1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Doctrines of Grace", "TULIP", Augustine and Calvin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Thomas Helwys, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The DoG is simply a name change to introduce confusion into discussion. Thus debate over the fictitious differences, rather than a discussion of the doctrines.

This evasion effort is to avoid the truth that there is no support in scripture for the TULI of the Tulip.

We get the same shuck and jive with folks saying they are not Calvinists but Reformed. When asked which of the five points they disagree with, they are silent.

It should be clear to any objective bible student that the TULIP is defended by attacking those who disagree, evasion, misrepresentation, and the redefinition of words to rewrite scripture.

Choice means non-choice
    adoption means being born again rather than resurrection in glorified bodies.
    Love means salvation rather than providing the opportunity through faith for salvation, rewriting John 3:16.
    Regeneration occurs while separated from God, rather than to be made alive together with Christ.

The list is endless.

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Or, Perhaps, DOG is simply a term introduced to emphasize that they believe all salvation is of grace, including granting to some the gracious gift of faith itself.

Or, Perhaps, using "reformed" or "Doctrines of Grace" seems desireable since there is much of Calvin's belief & practice that we disagree with, thereby some may wish not to be known as calvinists.

Or, Perhaps, many use the term "DOG" because they have heard others use it to describe their particular soteriology, and they haven't though much about why they use the term...it's just another term to describe their beliefs.

(see, not everyone has to have secret, deceptive motivations) :)

Or, Perhaps, some people read the bible and come to conclusions similar to Luther/Calvin/MacArthur/Lloyd Jones & Piper without ever reading their writings.

OR....

Perhaps you are correct, and every DOG/Calvinist/Reformed/TULI person is in fact at conniving, lying, misrepresenting opponent of the Bible...
    ...or perhaps you might be misrepresenting us a bit?

Perhaps...

3. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

If you are implying that these fathers held to one or more petals of TULIP, I can show you an article that I found from reading on this very forum that shows that none of the fathers you quoted with one or two sentences believed as you are implying. Context of time and setting is everything. It is amusing to see people try to make the fathers adherents of varying amounts of Calvinism when this is simply not the case. The historical fact is that Augustine influenced and foreshadowed Calvin to an extent, but even he did not write from the same perspective that Calvin did.

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

The reason I keep "harping", as you put it, is because it is an important point that cannot be easily dismissed or ignored: DoG, or Calvinistic doctrine, was not taught by the fathers because it is not taught in scripture. That is the simple, scriptural, logical, historical, and theological explanation.

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Yes, that is the gist of the matter.

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Link please,

thanks,

7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Blind guides? Humanistic? See also the other parts I bolded.

Your content and manner are not conducive to discussion. But I must give it to you: you certainly have an uncanny ability to include the maximum amount of insults, mischaracterizations, falsehoods, and arrogance in one post that I have yet seen.

This post perfectly demonstrates why it is well nigh impossible to have a civil and rational discussion with some Calvinists.

I consider you to be my friend, one of several Calvinist friends I have made here, but posts such as this do nothing to help that friendship.

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

The only condemnation and condescension I see is coming from "your camp".

Why must your side do that? Why can't the questions simply be answered the first time they are asked instead of ignored or talked all around, and done so in a non-contemptuous way?

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Doctrines of Sovereign Grace are consistent with the teaching of Scripture. The Doctrines of "Freewillism" whether Pelagian, semi-Pelagian, or Arminian are not consistent with Scripture.

10. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Also, however, one must distinguish between the Latin fathers and the Greek fathers. It was the former who influenced the RCC and Protestantism. The Eastern Church whose theology was that of the Greek fathers is diametrically opposed to and never taught anything resembling the so-called DoG. Since the Eastern Church had the NT in its original Greek authorship, I trust the Eastern views as being in line with scripture on soteriology rather than the Western views which were Latin-influenced.

