1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrine of Kenosis, orthodox or heresy?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jan 12, 2011.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would these be examples of, omnipresence?

Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. Jn 1:48

And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts? Mt 9:4

And knowing their thoughts he said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: Mt 12:25

But he knew their thoughts; and he said to the man that had his hand withered, Rise up, and stand forth in the midst. And he arose and stood forth. Lu 6:8

But when Jesus saw the reasoning of their heart, he took a little child, and set him by his side Lu 9:47

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Strange, when I google kenosis and kenosis heresy that is exactly what comes about...the emptying of His divinity or putting aside His divine aspects while in human form.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you believe Christ was powerless while on earth? Also what is the difference between removing my jacket and setting it aside?

#23 webdog, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  4. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gottcha!!I often rush to type a response as well-which sometime takes away from my real intentions—if the original quote was yours (which it seems to have been)-I figured u didn’t mean it that way—that’s why I was asking-

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. That's what I have always believed was the kenosis theory.

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I never said that Christ was powerless while on earth. I said that He deferred to His Father and did what He did through prayer to His Father.

Christ Himself noted His divine nature on more than once occasion, including when He made it clear that no one would "take" His life, but rather that He laid down His life.

Christ did choose, however, to "limit" his power to obedience to His Father (He said on more than one occasion that "I do what I see My Father doing..."). He also (as has been pointed out a lot) was in one place at one time, He was active in time, and there was a DISTINCT difference during the time when He was transfigured.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I get the same results when I google Arminian... That's the nature of the web. Should we check in to see what Fred Phelps has to say about it? :smilewinkgrin: