first. If we don't take care of our own household, we are worse than an infidel.
    On what? Foolishness? Of course not. But if the wife is needing medicine, or we have no food in the house, you can be assured the money will be spent to that purpose.
    Really none of your business what I, or anyone else, gives.
    I give where the need is, when I have to give; whether in Church or by the side of the road, or to the person who does not have enough to pay for their groceries in a checkout line at a store.

Jesus endorsed the tithing for the scribes and Pharisees, who, being Jews, were required to tithe under the Mosaic Law which was still in effect during Jesus earthly ministry. He never endorsed the tithe for Gentile Converts or people of other nations.

Ephesians 2:14-15 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Malachi 3:7-8 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Malachi 3 identifies the tithe as an ordinance. Ephesians reveals that the ordinances written in commandments has been abolished.

Nope. What He said was,

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

What does the word fulfil mean? Shall we look?

Strong's Greek Dictionary
    4137. pleroo

plhrow pleroo play-ro'-o
    from 4134; to make replete, i.e. (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.:--accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

Jesus' death brought us into a new covenant. The old is no more applicable. In that new covenant, He brought an end to the Law.

Without destroying the Law, Jesus ended the Law.

Just answerin'

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I am not sure I understand where you are going with this. Are you stating that you do not give to your church? I know you are specifically referring to the notion of tithing - but are you saying that you don't give money to the church at all? Notice I am asking a question - the only correct answer is the one you provide.

IMO, I have never understood the notion that tithing is somehow Unscriptural, or that we were released from this under the New Covenant. Notice I am only speaking to my lack of understanding on this - not being judgemental. I simply believe what is written in Chapter 3 of Malachi - specifically, Verse 8.

On the same note, I believe Verse 10, and I am living proof that God pours out His Blessings. I have a good job, a great house, good health (for both myself and my family), and a relatively good amount of prosperity. A point worth noting is the "Blessing" isn't necessarily a monetary one. Moreover, I have really received a blessing from being able to raise the amount of tithes and offerings as God has blessed me in my own financial situation.

Put another way, I am not too concerned whether or not it is required of us: I simply love to tithe to my church, and I LOVE - as pointed out above - that God gave more than 10% to us.

Bear in mind I can only speak for my personal situation - not judging anyone (and that can sometimes get lost in translation when posting on a board). I responded to Steadfast Fred's comments because I find them intriguing

Regards, hope all is well with everyone,
    BiR

13. Steadfast Fred

Baptist in Richmond,

See my above reply to Tom Butler. It answers most of your questions.

As to the Malachi 3 passage, that is not speaking of monetary blessings, nor is it speaking of a monetary tithe.

Since God's Word affirms that the tithe was abolished, how can you say you are blessed for tithing? Seems to me that if God abolished the tithe, which the Word states that He did, He would also abolish the blessings that followed the tithe.

As I stated above, Malachi is not speaking of a monetary tithe. At the time he delivered that message from the Lord, the tithe was of agricultural produce. It was commanded in the Law of Moses.

Bring the tithe into the storehouse. Why? That there may be meat in mine house. Meat... Food. It was not speaking of money at all.

Now, i have no doubt that you are blessed. But can you say with absolute authority that your blessings are a result of "tithing"? Or could it be because of something else that God is pleased with.

I have not tithed for many years now, yet I see the blessings of God every day. If, as you say Malachi 3 is there to tell us to tithe, why am i not experiencing the curse for not tithing?

#33 Steadfast Fred, Jul 9, 2013
  14. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Jesus did fulfill the law. And according to Hebrews, in fulfilling the law covenant and bringing in the New Covenant the Old has vanished away. (Heb 8:7-13)

Jesus endorsed the tithe under the Old Covenant system, as the New wasn't inaugurated until Calvary. And no specific passages speaks solely about the tithe (that I can recall) but the tithe was an integral part of the Old Covenant. The New Testament is clear that the Old Covenant has passed away and been superseded by the New.

Rom 8:1-4
    Rom 10:4-8
    2Cr 3:7-11
    Gal 3:10-19
    Col 2:13-23
    Eph 2:14-15
    Hbr 7:11-12, 18-19, 28
    Hbr 8:4-13
    Hbr 10:1-2, 10-12

[2Cr 9:7 KJV] Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

^That determines how much I give.

However much I have decided to give is how much I give. There is no law for giving now, and even if we tried to give under the Old Covenant system most of us can't, I don't have a garden to grow my own produce nor do I have a Levite to give my tithe to! We are to give whatever we determine to give and however we feel God leading.

As for my family, we give with one check at the end of the month since our first paycheck goes to rent and bills.

#34 RLBosley, Jul 9, 2013
  15. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Also, most correlate "tithe" to 10% and that is what the word literally means. However, under the Old Covenant there was more than one tithe and if you could assign a percentage to the amount of agriculture given in the tithes the year end total would be closer to 25%, not just a simple 10%.