1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Documentary on Sexual Assigment of Babies

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gb93433, Oct 26, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is your issue with sexual assignment surgery/treatment or cultural/social sexual assignment? I don't think either are practices that stopped in the 50s but sexual assignment surgery/treatment is probably less popular than in the 50s with people now being more open to ambiguous sexuality.

Or is your issue that doctors made the choice? Parents now make the choice of whether to have sexual reassignment, whether to perform any surgery or therapy and which gender if they do. Doctors can give advice as to which gender might be more "successful" but the ultimate choice is the parents.

#2 Gold Dragon, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
  3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

As I have studied the issue of homosexuality I certainly am against any support of it. However as a christian when it comes to man's manipulation where should I stand and how must I treat possible mistakes by doctors especially when the baby was clearly hormonally a certain sex but the baby was changed through surgery. I simply cannot believe that surgery changes a sexual orientation originally imprinted by God in his infinite wisdom.

I wonder how many are on the street today and a mistake was made by the doctors at birth. From what have read it is likely that some were given a wrong assignment because the decision was made on the basis of what appeared to be proper considering the cultural environment rather than scientific/medical evidence. It is my understanding that assignment was given even against what the medical evidence showed in the baby. Could it be some of those people are called homosexual when they are really not? Could it be that some of these people were assigned a sex rather than let God do it and what it really was? Did man make a mistake and an individual must pay a price for it? Is it possible that some are called homosexual by Christians when God knows different because he knows how he really made them?

4. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think many of your questions have to do with an assumption that isn't quite true. That all of us are clearly either male or female.

The reality is that there are people, although it is rare, where during development or from their genes, gender is not at all clear. This is very different from a majority of homosexuals where developmentally and genetically they are clearly male or female but their sexual attraction is towards the same gender.

Most of us should know that XX is female and XY is male. The reason for ambiguities are from genetic, developmental and hormonal causes.

Genetic issues include Klinefelter's sydnrome of XXY
    Developmental issues include mosaicism where some cell populations are XY and others are XX.
    Hormonal issues include the functioning of testes and ovaries to produce the right hormones.

It takes a rare combination of these factors to have someone who has both male and female external and internal genitalia at birth and an ambiguous sex assignment.

I'm not sure how the medical recommendation is usually given but my assumption is that it is based on the relative functioning of testes or ovaries to determine which hormones are produced to a greater extent because that gender will have the most likely "success". The other consideration is the extent of development of external genitalia but that can usually be modified surgically to fit the hormone profile.

#4 Gold Dragon, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
  5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What you have stated is my point. From the studying I have done, it indicates that even when it was not clear that doctors decided to assign a sex of the infant. There were cases when the doctors assigned a sex externally when the sex through medical tests was clearly internally different than what was assigned. If the doctors made mistakes and we as Christians call it homosexuality in those cases are we wrong to do so? How do we deal with people caught in those cases. Do we judge them wrongly if this is truly the case?

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think their cases are definitely exceptions to the rule and grace is definitely required in their situation when we know for a fact that God dealt these people a very different card in terms of gender identity. I would say 99.999....% of homosexuality is not from some who underwent gender assignment.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you.