1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrinal error

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by El_Guero, Sep 1, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I think we are in agreement. And we might have been mis-reading each other's posts.

We need to preach the Word and let those that will repent - REPENT!

2. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes!:applause:

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

OK, Tom (and El Guero, as well). I do think this is "too freely paraphrased", if I may coin a phrase. And better, it probably "mis-paraphrased", as Tom B. put it. Has to do with "repent"and/or "repentance". And the misuse and abuse of "repent" and "repentance" just so happens to be one of my "theological" and/or "Bible" "pet-peeves", along with "Lordship salvation", "Calvinism vs. Arminianism" and a couple more, which I won't go into, here. Want to hit my "hot-button", Biblically? That is exactly how one does it! (FTR, Tom, I don't see that El Guero mentioned Ezek. 3 at all, in this thread, but maybe you are aware of this from someplace else. But it is not in this one, FWIW.)

Back to "repent". The Hebrew word properly and correctly translated "repent" is the word "nacham" (Str. # 5162). Occurs exactly ZERO times in Isaiah!! Isaiah never even remotely says anything about "repent"! Occurs exactly one time in Ezekiel (Ezekiel 24:14), where the Lord GOD (Adonai YHWH) says He will not repent (relent- NKJV, HCSB). Two other times in Ezekiel (Ez. 14:6; 18:30) the KJV improperly renders 'shuv' (turn or return) as 'repent", which one will find correctly rendered in the ASV, Darby, and YLT. We have, I believe wrongly, swallowed a 'tradition' almost hook, line and sinker from Medieval Catholicism (unfortunately, the 'Reformation' did not completely get it either), of confusing and confuting of repentance and penance, with its associated tendency to 'haul sin and ''behavior'' along for the ride'. I strongly disagree with this "tradition". I somewhat liken this to what the Lord Jesus Christ had to say about tradition, when He said the Pharisees made 'the word of God of no effect by their traditions'. He never questioned Satan, even when Satan mis-applied Scripture in the temptation (nor when some others did the same thing, as well), as to the use of Scripture, but rather referred to other scriptures or quoted them in context, and in fact encouraged others to do the same as in "Search the Scriptures...!" And actually, when confronted with the "tradition of the elders", He did exactly the same thing, showing what Scripture said. I suggest we would do well to do the same. The hayfield awaits, so I must go. I've said, or will be saying, a bit more about "repentance" on another thread titled "Two sides of the same coin". You might wish to check that out.

Ed

#24 EdSutton, Sep 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2006