1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrinal Defintions of Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, that was the passage I was thinking of.

peace to you:praying:

2. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

First what separates them from the rest of the world is Jesus Christ who makes them righteous. That is what separates them. Secondly, no I am not missing the presence of the Holy Spirit. No one is arguing the Holy Spirit's convicting work or the discipline of God in the life of a believer. None of that was mentioned or even intimated. You are assuming positions by me not stated or implied. Please stick with what I am saying and forgo imposing upon my words assumptions or interpretations not present or warranted.

However, for the sake of patience let's look at the verse you introduced:

While the believers "who have been trained by it" (the Divine discipline) have in their life a harvest of righteousness it is clear here that there are some believers who are not trained by it, implied by the statement, "for those who have been trained by it". And we know from verse 8 that only believers are spiritually disciplined.

These are believers who go further into negative volition toward God's plan and His Word. The go further into greater Divine discipline. Ultimately, if they do not respond to Divine discipline they have the sin unto death. The last cycle of discipline for the believer living in chaotic rebellion toward God and unresponsive to His escalating forms of loving discipline.

#42 Alex Quackenbush, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
  3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    By "righteous" do you mean a positional standing before God?
    You said
    I pointed out that you didn't mention the work of Holy Spirit in disciplining believers and bringing those who walking astray to repentance.
    Well, I'm not trying to assume or impose anything on you. I'm just asking a question.

Please explain what you see as the work of Holy Spirit in the life of a professing Christian that is showing no signs of salvation.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok, can we scratch the words "specific or certain" from this discussion? You are making way to much of this and not listening to what I'm saying.
    Let's just say that a person is changed and will show it outwardly if they have been converted. I have given you 9 scripture references during our discussion to back my beliefs. You have given 0.

Please give us some scripture to prove what you are saying. Otherwise, it is nothing more than your opinion.

How do you define "believe"? Even the demons believe and tremble.

In regards to your question, we are told to examine ourselves.

2Cr 13:5 Test yourselves {to see} if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test?

Oh! That's 10!

How many scripture references do you have?

#44 Amy.G, Nov 18, 2007
  5. Alex Quackenbush

We are made righteous in Christ. We have imputed to us the righteousness of Christ. In Christ we stand righteous before God. Correct.

canaday, Fine, I get your point but remember, when I am responding in a thread about a specific topic I can't always offer an ENCYCLOPEDIA of information that is of equal volume. So before believing I have forgotten something please ask first as here.
    The sign of salvation is Christ. The work of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer is numerous. Baptism into the body of Christ, sanctifying the human body for a residence of the Shekinah glory, sealing the believer until the day or redemption, filling the believer as he yields to the spirit through the intake of Scripture and exercising faith in that Scripture, to illuminate the believer, to convict the believer...this is just some of the work but that should help reveal I understand the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Is that a "complete" list? :laugh:

7. Alex Quackenbush

The problem isn't that I wasn't listening, it was that I was taking quite serious your emphatic statement and pressing for these SPECIFIC measurements. But sure, let's scratch it. I have given Scripture, you simply didn't accept its application. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.

Interesting you bring this up. First, realize that Christ did NOT die for the demons. They CANNOT believe on Christ as Savior, He didn't die for them. What they do believe is that He is indeed THE SAVIOR but it is useless to them. They tremble at what they know. The human being is promised that upon believe he is saved, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved". Belief is just what it is. If one is given the gospel pertaining to the Lord Jesus Christ and believe, they are saved.

Of course we are to test ourselves. I don't disagree with this at all, it is clearly God's protocol. No one is contending we are to examine ourselves. We are discussing the CRITERION (in my case) and CRITERIA (in your case). And the way to examine yourself is once again "Did you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ", if so, after examining yourself regarding your faith if indeed you believed the gospel and did not attempt some other method of salvation, you are saved. Look at the passage. What does it say about EXAMINING yourself? What is the criterion? Jesus Christ! That and that alone.

8. Alex Quackenbush

Ha ha ha...but hey...you know Q and his alleged verbosity...sounds tempting to formulate a complete list.

