1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do your clothes meet 1611 standards?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by humblethinker, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read a little book called "As A Man Thinkith" by James Allen. His premise piggybacks off of Christs purity teachings.

see what you think...its not long!

http://jamesallen.wwwhubs.com/think.htm

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

The word you were looking for is dancing. Those skirts will lead to dancing.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

ahhh, yes, I think I've read the book... What is the scriptural basis for believing, "As a man thinketh"? Is that phrase found in the Bible? Is that teaching found in the Bible?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't that refer to how a man thinks in his own heart, so he is?

5. humblethinker

Yes. I guess what I would object to is the idea that we humans can tell what is or was in a person's heart, in specifics and exhaustively in a necessary way. The saying, "As a man thinketh in his heart" is not in the Bible. The scripture that comes closest to that phrasing is found in Proverbs and the meaning of the verse is highlighting the duplicity of the mal-intentioned man. I'm not saying that this is always the case but, some may interpret "As a man thinketh in his heart" as though the appearance obviously and necessarily determines the previous thought.

Also, the idea conveyed in "Our actions equal the sum of our thoughts." While I may generally agree with this it seems to me to bee too often used as a trite statement which allows us to forego the effort of actually thinking. What are we saying and what can we deduce from "Our actions equal the sum of our thoughts"? Does that mean we should make sure that our good thoughts numerically outnumber the bad? Or that the time we spend thinking on good thoughts should be more than the time we spend thinking on bad thoughts? What about the weight of some thoughts compared to others? The term "sum", meaning "An amount obtained as a result of adding numbers" may be one of the problem points for me. This seems too simplistic, as though behavior comes from nothing more than simple arithmetic, it seems a sort of Reductive Fallacy

I think it is better to say "Our actions obtain due to the nature of their ontological possibility combined with decisions of the mind and/or heart." To me, that's really saying something, or at least it's saying more than "As a man thinketh in his heart". Case in point: I can think many bad thoughts about a potential or imagined event and one good thought of the same and actually decide on the good course of action.

I do agree with the overall meaning of the axim though, if it means that thoughts are by nature influential and some thoughts determine action.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    your askin me? LOL :laugh:

Proverbs 23:7

For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.
    “Eat and drink!” he says to you,
    But his heart is not with you.

For Starters.....

7. humblethinker

I think I spoke to your post here just above... We prolly missed each other in passing so to speak.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

They are certainly preferable to the skirts/short some wear at present that barely cover "possible" as Dolly Partin would say!

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, seems sexists as there are no men's apparel being offered.

HankD

10. OldRegular

I would say the same applies to men's clothes!

11. humblethinker

Today's Skinny Jeens

I think today's 'skinny jeans' worn by some worship leaders today had their origen in mens' fashion of the 1600's! 1611skirts.com could sell those and be even more reflective of the times!
    ;-)

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Personal Opinion Time!

"skinny jeans" (and the like) are wicked....and I think anybody who dresses like that is NOT leading any kind of real worship!...at least not for the God of the Bible. Call me a "legalist" if you want to but the thoughts I have to fight off when I see a woman dressed like that are anything BUT godly and moral (some might even call me a pervert for even suggesting this) BUT...at least I'm not afraid to tell the truth out in the open!...and as my Pastor told me the other day ( and we were talking about this very thing)..."Thank God for the Blood of Christ!" While I do believe women are more affected by what they hear than by what they see (like us guys) you can't tell me that them seeing a man dressed in skin tight pants or shirts doesn't draw an improper 1st AND 2nd glance out of them as well. Humble...I'm sorry...I know you were merely trying to have a little fun with the OP but this one is a real sticky issue for me. Immorality has taken a huge toll in this culture and literally enslaved many and wiped out godly purity in more ways that we can count.:tear: It has taken a terrible toll in my own family and even with my own children. A terrible snare of this hateful old serpent we call the devil and Satan. It just can't be too soon that he is consigned to the lake of fire forever and ever (Rev. 20:10)

One further thing...this is a hobby-horse I'd willingly ride because I believe that the wicked fashion designers and retailers of our day are only too willing to sacrifice any sense of morality or modesty for the sake of a buck. The "love of money is the root of all evil" as rightly stated in the KJV! This is just more proof that the Word of God is true. In any case the morality and moral purity of our children and grandchildren are part of what is at stake! I wish someone could prove me wrong but I don't think so. I look forward to the day when I'll finally stand in His glorious presence and for the 1st time truly know and experience genuine purity. That will be a great day.:thumbsup:

Bro.Greg

13. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

OK, I'll call you a legalist. You're a legalist.

Women are not accountable for the thoughts you choose to have.

Clothes, like all objects, are amoral. KJ worship is still idolotry though.

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Yeah...OK...

