1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does a Sinner Have to Do Anything to Be Saved?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Saved-By-Grace, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that! What I am saying, is that this is the ONLY Bible text that actually says it! In response to someone who said that Juts because Luke's Gospel says Jesus died for Judas, we cannot get a doctrine from this! This is bad "theology"!

2. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that the Jews were not the ONLY nation "elected" (chosen) by God? Please re-read your Old Testament!

3. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes you have to "do" something to get saved..........
    A blind, deaf, dumb, quadriplegic who can't even blink or sneeze can repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. That is something you "do" in your heart and there is a big difference in "doing" something in your heart and the physical actions we call "works".
    Ephesians 2: 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why trying to have an honest, adult, intelligent discussion with you is almost impossible. Nowhere did I say that any other NATION was elect. The question was, show me where the bible says that "election ONLY applies to Israel?" Israel. NOT the NATION of Israel.

Okay. This is going to stop now. One more insulting remark like that and I will ask for action from the Admin Council.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember when I said I would no longer interact with you? It was because you treat others like fools, and think you KNOW IT ALL! I read your exchanges with RevMitchell, etc, and see that YOU do have a problem!

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not my problem that you're dishonest about what I said. It is not my problem that you twist posts to mean what you know they don't mean. It is not my fault that you have to resort to such tactics because, for whatever reason, you can't honestly respond to what was posted.

Now, do you want to respond honestly to my question, "Show me the scripture that says nobody was elect in the Old Testament except Israel?"

Defend the proposition that those saved in Nineveh were not elect.

Just honestly defend your statement. Don't tell me to read the bible. I have read it cover to cover over 200 times in the last 70 years. I have preached clear through it several times. I have taught many subjects such as OT Survey, NT Survey, as well as word for word expositions of every NT book and several OT books. I have written commentaries (not for publication, for use in the Seminary) on every NT book and several OT books.

So do not condescendingly tell me to read the bible. I have. Now. Defend your proposition. The ball is in your court, to quote an earlier post.

7. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I can't waste any more time!

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with that. Trying to defend your ridiculous claim is a waste of time because you can't defend it! Just run away. Again.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

10. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Srsly? God doesn't save those He chooses to save?

You need to stick your nose deeper in your bible and study more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I have seen it all!! The NT believers are not chosen by God.

Serious studying of God's holy writ is lacking into today's churches. :( O O

• Like Like x 1
  12. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, God is very merciful and He says "I will have mercy upon those I will have mercy"

Romans 9:14-16

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[a] but on God, who has mercy.

13. Katarina Von Bora

Faith:
    Baptist
    A great illustration of proper exegesis of scripture.

14. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The people of Nineveh were not Jewish and therefore NOT "elected" as in the Old Testament the Nation of Israel are the ONLY nation that were "elect" of God. There is ZERO Bible evidence to show that any other nation or people were "elected" by God. YET, God Who is rich in Mercy, saved these to so the depths of His Love, Grace and Mercy! The so called "reformed/Calvinist" teaching that God only saves His "elect", is complete RUBBISH! Study your Bible without your biased blinkers!!!

15. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, a complete misuse of the Bible! The context has NOTHING to do with salvation! Nor does the "choosing" of Jacob, which is clearly stated in the Bible for "service", and again, nothing to do with any salvation! So, in Nineveh, God saved those who were NOT "His people", or in any way "elect"!

16. Katarina Von Bora

Faith:
    Baptist
    Name calling isn't allowed.
    No, it clearly teaches that God chooses whomever he choose and rejects the others. God is sovereign.

John 6:37-39English Standard Version (ESV)

37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.

John 6:44English Standard Version (ESV)

44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Romans 9:14-24English Standard Version (ESV)

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[a] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

Ephesians 1:3-11English Standard Version (ESV)

Spiritual Blessings in Christ

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us[a] for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known[b] to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

Romans 8:28-30English Standard Version (ESV)

28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,[a] for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Ephesians 2:8-10English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Acts 13:48English Standard Version (ESV)

48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Colossians 2:13English Standard Version (ESV)

13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

Titus 3:5English Standard Version (ESV)

5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

1 Peter 1:3English Standard Version (ESV)

Born Again to a Living Hope

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

2 Timothy 2:25English Standard Version (ESV)

25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,

Ezekiel 36:25-26English Standard Version (ESV)

25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. 26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

Deuteronomy 30:6English Standard Version (ESV)

6 And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you believe in double-predestination?

18. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am NOT making any personal attacks on you, only on your "beliefs" which are open to it

19. Katarina Von Bora

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't matter what I believe. It matters only that the Bible is true. The Bible teaches that God chose the elect before the foundation of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    sure it must matter what you believe! You said above, "rejects the others"? Can you show Scripture for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.