1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Ambiguity challenge Dynamic Equivalencnce?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN to the above!

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's your opinion,and you are welcome to it.

You make me smile Van. Your "nuff said" and Bottom line" are so cute.

I am certainly not advocating ambiguity. You have to twist words of other posters in this and other forums to appear to be such a fine fellow.

"Interpretation beyond the minimum" is another thing I have never said. what is it with you Van? Can't you simply deal with what someone says?

The NIV reading says Christ was a descendant of David --like the other versions said.You are making another mountain out of a anthill.(Molehills would are not small enough to qualify for your poor attempts at painting the NIV as some extreme translation.)

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatsamatter Van? Does the cat have your tongue? :)

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about that quote is fiction. How about providing an example where DE is necessary.
    You do not answer my questions then ask if the cat has my tongue.

Folks, Rippon advocates ambiguity, then asserts he didn't. Go figure.

Lets go over them.
    1) Rippon asserts the NIV is not a self proclaimed DE. There I quote from the Preface that it translates according to the author's thought. Strike one.

2) Then, shucking and jiving, Rippon posts that the NIV did not use that exact expression (DE). LOL Strike two.

3) Rippon posts: Sometimes the reason for maintaining ambiguity is that there may be mutifold meanings suggested by the rendering. reducing it down to something thta is easy to understand may actually mute the meaning that the author was intending."
    Then he posts he did not advocate ambiguity. Strike three.

Notice the lack of any content. I presented about one half dozen verses where I showed how ambiguity was introduced into the text. The NIV2011 introduces ambiguity in to gender specific renderings over 2000 times, making it a treasonous translation. Nuff said. And to restate the premise, "son" could be changed to "child" with a footnote "Lit. son"
    to both present the word meaning of the author and the thought (in the opinion of the translator) of the author. DE is not necessary.

#64 Van, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bottom line is none of the modern translations are actually faithful to the underlying text, but the NASB and ESV and NKJV are far more faithful than the NIV2011. HCSB does a pretty good job of avoiding the egregious errors of the NIV yet often times presents the actual message with more clarity than any of the so called more literal translations.