1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrine statement +

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do a good bit of searching on the internet, and am aware of the existence of each of these. However, I've not spent time looking at or researching them. They all come from a conservative evangelical viewpoint. The Chicago Statement and the Danvers Statement have been around quite some time (1980s), while the latter two are recent.

For what it is worth, here is Wikipedia's take on each of them.
    Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy - Wikipedia
    Danvers Statement - Wikipedia
    Nashville Statement - Wikipedia
    Statement on Social Justice and the Gospel - Wikipedia

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first three at least are required to be held by SBC seminary professors, in addition to the Baptist Faith and Message.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first two definitely true at SEBTS, and the third almost certainly so. Ask Danny Akin.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found this on the SEBTS site. It is not clear to me that they are required to affirm Chicago and Danvers, but at least that they have affirmed them.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point is, there is not an across-the-board imposition of stuff like Dorothy's Folly or the Gaylord document on SBC seminary faculty. There are six SBC seminaries, they don't all load up their professors with all these extra screeds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southwestern Seminary makes reference to three of the documents, but apparently not necessarily that all faculty must subscribe to them. Again not clear to me.
    The Confession of Faith of the Seminary shall be the Baptist Faith and Message as adopted and amended by the Convention, and shall be subscribed to in writing by all faculty, without hesitation or mental reservation. The Confession of Faith does not exhaust the extent of the Seminary’s beliefs, however. The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, the Danvers Statement on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, and the Nashville Statement are recognized by the Seminary as guiding documents that clarify and establish the meaning of the Confession of Faith.​

This article linked indicates three statements – the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, the Danvers Statement on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, and the Nashville Statement – have been officially adopted by the board at Southern Seminary. My take on the article is that faculty at Southern and Boyce sign and teach according to the Abstract of Principles and the Baptist Faith and Message, and the other three documents are used to detail what the leadership thinks the first two mean in certain areas.
    The Board of Trustees of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary unanimously approved a recommendation to adopt “The Nashville Statement” as an official part of the school’s confessional documents yesterday during its fall meeting [2017]...Like the “Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy” and the “Danvers Statement on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood” — both previously adopted by the board...​

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Midwestern Seminary and Spurgeon College requires faculty subscribe to the Baptist Faith and Message (which is adopted as their statement of faith), and calls the Chicago, Danvers, and Nashville Statements “affirmed statements.” See What We Believe. I have not searched further to try to determine what they mean by that.

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Orleans Seminary’s Doctrinal Commitments page has this. Have not looked further.
    At Gateway Theological Seminary’s site I found this. There may be more if the site is searched carefully.

#10 rlvaughn, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you actually inquire of these seminaries whether prospective faculty candidates are *required* to agree with the three documents mentioned along with the BF&M2000 or they would not be considered, you should get a straight and clear answer.

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is some curiosity here for me, but I'm not SBC. Personally contacting each of these six seminaries for their answers goes way beyond my level of interest in the matter.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, I guess we will pray for you then!:Rolleyes :Whistling

• Friendly Friendly x 1