Ok...if you say so....but I'll just let your comment bounce off...no effect...!..except to answer this way.....Legalism is only an issue if you are trying to convince someone they have TO DO SOMETHING in order TO BE SAVED. I'm as far away from being a legalist as anybody can get! In my opinion.

As for the comment about accountability...we are ALL accountable to conduct ourselves in a manner that does not cause another brother or sister to stumble or fall (see the principles taught in 1 Cor. 8:9, Romans 14:19-21 to name a few) We all..as Christians...live in glass houses! We may be the only Bible some will read before they are saved...if they ever get that way. Our outer testimony matters just like our inner one does! In your heart you know that is true.

Beyond that...I don't "worship" the KJV....I revere it as being what it in fact is...the Word of God....and my final authority for my faith and the practice of my walk and fellowship with my God. What is it to you?

By the way...I love you brother...or is it sister? (I can't tell by your screenname) However, I think you are misguided (as I'm sure you think me to be)

God Knows...in spite of us!

Bro.Greg:type:

15. OldRegular

It is naive to believe that the clothes, or lack thereof, that some people wear does not direct the mind to thoughts that are inappropriate for Christians. It also should be noted that the old nature is still present in the believer and will be until death.

16. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, OR, don't be interjecting common sense into the middle of this conversation. It's unbecoming..... but you are spot on!

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Skinny jeans are wicked? Why not leggings? Why not boot cut jeans? Or are they ALL evil?

I'll just never get it. Look at these horrid clothes from the Renaissance time. See how the men's clothes in the one picture emphasize a personal area? And the other guy is wearing a SKIRT?! Check it out: http://www.fashion-era.com/english-costume/1509-1547-king-henry-viii-tudor.htm

So it was okay for men to wear short skirts and panty hose, but not for women.

Now we're in a whole new era, but women are not supposed to wear pants that cover them from the waist down, but they CAN wear skirts, even on windy days?

This doesn't make much sense.

Gregory, you need to get out the Bible and point out where it says what clothing is wicked and what clothing is not. I have yet to have one person be able to point that out. The one thing I've noticed in scripture is that it talks about women being shamed by having to expose their thigh, so the only thing I've found that even hints at some type of particular style being wrong would be ones that show the thigh. That would be short shorts, mini skirts, and short dresses, but even that is pushing it as far as calling it a rule set forth in the Bible, since it seemed a cultural way to shame women in that particular place. In other places at the same time, fashions let the thigh be seen, so it wouldn't have worked in those areas.

18. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thank You

Old Reg....Thank you for the sense of scriptural "gravity" your comments added to this discussion.

Bro.Greg:thumbsup:

19. Gregory Perry Sr.

Now Gina......really!

Now Gina.....I don't (ya hear that guys...I am admitting it)...I don't have a chapter and verse for you...and as far as I know nobody else does either (PLEASE somebody correct me if I'm wrong...PLEASE!) This is all and ONLY about modesty and our old natures as Old Regular pointed out. I will only admit to you what looking at a woman in skin-tight clothing (OR not enough clothing) does to ME. Everybody else will have to get honest for their own selves....but I know I'm not alone here! I also believe that true biblical modesty is more a matter of the heart than the clothes....BUT....we are stuck with these vile old adamic natures until we get to heaven so we need to do all we can to resist the flesh, subdue it, and try our best not to FEED IT! That holds true for men AND women.

God wants us to live Holy lives. It should be reflected in our dress as well. I appreciate a modestly clothed woman and when I encounter one in public (never in private) and if it is possible to do so in an unforward, modest and humble way, I try to thank them for the effort they have made to reflect a modest appearance in public and offer public praise to God for that. I've found most of them appreciate the comment and the compliment. We all just need to be totally honest with ourselves,our God, and each other. As I said elsewhere.....as Christians we live in "glass houses" and our lives and testimonies are (or should be) open for public inspection. The world is watching...question is...what are we showing them? I pray we'll just all use some HONEST, GODLY, Common Sense here.:thumbsup:

Just my thoughts on the matter,
    Signed,
    The Legalist!
    Bro.Greg:thumbsup:

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Oh man. You comment? That's a bit...creepy. The only reason I'd be nice would be if I didn't have my mace with me and was trying to get away from the scary guy. :laugh: Sounds like you mean well, but do you have any idea how it sounds to say you're going up to women and complimenting them on not showing you too much flesh? What if I did that to you on the street? "Hey, strange man, I appreciate that you took the extra effort to not showcase your manly parts. I noticed, and thank you for that!"

See what I mean?

I agree on modest clothing. We may just have a different definition of modest. To me, a modest outfit might be skinny jeans and a longish shirt. I see women in skirts or dresses at church and they go past their knees, but when they sit in a chair during Sunday school at the table across from where I am, you can see way up their skirt if their legs aren't cross and if they are, you can see their thighs. I'd rather them be wearing jeans in a mixed class, don't need my hubby seeing that and quite frankly, it's not exactly a treat for me as a female.