1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does a vote really mean 100% support?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Jun 5, 2008.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I noticed in another thread someone mention if they vote for Obama that means they are "basically supporting" abortion and gay marriage. But are you really?

The only reason I pose the question is because we don't use that logic with anything else. For those of us who voted for Bush...are we basically supporting EVERYTHING the man believes politically? Or did we vote for him because of what we wanted as an overall president, not for one or two issues? Or...maybe you did vote for him for one or two issues....but is that very responsible as a voter?

That's like those who may vote for someone only so marijuana will become legal...or is it not?

I guess I'm trying to pry myself away from the now famous 2-issue voting (gays/abortion) and actually vote for the best leader (which may be neither McCain nor Obama).

I'm sure there are tons of thoughts on this....

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the reason I like the fusion ballot (available in NY and a few other states) A candidate is able to be on several different party lines,

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. We live in a federal constitutional republic, we elect people who best represent our viewpoint and they vote according to their positions. Just because President Bush favors a bogus pre-emptive war (a position I am deeply troubled by) and since I voted for him (even though I want to take it back) my vote was to install him in office and doesn't mean I support all of his vantage points.

Yeah, evangelicals are in a very bad place right now. They have to choose between two pro-choice, big government people. Of course there is another option(s)...

I'm actually going to vote 3rd party this election. The way my home convention has been beholden to the Republican party makes me sick. Of course I think Senator Obama (as nice a person as I am sure he is) would be a drastic step in the wrong direction.

On this issue opinions are like body parts...everybody has lots...:)

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

If knowing the issue that you care most about defeating is going to be firmly ensconced for generations if a certain candidate is elected and then you vote for him, you are part of the problem. Even if that candidate has other favorable issues that you like. With a 70% Dem Congress and a Dem POTUS the judges that legislate from the bench will be forever there. Good bye to the family unit as we know it and hello to the abortion mill just around the corner.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

So you actually think the person in office is going to stop abortions?

I guess what makes me weary about this is that when we vote like this, our attitudes look to legislation, as opposed to the gospel, to change behaviors.

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

YOu couldn't be more wrong. When govt fails to protect the innocent and protects the murderer God will judge it. Legislation is needed to protect life against those that seek to kill it and then takes my honest hard earned money to pay for it. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!! The only way it will stop it short of a blood letting civil war, is by elections. Our nation had 87 years to protect those that had no voice and failed to do so. It led to the bloodiest war that this nation ever had. We have had nearly 40 years of legal abortions sense R v W. Time is running out for us to reascend this evil before God visits our sin upon us.

Meanwhile you and I had better be about God's business getting the gospel out so Christ can change hearts.

Now stop being an appeaser and help us put a stop to this massive murder of children.

#6 Palatka51, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Well, I guess where I disagree is that if we vote the right people in abortion will stop. Abortion, as well as other sins, will happen no matter who is in office. So, if you think voting for someone who is pro-choice means you are supporting the right to choose....does that follow for you on EVERY issue of politics? If not, why do others issues get exempt from your support, but abortion doesn't?

Not appeasing....just figuring out life.:thumbs:

8. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

This kind of rhetoric was present before (and during) the first Clinton presidency. Yet, we are still here. My family is still intact.

Politics never solves anything. To change the world begins when we encounter people with the Gospel not legislation. :)

9. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I think the number of abortions will decrease, and Lord willing stop, when people recognize that it isn't the answer to their problems, when they clean up their sex lives, and see it as a problem, not a solution.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And you are right, abortion will not stop. However using my money to fund those murders will. If a person wants an abortion then let them fund it with their own blood money.

Every candidate that has run with a pro life platform has also ran for the protection of the 2nd amendment, limited government, lower taxes and for a marriage amendment. So when I vote for that pro life candidate I am also voting for all the other issues that I favor.

11. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Not being snarky, but who are these candidates? I certainly don't know of one from either major party in the past 16 years. Who is running this time that meets these qualifications? :)

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Again I agree. :thumbs:

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I know exactly what you are asking. It is encouraging that our present President has at least appointed fairly competent judges and many are being held up by Congress sense '06.

Personally I have not made up my mind yet as to who to vote for. I will wait until the conventions have announced their platforms before I get behind anybody. I do know who I am not voting for.

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

It seems to me that part of the problem is the fact that there are only two major parties.

Our democratic system doesn't seem very "democratic" when it is virtually impossible for a third candidate to have a realistic shot at it. It shouldn't be about money, or party appeasers...just as I don't think it should be about one or two issues, it should be about the best leader for the job. I don't think we'll ever get the best leader in our nation as long as we keep functioning with a 2 party system.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Especially sense there's hardly a dime's worth of difference between the 2. :BangHead:

16. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

While it is true that it is difficult for a pro life president to stop abortions, it is equally true that it is easy for a pro choice president to press for more liberal abortion laws.

Either way, whether they can actually change it or not, the fact that one side wants to make abortion more available to more people and even pay for it with government funds, should be enough for any moral christian to oppose them.

I am sick of so-called christians making excuses for supporting pro abortion and pro gay candidates. There is no excuse for supporting evil.

And I know.....some say that the war in Iraq is evil. The war is strictly opinion with no biblical proof one way or the other......whereas abortion(murder) and homosexuality are addressed in the Bible and deemed as evil.

AJ

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Now SURELY you're not pointing ME out when you say you're sick of so called Christians...:thumbs:

I just think it is possible to vote for someone without being in 100% agreement...especially if you are in a position to "settle" for one over the other. So, what's it going to be for Christians if voting for even a moderately pro-choice candidate is the only option??? Will Christians "settle" for the Republican? Or will they doing something more?

I have no idea what we'd do, by the way.

18. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I am pointing out christians who support abortion and gay rights.....if the shoe fits, then wear it.

And Obama is not "moderately" pro choice...he is completely pro abortion.

I beleive the moral issues will affect our country and culture, and God's Kingdom for far longer than the war in Iraq will.

I would gladly fight a war to stop abortion and gay rights. I would be the first to enlist.

AJ

19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And so much so that he supports legislation that will allow a failed aborted baby die on the table while offering no assistance. I could never vote for this man for any reason under the sun. :tear:

20. dan e.

dan e. New Member

ummm...you're crazy?

I realize that...I was referring to the Republican, McCain.

okay....but what we are debating is how to achieve those morals, legislation vs. transformation. I'm not saying there shouldn't be laws against it, by the way.

so you're for a jihad, eh?