That is why it is very significant to me that the Greek fathers and early churches never taught the "DoG". This says to me that the DoG are not scriptural.

11. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I say unfortunately because I see attacks and insults coming from only one side in this which says to me that they can't defend their position.

12. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I want to go on record and say that I appreciate how you have presented your position, in words, manner, tone, and objectivity. If everyone would respond this way instead of making insults and personal attacks, we actually might get somewhere and understand each other better. Why can't this be done?

13. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I'm sorry that you are tired of me, really. This really hurts my feelings. Actually, I have said this many times on this board that I lean in the direction of Calvinism. To be sure, I question covenant theology, the Biblical proof is just not there. Unless you believe that in order to embrace TULIP you must also embrace covenant theology then there you have it, my stance in a nutshell. Pre-Mil pre-trib, dispensational, mildly calvinistic. No confusion at all.

Questioning doctrine is not attacking. Granted, I put ICON to the test more than any other here but here is an individual that uses the sledgehammer approach to making his case, pays little attention to the actual meaning in context of the Scriptures yet the reformed are there at his side, just because he knows how to cut and paste from Bible gateway. He Icon does to his credit keep it civil, I can't say the same for another poster in his corner who has anger issues and no one calls him out on it. But that's his problem not mine.

I sincerly pray that all is well. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

14. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I think it's probably best that I bow out of this thread I created, as I have got the answer to my original question.

The thread has done as I feared: degenerated into a ...... well, you know.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry I blew up---Type A kinda person & you hit the trip cord (right after I learned about the fire). There actually was a small fire in January (that I was not aware of) that was put out & reported so what did the landlord do.....absolutely nothing! Thank God these people were out of the house at the time. Only the dog & two cats have paid the ultimate sacrifice

On another note, I have stated pubically that I have no allegiance to Dipsy or CT....but I do believe in Systematic (salvation based ) theology. When we have these historical conversations, I can start opening books ...I personally use Gregg Allison's book "HISTORICAL THEOLOGY" as reference, but these church fathers were all over the boards .... Novatian expounds it one way, Sabellius another, Donatus another, Arius, Eunomius, Macedonius, another, Photinus, Apollinaris, another, Pelagius, Celestinus, another. Therefore, it is necessary that the rule for correct understanding of the prophets & apostles be framed in accordance with the standard of ecclesiastical interpretation.

As far as Im concerned, Augustine joined together the inspiration, canonicity, and authority of Scripture.
    In his commentary in "The City of God" he stated that" God produced the Scripture which is called canonical, which has paramount authority, and to which we yield assent in all matters of which we ought not to be ignorant, and yet cannot know of ourselves" That is how I roll.

16. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you and no problem, I'm not immune to being irritating at times. Was this fire in a house you own or rent? I'm a volunteer firefighter here in Carbon and get to see the results of the event up close from time to time, it's not a good thing. I got started in this endevor after having a small fire in my house in NJ 1995, even the small ones are quite expensive to fix and an emotional experience.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Welsh Calvinistic Methodist.... but they do Believers Baptism.:smilewinkgrin:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont own that house....that was a rental. But I only have one son & he should have been more astute to the hazards of a deteriorating & faulty gas furnace, particularly if it caused a fire previously. Such is the maturity of a 21 yo. But now the three are w/o a home ....so I have to quickly buy a bed for him & find him a place (probably my finished basement)

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did that---Dont blame my side, I have no side. BTW,
    Take a walk..... small pier & long walk! Now, figure out which side Im on:tongue3:

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cant take a little constructive criticism is all this is showing me. BTW, Im not a Calvinist.

Lastly, when you insult Calvinist, you insult 6 generations of family who were some of the nicest Christian people Ive ever met.....While Im not a Calvinist, I take it personally your constant disregard for them. I cant measure up to these folks....I have a strong & willful sin nature, but Im much better from the cuss I was 2 years ago. That is all I have to say to you.

#60 Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013