1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DOD police vs MP's

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most - if not all- Stateside posts/bases - have civilian uniformed police - Dept of Defense Police
    Years ago all law enforcement was handled by the military police -
    So what are your thoughts about the MP's being replaced with civilian police?

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shouldn't the military, police their own?... I was a Marine MP, been there done that... DOD civilian police?... Are one of the qualification they have to be prior military?... Salty that's a tough call... I'm partial to the MP's having been one... I wonder if they can whip out a snappy salute like I use to on gate and have the spit and polish of the Corp?... Us MP's were sharp!... Sounds to me like the Marine Corp now has Rent A Cops:eek:... OOOORAH!... Carry On... Brother Glen:)

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    About the only postive thing in this program is that civilian cops are not subject to Overseas PCS., thus saving money.

But I bet the civillian cops make more money - so that PCS cost savings is gone.

YES- I want to see MP's

I have always said - the biggest problem in the military is that it is run by civilians.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing new here. My father was a civilian police officer at Griffiss Air Force base back in the early 1960's.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with MPs is that they have little to no authority off base. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals even ruled that an MP cannot approach a military person and ask for ID unless the MP knows with certainty that the person is military, subject to the UCMJ, and probable cause exists that the person either just committed a crime, is committing a crime, or is about to commit a crime.

Once an MP goes out the gate he is just another person, lacking Peace Officer powers, and that raises issues regarding carrying firearms etc., not to mention running afoul of the Posse Comitatus Act.

The DoD Police, on the other had, are certified as peace officers in the state in which they work. In California they were POST certified (California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training). Here in Texas they are TCOLE certified (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement).

As civil rights issues have been clarified the rights guaranteed by the 4th, 5th, and 6th amendments, as they are now applied, require changes in how the military and peace officers in general perform their duties and are perceived by the public at large.

[Edited to add: In Texas MPs can also be TCOLE certified, but because they are subject to transfer and/or separation from service, and all states will not certify MPs, DoD police fulfill that mission.]

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahh yes, Posse Comitatus Act. A crime happens on base. The base LEO is in hot pursuit. A DoD cop keeps going passing the boundary. An MP needs to stop because of the Posse Comitatus Act.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This explains a lot! (The Posse Comitatus Act)

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just thinking- about 20 years ago - our radio stationed sponsored an Armed Forces Day at a local mall. I had many vehicles
    from the different Reserve/NG units in the area. I had contacted an MP and Air Police unit to see if they would be
    willing to provide traffic control. In essence, they informed me they could not do so off base. Bummer