1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

does ANYBODY like....

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

I stay on point just like some harpoons
    develop thoughts in verbal dark rooms taking on these cartoons
    ya minds spinning like some typhoons
    these martial artists flip scripts to leave ya open like some gaping wounds
    call me 52 this predator
    my microphone's like Excalibur attacking y'all with metaphors
    so my competitors can now check ya exit doors
    ------------------------------------------------
    This is the part that I am talking about gekko.
    It appears that the performer is really getting caught up in themselves.
    To me it just dosen't sound very praisworthy, but someday you will get over this fad and become like the rest of us old timers. ;)

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Cole Porter, he ain't.

Now Playing: Libby Bosworth – “Libbiville”

3. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

One song I do sort of like is a collaboration of Jennifer Knapp and Grits called "Believe" which is part Rap and part Jennifer singing.

4. gekko

gekko New Member

who's Cole Porter?

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

One of the greatest lyricists of all time.

Now Playing: Loggins and Messina – “So Fine”

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A few years ago, I was at a gas station and the guy on the other side of the pump had his music turned way up. The music didn't bother me at all, but the lyrics were totally offensive. As with nearly every type of music I can think of, I can appreciate the music with the right lyrics. It's not something I would listen to on a regular basis, but that's my own personal preference.

7. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

Below An excerpt from Cole Porter's "Anything Goes"
    and if he were alive today he would do a better job at writing stuff for rap than what the world has to offer us today.

When Missus Ned McLean (God bless her)
    Can get Russian Reds to "yes" her,
    Then I suppose
    Anything goes.
    When Rockefeller still can hoard en-
    Nough money to let Max Gordon
    Produce his shows,
    Anything goes.
    The world has gone mad today,
    And good's bad today,
    And black's white today,
    And day's night today,
    And that gent today
    You gave a cent today
    Once had several chateaux.
    When folks who still can ride in jitneys
    Find out Vanderbilts and Whitneys
    Lack baby clo'es,
    Anything goes.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Thanks, Rocko.

Gecko, if you've ever seen "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", the song Rocko posted is the song that the girl sings at the beginning of the movie.

Cole Porter was known for clever, sophisticated lyrics and somewhat complex arrangements

He was a rather tragic figure during the Depression, but his songs were tremendous and still live on today as classics.

There's also an alt.country band called The Cole Porters, but they're not related.

Now Playing:Jo Stafford – “Getting Sentimental Over Tommy Dorsey”

9. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

http://www.marjosplace.com/files/FrankSinatraIGetAKickOutOfYou.wav
    (sorry about the quality,but can't you just imagine the band and the arrangement live! and of
    course the voice}

I agree about Cole Porter ...Gekko I would encourage
    you to open your mind to all kinds of music ..yes
    from the past...what is old ..sometimes is new.

Rap we had this debate with a nice chap ...Travelsong
    he changed my mind somewhat about rap but not enough
    to feel that it puts alot of good muscians out of work and we need to hear the whole family of musical instruments or Music will die...Rap has
    an attitude but it is good you listen to Christian
    Rap but again Rocko9 has a point...it seems introverted and with an attitude.

I have fear of Rap that it will blot out the Sun
    and You and other Young generations are missing out on something special. Expand your listening
    by all means...I did with Rap and I like Alicia
    Keys and a few other songs but not enough for me
    to becom a diehard fan.

Okay a different rendition of Cole Porte better
    quality ...its fantastic! imho

http://www.edition5.de/MP3Martin/Igetakickoutofyou.mp3

Gekko listen to the wonderful talented musicans all at work and excelling in thier craft.

10. gekko

gekko New Member

who ever said i don't listen to other kinds of music? of course i listen to rock, soul, punk, jazz, instrumental, techno, electronic, contemporary, gospel, praise, hymns, messianic jewish style, club... all sorts... although, i'm not the biggest fan of country. i do like some country. the only real secular music i listen to is jack johnson, damien rice, some collective soul (are they christian? or no?), 'crash' by dave matthews... that's 'bout it for non-christian music. the rest i listen to is all christian. i havn't boughtn' any non-christian albums. don't plan to either. it's not uplifting to me. i get the secular for the chord progressions, and different riff's and what not. cold porter is pretty good. i give him that. i've even been working on some rhyme's. God's put that through me. just a different way of fulfilling the great commish.

have a gooder. God Bless.
    gek.

11. nate

nate New Member

12. gekko

gekko New Member

ah yeah. i love crossmovement also! i like their Holy Culture album the most so far. i also like Da TRUTH, Flame and Tru Life. i havn't really listen'd to phanatik much. love their stuff though. KJ-52 is amazing. i like how he made two songs, put them on a demo cd, and got a friend of his (cause he could never get the chance) to give his demo cd to Eminem. what a witness eh? KJ's music vid. for Dear Slim apparently was on mtv trl. but he got boo'd and diss'd 'cuz everybody thought he was puttin' down eminem. but he's back in actions with his new album "behind the musik" love it.

gekko.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does God like it?

14. gekko

gekko New Member

i did end up clarifying that it was christian rap/hip-hop i was refering to.

does God like it? the christian rap/hip-hop glorifies Him don' it? i think it does.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought as much.

...the christian rap/hip-hop glorifies Him don' it?

How do you know?

16. gekko

gekko New Member

i know by reading the lyrics. how do you know it's not if you don't read it?

17. RandR

RandR New Member

There's no such thing as Christian music. Some lyrics honor Christ, some don't. The lyrics of some "Christian" songs don't. The lyrics of some "secular" songs do. Those who try to differentiate some styles of music as "more Christian" would probably make lousy foreign missionaries.

As far as rap/hip-hop, I generally don't care for it. (With some exceptions: I like some of the older Run-DMC stuff from the mid/late 80s and early Will Smith.)

18. gekko

gekko New Member

well it's classified as christian and secular music worldwide. so there's no point in making that argument here. it's not going to make a difference. christian lyrics makes christian music. is what the world says. i agree that some lyrics of christian songs don't. relient k is an example of that. and music is not what decides a missionary as lousy or not. preaching the gospel in love and in truth is what makes a non-lousy christian.

gekko

19. RandR

RandR New Member

We can use the world's nomenclature in conversation if it helps differentiate genres as long as we recognize that music (rhythm, meter, melody, harmony, etc.) is neither "secular" or "sacred" in and of itself. The point isn't lost on you...unfortunately, it is lost on too many of our brethren.

But I must respectfully disagree with you on the missionary point. What do you say of the missionary who carries culturally informed practices into the field, only to tell new converts that their indigenous music is "secular" and that they must adopt Western (as in European and North American, not "Country and and Western") styles in order for their worship to be "Christian." I'd say that kind of person would make a lousy missionary. And since you bring up preaching, I'd also question whether that person was preaching the gospel or the gospel plus North American cultural adaptations.

Perhaps my thoughts are too reflective for this thread. So let me try again....

Old 80s rap is neat.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not asking about the lyrics, I'm asking about the style of music. How do you know God's okay with rap or hip hop?