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for addressing the question. I agree, generally, with your analysis concerning an ever increasing discipline that could ultimately lead to the "sin unto death" if no repentance occurs.

Perhaps we can make greater progress here, as long as we stick to addressing scripture. I'll ask another question concerning scripture. Then, you ask about a certain passage and I promise to answer directly your question.

Isn't the author of Hebrews telling them that some of them who are claiming to be Christians, are in fact not really Christians. The way they can tell is that they are walking in sin and God is not disciplining them.

#49 canadyjd, Nov 18, 2007
  10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

There is no question that we are saved by grace through faith and nothing else. I have never said otherwise. I am saying there is a change in a person when they are converted. How else can we examine ourselves if there has never been any change? If we stay the same what would be the comparison? If we stayed the same as the old man after conversion, were we really converted?

This is why we should examine ourselves.

2Cr 13:5 Test yourselves {to see} if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test?

What does it mean to fail the test?

I'm still waiting for some scripture from you.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

(Removes the Jeopardy song tape and replaces it with "This is the song that never ends".)

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is the song that ne-ver ends...

It just goes on and on my friend....

la la la la .......................I forgot the words! :laugh:

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Some people started singing it not knowing what it was...

...etc...

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yeah, that's it! Brings back fond memories of my son when he was little. :tear: (happy tears)

15. Alex Quackenbush

I gave you the single criterion for determining if you are saved or not. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved"/

The test is have you believed the gospel or are you seeking salvation through some other means. If you believe then YOU ARE IN THE FAITH.

Again, if the criterion is single, faith in Christ. YOU are the one contending there is some unknowable additional numbers of measurements.

First you start out that there are certain measurements. Then you say you meant SPECIFIC and then you want to scratch it. All the while I have repeatedly said the same thing: There is one criterion, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" Now that is what is called Scripture. That is the criterion. I don't hold to some mysterious multiple measures you hold to so I am not the one required to post additional Scriptures.

As far as the one you post about testing one's self, it only supports what I said. It states to examine if you are in the faith. One is in the faith...how? By believing on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Enough time for now has been devoted here. Sunday evening provides other fun at home than just posting so my attention will be elsewhere tonight. I have provided the Scripture clearly stating the criterion for determining one is saved is: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved". I realize you aren't satisfied but that is your problem, but the fact is, is that it is Scripture and it is the single criterion.

But if you ever can tackle it here is my question you have yet to answer:

#55 Alex Quackenbush, Nov 18, 2007
  16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I've know lots of people who "claim" to believe in the name of Christ and thought they were saved, but they weren't, by their own admission after they were truly saved. My husband is one of them, so I have personal experience.

You do need to provide scripture to support your claim that one can be saved and have zero outward signs.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm gonna' get in this, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why, unless I feel I'm a headache or two short! :BangHead: :BangHead:

Ed

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Take an aspirin and jump on in! :laugh:

19. Alex Quackenbush

Okay, for the moment I will respond, the cat is sleeping (she is very sick and we are tending to her).
    The Bible does not say CLAIM to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. If they weren't SAVED then they DIDN'T believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. It appears here that you are trying to prove that "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" isn't sufficient for certainty of salvation. But your scenario only proves that not believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is certainty of NOT being saved.

It says "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved". It doesn't matter what someone CLAIMS, it matters what they believe. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved". That is Scripture. The Scripture requires no outward act. It requires just what it says, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved".

But if you ever can tackle it here is my question you have yet to answer:

#59 Alex Quackenbush, Nov 18, 2007
  20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The outward signs are not what saves us. I never implied that. We are saved by faith in Christ plus nothing. But, if we have believed in the saving sense (not as the demons do), then there will be outward evidence. Not 100% of the time, because that would mean we are perfect, but there will be evidence. How can you be a new creature and continue to behave like the old man with NO change? How can you have the very Spirit of God indwelling you and have no change in your desires or thoughts? The Spirit convicts us of sin for example. If you have no sensitivity to sin and it's offense to God, then the Spirit is not in you. These are evidences of the presence of God in you. And He is in you because you are a child of God by faith.

I would still like to see some scripture stating that there may not be a change in a person after conversion.

#60 Amy.G, Nov 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.