1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you use a pulpit when you preach?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by starviola, Mar 4, 2015.

1. starviola

starviola New Member

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I would be interested if responses could also include how the pastor is referred to. I.e., Pastor <lastname>, Pastor <firstname>, <only firstname>

I think it would be an interesting correlation :).

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I preach, I do use a pulpit - as I always use notes. I'm the type to wander (in my words) so it is imperative that I follow my notes to stay on subject.

I am currently not a pastor or assist - but in my current church - some do address me as pastor, as I have been one in the past.

I believe it is good to address him as pastor, as it is a sign of respect.

Here is a post I started some time ago.

#3 Salty, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Though I'm not a pastor, I do have several opportunities to preach at my home church and at sister churches. Each and every one of these churches has a pulpit. I use it as a place to rest my Bible and often keep a glass or bottle of water. I sometimes get a really dry mouth when preaching. I do not stay behind the pulpit, though. I tend to walk about, typically in front of the preacher's bench or up the center aisle a bit. My church is full of "typical" Baptists who like to sit as close to the door as possible. :smilewinkgrin:

As for our pastor's title, His first name is Jerry and we tend to call him Brother Jerry. He isn't a fan of the title Reverend, and I'm not really either.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

#5 Scarlett O., Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use a pulpit, but it is more of a wooden lectern. We used to have a big monstrosity. One previous pastor called it a "sacred desk" and was serious about having to speak from behind it.

I wander when I preach. I have a small notebook that carries my notes and the scriptures I use.

To answer Matt Wade's question, I am called Tom or Pastor Tom by most adults and PT by the younger people. It really doesn't matter to me what I am called.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My husband uses a pulpit as a "home base" where he keeps his iPad with the Scripture (he will use his Bible but recently his eyes have been bothering him so he keeps the iPad set up with larger type as a back-up if needed) and it holds his water. Other than that, he tends to walk. He prefers it that way. He carries his Bible and notes in his hand.

He is called Pastor Bob by most although we don't introduce him that way. We usually just call him Bob and if people call him that, I don't think that we'd even notice that they didn't use Pastor. :) A few people outside of church call him Reverend but that is mostly people at our yacht club who work there so they call everyone Mr. or Mrs. so and so and they know he's a pastor so they just call him Reverend.

8. starviola

starviola New Member

Wow, I didn't expect to get so many responses! I like that the pastor called the pulpit the sacred desk, I've never heard it called that before.

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an old term, but then i'm old too.

10. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Yeah, I remember the men of my grandfather's generation calling it a "sacred desk." You'll hear it every now and then today, but not often.

11. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use a Manhasset music stand. They've been around since 1935 so I guess that makes me Old School.

And I answer to Pastor, Padre, my given name, Hey You and Honey if it's madre speaking.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's perfectly fine. The OP is just promoting his on-line church supply site. He goes by many different names across the net promoting the same link.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the whole thing was kind of hokey, who would write a short post about pulpit use. Doesn't add up.

14. Gib

Gib Active Member

Your given name is Hey You? Imma try look you up on FB.

15. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Lol. I followed the link. There's a lot of good, biblical reasons on there to buy a pulpit. Actually, by a lot, I mean two. And by biblical, I don't mean biblical. The whole post comes down to: convenient place for a drink and for your Bible.

16. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really its enyawd dnarud. You will understand.

17. Gib

Gib Active Member

:thumbsup:

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

One of my favorite things is watching guest pastors come speak behind the music stand - because the ones who are used to a full pulpit quickly become obvious. Hehehehe! Cracks me up...

19. starviola

starviola New Member

Actually, I am genuinely interested in what pastors use to speak from. I honestly didn't expect so many varied responses. I thought most pastors used the standard wooden pulpits or the acrylic ones. I like the music stand response, it reminds me of my music teacher in middle school who would always give the lesson from it, even though we never really played instruments in that class, just learned about music history and stuff. The sacred desk term definitely gave me a chuckle. It's kinda hard to make pulpits seem "interesting" so if you have any suggestions to make them seem more exciting please let me know. :thumbs: